Replying to invites?

Last response: in Video Games
April 12, 2005 10:06:52 PM

When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat channels? Is
there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to type
his name in the chat window?

Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If you
bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
cauldron of bosses."

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

More about : replying invites

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:06:53 PM

Shenanigunner wrote:
> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
channels? Is
> there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to
type
> his name in the chat window?

Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
<source of last message to you>," for you.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:06:53 PM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat channels? Is
>there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to type
>his name in the chat window?

Nope, the only way is for you to type their name - that is of course
unless they sent you a tell first.

>Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If you
>bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
>cauldron of bosses."

I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can be
made unless you have looking for team on.
One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less of
hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.

Xocyll
April 12, 2005 10:06:53 PM

Dark Tyger wrote:

> Nope. Scorcho's just giving advice without knowing what the hell he's
> talking about. ;)

Doh!! :)
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:06:53 PM

Shenanigunner wrote:
> Does an invite set the auto-response to the inviter's /t channel?

Sorry, I was thinking of an invite like. "/t <you>, hey want to help
with a TF." And not the blind invite without the tell. My mistake.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:06:53 PM

Shenanigunner wrote:
> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
channels? Is
> there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter without having to
type
> his name in the chat window?
>
> Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to
"If you
> bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass
into a
> cauldron of bosses."

Here's what I do (maybe this will be more helpful than the first inane
response of mine).

/sea
type in first few characters of name
untoggle LFG button
hit the search button

I now see the level of the invitee, and can right-click and chat with
them. This is useful for really long names or names with a . or
something I didn't catch.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:06:53 PM

Xocyll wrote:

> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
be
> made unless you have looking for team on.
> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less
of
> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.

The problem with this is I've had occasion to broadcast LFT in an area
that I need to street sweep. In those situations I don't want a
general invite, but a response to a broadcast. For example when my
blaster needed to hunt Lost in TV, there was no way I was going to do
it solo, none of my SG or Friends list were on, so I broadcast LFT to
street hunt in TV and hooked up with 6 others street sweeping the same
area. If I'd had LFT on, I would likely have been invited to teams in
Striga Isle or some other far flung place.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:57:45 PM

Scorcho wrote:
> Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
> <source of last message to you>," for you.

IIRC, that doesn't work for team invitations, since they aren't actually
chat messages.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
> <source of last message to you>," for you.

Uh, yeah, duh. (I know, some experienced players don't know about the
simplest features sometimes - but I *did* write the B&M Guide...)

Does an invite set the auto-response to the inviter's /t channel?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 2 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:02:16 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:02:15 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Do you know about the backspace key to respond? It fills in "/t
>> <source of last message to you>," for you.
>
>Uh, yeah, duh. (I know, some experienced players don't know about the
>simplest features sometimes - but I *did* write the B&M Guide...)
>
>Does an invite set the auto-response to the inviter's /t channel?

Nope. Scorcho's just giving advice without knowing what the hell he's
talking about. ;)

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:58:26 PM

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>>
>> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
>be
>> made unless you have looking for team on.
>> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less
>of
>> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.
>>

>The problem with this is I've had occasion to broadcast LFT in an area
>that I need to street sweep. In those situations I don't want a
>general invite, but a response to a broadcast. For example when my
>blaster needed to hunt Lost in TV, there was no way I was going to do
>it solo, none of my SG or Friends list were on, so I broadcast LFT to
>street hunt in TV and hooked up with 6 others street sweeping the same
>area. If I'd had LFT on, I would likely have been invited to teams in
>Striga Isle or some other far flung place.

Yeah, but there's nothing stopping you from having LFT off until someone
who responded to your broadcast invited you.

It would be
Broadcast
tell
set lft on
invited

instead of

broadcast
invited

Because of course, just because you sent a broadcast doesn't mean the
blind invite you get afterwards is in response to that.

Xocyll
April 13, 2005 12:12:49 AM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading
> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
> signs say:
>
>>When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
>>channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
>>without having to type his name in the chat window?
>
> Nope, the only way is for you to type their name - that is of course
> unless they sent you a tell first.
>
>>Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to
>>"If you bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your
>>sorry ass into a cauldron of bosses."
>
> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
> be made unless you have looking for team on.
> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less of
> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.

Well, I'd make a modification to that only in that it be a toggle for the
player to choose to auto-refuse invites if LFG isn't on. I've received
blind invites before and accept them about 70% of the time.

I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
players who are being showed as in-mission.

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading
>> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
>> signs say:
>>
>>>When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
>>>channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
>>>without having to type his name in the chat window?
>>
>> Nope, the only way is for you to type their name - that is of course
>> unless they sent you a tell first.
>>
>>>Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to
>>>"If you bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your
>>>sorry ass into a cauldron of bosses."
>>
>> I just wish they'd done what I suggest way back when; no invite can
>> be made unless you have looking for team on.
>> One more tiny step for people who want to team, one planetload less of
>> hassle for people that don't want to team RIGHT NOW.
>
>Well, I'd make a modification to that only in that it be a toggle for the
>player to choose to auto-refuse invites if LFG isn't on. I've received
>blind invites before and accept them about 70% of the time.

Well that could work too I guess.

I don't accept blind invites period - it's a policy.
I have lft off, so if you aren't polite enough to send me a tell ASKING
me to team even though i'm not LFT, you aren't someone I want to team
with.

Or to put it another way, people who are too lazy to send a tell are
usually too lazy enough to make good teammates.

>I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
>have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
>players who are being showed as in-mission.

When you're talking about tells though it's not a blind invite anymore.
They would just set LFT on then reply "yeah sure" and you'd invite them.

You just couldn't BLIND invite them while they had LFT off.

Xocyll
April 13, 2005 1:48:01 AM

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
> Generally I /ignore before declining these random, silent drive-by
> invites. Wonder if it gets the point across?

How does that change what the inviter sees? Do they get an "ignored"
message with your decline?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 5 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:48:02 AM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:48:01 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>> Generally I /ignore before declining these random, silent drive-by
>> invites. Wonder if it gets the point across?
>
>How does that change what the inviter sees? Do they get an "ignored"
>message with your decline?

Any time you /ignore someone, they see a message saying that they have
been ignored by you. Unless this changed since January while I was
away.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:19:54 AM

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I now see the level of the invitee, and can right-click and chat with
> them. This is useful for really long names or names with a . or
> something I didn't catch.

Useful. The whole LFG/invite thing should be more tightly tied into the
chat system, IMHO.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 5 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:08:07 AM

Xocyll wrote:
> I don't accept blind invites period - it's a policy. I have lft off,
> so if you aren't polite enough to send me a tell ASKING me to team
> even though i'm not LFT, you aren't someone I want to team with.
>
> Or to put it another way, people who are too lazy to send a tell are
> usually too lazy enough to make good teammates.

At lower levels, I figure it's ignorance as much as laziness. When I get
a blind invite, I fire back a tell asking, "What's the plan?" Prompt
There's often no response at all, which pretty clearly indicates
somebody I don't want to team with.

FWIW, I normally invite first, /tell second when the target is LFT. I've
seen too many toons accept somebody else's invite while I'm typing up
the /tell, especially if it's a high-demand team AT.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
> channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
> without having to type his name in the chat window?

A long time ago, back in Issue 1 (after the beta/closed beta/open
beta) it was discovered that the 'Seek Team' button would come on
when changing zones. Sometimes even during the login process.

Many messages passed back and forth between the community and the
devs. It became common knowledge that 'LFT' did not always mean
'LFT'.

Invites still came without tells.

Jokes were made about it (Ctrl-Alt-Del I think did a couple). This
was also before the enable/disable teleport toggle.

So, once some of these people got to be 40 (the highest back then)
and they would start their new alts while waiting for Issue #2 and
the fixes, the invites kept coming.

Finally, they fixed the bug, and the 'Seek Team' no longer came on
while zoning.

Did it stop the blind invites? Nope.

Now that I am in an established and active SG, and friends with other
characters in other SGs, I send a quick tell on 'Friends' if anyone
knows this 'Blind Inviter'. If no one knows them, and they are not in
my (now) global list, I just click 'No'.

If the invite comes again from the same person I have several

1. Keep the invite window open and moved out of the way, and continue
what I'm doing.

2. Click 'No' again, and hide.

3. If I'm feeling gregarious, I'll send a quick tell to the inviter
and ask them what is going on.

4. If I have some time, I'll do a quick search for the person and
check their info (if in range) or at least their level.

If I have done all four of these, and the invite keeps coming from
the person, I'll consider Petitioning them.

A long time ago I was being harassed by a player that was KS'ng me,
sending me tells, and really annoying the carp out of me. I invited
him, SK'd him up to me, flew real high in PP near the hydras, TP'd
him to me and watched him drop into the mobs while unSK'ng him and
quitting team.

When I posted the incident here, on this NG (or it might have been
the alt.games.rpg before alt.games.coh) I was ripped to shreads by
the community here (or there) as being a griefer.

I learned.

I have not done any 'griefing' since and the toon I had back then has
not been around since before Issue 2.

Long story to say just this one simple thing:
If you blind invite me, and continue to blind invite me or my
characters, you will be reported/petitioned as harassment. And every
one of the people I know will be informed and warned about the
inviter.

By limiting the number of people that you can talk to because you are
now on global ignore and server ignore by several people you're
chances of being PL'd have dropped DRASTICALLY.

As to the broadcasters that want a PL.....immediate and permanent
/ignore.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:10:10 PM

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
>
>> When you get an invite, does that register on any of the chat
>> channels? Is there a way to reply (tell) directly to the inviter
>> without having to type his name in the chat window?
>
>A long time ago, back in Issue 1 (after the beta/closed beta/open
>beta) it was discovered that the 'Seek Team' button would come on
>when changing zones. Sometimes even during the login process.
>
>Many messages passed back and forth between the community and the
>devs. It became common knowledge that 'LFT' did not always mean
>'LFT'.

>Invites still came without tells.

Oh I remember this all too well, and the "blind inviters" used this as
an excuse in the forum again and again and again.

"But, but, but you DID have LFT set on."

Little known addendum to that bug, it only happened if you had _ever_
turned LFT on, if you hadn't, the bug did NOT turn it on.

Needless to say I got blind invites from people who tried to claim after
the fact (in broadcast after being insulted) that I had LFT on, even
though i'd never turned it on, and a quick check showed that it was off.

It's kids (and by that I mean immature people from preteen to teens) who
want something NOW and can't be bothered expending any effort and aren't
willing to wait one nanosecond more.
What you want is irrelevant, only what they want matters, and they want
someone of your AT/level on their team RIGHT NOW because they think they
"need" you.
Just like they "need" to be PL'd, "need" to be given inf handouts, etc.

Blind invites became significantly more of a nuisance while I was
playing the various tank builds - since all the idiots *know* they
"need" a tank on the team to pay meatshield for them.

And yes, I did get tells from some of these idiots *after* i'd clicked
no to the invite (sometimes repeatedly), telling me how much they NEEDED
me.
Their need of course was why they were inviting someone who wasn't LFT,
was 3 levels higher than any of them, and was 5 zones away and expected
to drop everything and go where they were.

>Did it stop the blind invites? Nope.

Nothing will stop blind invites except making it impossible to send
blind invites, thus my "no LFT = no invites" idea.

It's exactly the same as the SPAM problem in e-mail - the only thing
that will stop it is to make it totally illegal to make money from spam.

Leave a loophole and people WILL find it and WILL use it.

Xocyll
April 13, 2005 2:45:26 PM

The big problem is that hero finder screen makes it too easy to invite
someone, regardless of their LFT status. The devs could make one easy
change to this screen that pops up a question like "This person is not
currently looking for a team, are you sure you want to send them an
invitation?".

Or, how about an option like "Accept tells only from people in my SG or
on my friends list"?

Right now I've found the easiest way to avoid tells and group invites
is just to go /hide when I want to solo. The only time you'd get a
tell or an invite at that point would be if they were someone who saw
you pass by OR if they added you to their global friends list (which
you do have to approve of) and can see you that way.
April 13, 2005 6:38:27 PM

> Or to put it another way, people who are too lazy to send a tell are
> usually too lazy enough to make good teammates.

Or....they are people trying to keep a full group together because the last
3 invites had to 1. Go to Taco Bell real quick 2. I can play for the next
15 minutes then have to leave for class. 3. Dad wants the computer.......as
this thread points out different people have different opinions about blind
invites so just because 1 person says those people should go to hell for
doing it doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. If I do a blind invite
to your character because I'm in a hurry.....don't accept it, possibly I
don't have the time to type out War And Peace to everyone I want to invite.
I'd say about 75%+ of the people that I have invited that were not lft
actually accepted and stayed with the group. So for future reference, I'm
sorry if you have to click refuse and welcome it you click accept.

Talk to the Devs if you don't want your character to be searched by nlft.

Dave
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:52:40 PM

"StreetHunter" <googlerob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| The big problem is that hero finder screen makes it too easy to invite
| someone, regardless of their LFT status. The devs could make one easy
| change to this screen that pops up a question like "This person is not
| currently looking for a team, are you sure you want to send them an
| invitation?".
|
| Or, how about an option like "Accept tells only from people in my SG or
| on my friends list"?
|
| Right now I've found the easiest way to avoid tells and group invites
| is just to go /hide when I want to solo. The only time you'd get a
| tell or an invite at that point would be if they were someone who saw
| you pass by OR if they added you to their global friends list (which
| you do have to approve of) and can see you that way.

On the COH TEST server, the LFT (looking for team) allows a message to
be typed up as a form of "auto response" (example - "Wants to do street
hunting" or "looking for Fortune Teller mission").
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:57:16 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:53:31 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
wrote:

> Any time you /ignore someone, they see a message saying that they have
> been ignored by you. Unless this changed since January while I was
> away.

According to a recent discussion on the LJ CoH community, the /ignore
command has indeed been gentled over the last few months. Someone tested
it and got no message.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:57:17 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:57:16 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:53:31 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Any time you /ignore someone, they see a message saying that they have
>> been ignored by you. Unless this changed since January while I was
>> away.
>
>According to a recent discussion on the LJ CoH community, the /ignore
>command has indeed been gentled over the last few months. Someone tested
>it and got no message.

That's pretty stupid. I thought giving the ignored person a message
was a -GOOD- thing.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:02:47 AM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:12:49 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
<dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

> I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
> have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
> players who are being showed as in-mission.

I have actually received such polite tells, although not often on the US
servers and never on the European. The blind invite is by far the most
common. If people are being polite, however, I will generally be much more
likely to postpone my own missions in order to help them, if they have a
compelling reason of course. (Cape mission, respec etc.)

good sign." -G
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:02:48 AM

Magnus Itland wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:12:49 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
>
>> I've also sent polite tells to people without their LFG on asking if they
>> have any interest in joining a team for <whatever> - barring, of course,
>> players who are being showed as in-mission.
>
> I have actually received such polite tells, although not often on the US
> servers and never on the European. The blind invite is by far the most
> common. If people are being polite, however, I will generally be much more
> likely to postpone my own missions in order to help them, if they have a
> compelling reason of course. (Cape mission, respec etc.)

I refuse blind invites 99% of the time.

Polite tells, I'll at least reply to with a no-thanks. Not matter what
I'm being asked to do - team, TF, bridge, whatever.

I do that because I'll always send a tell before an invite and if someone
doesn't reply, I'll move on to the next one. I've found most people very
happy to reply to tells asking if they want to do a specific TF or
whatever. A lot of the time they even want to actually do the TF!

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

okies...my 2 cents...
Pet Peeve on blind invites is the people that a) don't read my bio which
plainly says I do NOT do Hollows missions or hunts... and B) Don't seem to
take NO for an answer and constantly invite after i have refused the first.

I abhor the Hollows as a debt trap...

Crash Truck...10L Def\electric Triumph
Ms Mystery 50 L Illus\Ken Triumph
Debt Truck 16 l Fire Tank Triumph
Danny Rand 17 l Magic Scrapper Triumph
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:14:26 AM

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
> Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If
you
> bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
> cauldron of bosses."

Interesting topic and quite relevant to my experience yesterday. Two
things:

I did do a bunch of blind invites to those in very close proximity to
myself, though this may be an exception to the views of many who have
responded to the original post. In fact one person who did decline an
invite soon after asked to be invited. Needed a tank and did a search and
found a few LFT. Did a blind invite (no tell prior) and got a few declines.
One tank was kind enough to say that he was looking for badge hunters and I
kindly replied "thanks for the response, I was just looking for some help to
deal with an octopus." at which point he said he would gladly help and asked
to be reinvited (he did get a badge afterall). Now as you can see by the
last sentence, this was purely to deal with the big ol 8 legged freak in IP.
In all, everyone who accepted the invitation was quite happy with the
outcome. Now, if all the heroes watching this fish splash around was
invited to team by me, is that considered rude? Honestly, this may be an
exception unless you are some crazy tank who thinks he can solo the damn
thing.

As for Shenanigan porting someone's "sorry ass into a cauldron of bosses", I
should have done this to some wank that decided to stick with my team after
the octopus and when we opted to do one of his freaklympics or some such
mission first and not halfway through the mission he goes afk for dinner. I
threated to do this very thing but one of my cyberfreinds had a kinder heart
than me and said he should be back. He did say something later in the
mission but did not move. Mission complete he quit the team. Wish I could
remember his hero name, Srg something on Infinity. Hopefully he ends up on
a team of mine later so I can exact my revenge especially since he has his
team tp prompt off.

DC
--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 29 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>> Would be useful for auto-replies, from "Logging soon, no thanks" to "If
>you
>> bother me again, I'm going to join and then teleport your sorry ass into a
>> cauldron of bosses."
>
>Interesting topic and quite relevant to my experience yesterday. Two
>things:
>
>I did do a bunch of blind invites to those in very close proximity to
>myself, though this may be an exception to the views of many who have
>responded to the original post.

If i'm on my way to do something I tend to just click no. If i'm not in
a rush, i'll do a pan&scan to see if the inviter is in sight (which may
just be someone hunting the same kind of critters i've been hitting for
the same reason.) If they are one of the support type ATs i'll send
them a tell saying i'm not really looking for a team, "but do they need
help?" That is, i'll do that if they're near the same level as me -
substantially lower and i'm going to assume they're looking for PLing.

The ones not in the immediate area I feed into the team locator so I can
see their location, AT and level. These are almost always someone
lower level in another zone and get a silent decline. Sometimes
repeatedly.

One bright spark invited me 4 times, and only after the 4th decline sent
a tell whining "but we need you".
Well sunshine, if you NEED me you should have asked me or help before
sending an invite, I probably would have helped in that case.

To give an odd analogy I thought of last night; blind invites are just
like grabbing someone and trying to drag them onto the dance floor.
There might be some people that don't mind that technique, but most
prefer to be asked if they want to dance first.

>In fact one person who did decline an
>invite soon after asked to be invited. Needed a tank and did a search and
>found a few LFT. Did a blind invite (no tell prior)

This isn't _really_ a blind invite since they ARE looking for a team.
Yeah, it would be better to send a tell first, but you know in advance
that they ARE looking to team.

and got a few declines.
>One tank was kind enough to say that he was looking for badge hunters

As was suggested in the forums, the seek team thing really needs another
overhaul and the addition of a checkbox for what kind of team you're
looking for (street, missions, TF, trial, respec, badges, etc).

Xocyll
April 14, 2005 6:06:59 PM

> Frankly, I believe it does. And I know for a fact I'm not alone in
> this by a LONG shot. (And "blind invite" implies that the invited
> person doesn't have LFT on.) Hear complaints about it all the time,
> and every time see a chorus of "Hear hear!"s and the like to the
> complaints.
>
> --
> Dark Tyger

Oh so it went from popular opinion to "I'm not alone in this by a long
shot".....cool!

Dave
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:07:00 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:06:59 GMT, "Mulligan"
<davewilson69@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Frankly, I believe it does. And I know for a fact I'm not alone in
>> this by a LONG shot. (And "blind invite" implies that the invited
>> person doesn't have LFT on.) Hear complaints about it all the time,
>> and every time see a chorus of "Hear hear!"s and the like to the
>> complaints.
>>
>> --
>> Dark Tyger
>
>Oh so it went from popular opinion to "I'm not alone in this by a long
>shot".....cool!

Ooh, nice dodge! Not.

You...realize that those are quite similar statements, right?

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:09:51 PM

> As was suggested in the forums, the seek team thing really needs another
> overhaul and the addition of a checkbox for what kind of team you're
> looking for (street, missions, TF, trial, respec, badges, etc).

That was something that they have been trying to get added to the search
function, but they are having difficulties getting it to work properly. I
think on Test that they have added something, but am not sure.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

The current setup on Test is as follows. You have a drop box with
exclusive radio buttons for the type of team and a text box for a
description, your default is 'Not looking for team'.

In nonTech this means your 'Seek Team' button is replaced by a menu with
the following choices, not looking, looking for anything, looking for
missions, looking for hunting, looking for trial, looking for TF, and
looking for arena. You can only choose one label but you can say
"Anything but..." in the text box. The stuff you type in the box is
listed after you in the 'Find Members' window. Unfortunately there is a
bug and a problem with this. The bug, last I checked, was that if I
selected a level range and hit 'search', my computer locked. The problem
is that the Arena is also on Test and nobody is looking for anything but
arena groups, especially if they can't figure out that the word
'anything' includes activities other than arena fights.
--
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.
Anonymous

Xocyll wrote:
> Every time there's a new wave of players, there's blind invites and
> people asking stupid questions over chat - stupid as in "covered in the
> manual they couldn't be bothered looking at."

That quite disproves DT's claim that newbies intuitively understand that
blind invites are bad, doesn't it?
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Dark Tyger wrote:
> Not a valid comparison at all.

Sure it is. A blind invite is usually somewhat annoying but not at all
harmful -- exactly like getting disturbed by an unexpected knock on your
front door.

> This is more like tossing a basketball without even a "heads up!" to
> every total stranger who passes by expecting them to shoot hoops with
> you regardless of what they're doing at the time.

Too silly. See, you could actually get hurt by that. Blind invites are
harmless, merely annoying.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:46:51 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>> This is more like tossing a basketball without even a "heads up!" to
>> every total stranger who passes by expecting them to shoot hoops with
>> you regardless of what they're doing at the time.
>
>Too silly. See, you could actually get hurt by that. Blind invites are
>harmless, merely annoying.

Blind invites have gotten me killed in-game when my view is suddenly
partially obscured during a tough fight and I have to quickly get rid
of the confirm box and fight at the same time.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:52:38 PM

Magnus Itland wrote:
> Probably not totally alone. However, as the game interface is now,
> there are two mutually exclusive states: (LFT) / not(LFT). The basic
> assumption must be that not(LFT)=(not LFT).

Incorrect. There are three states: LFT, default, hidden. If you really
don't want to team up, use the last one. (Also, I will readily agree
that blind invites sent to a hidden player /are/ rude.)
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Dark Tyger wrote...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:10:57 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>
> >The invitation /is/ communication. It's like knocking on a neighbor's
> >door. You could call first, but most folks IME don't bother, especially
> >not kids.
>
> Not a valid comparison at all. This is more like tossing a basketball
> without even a "heads up!" to every total stranger who passes by
> expecting them to shoot hoops with you regardless of what they're
> doing at the time.

Except that all of the total strangers are dressed in basketball
uniforms and wandering around the same basketball court.

It's a multiplayer game, sending people an invite without sending a tell
first isn't rude unless it's obvious they don't want to team with you.
Is it more polite sending a tell first? Sure, but it's not rude if you
don't.

Zoiks!
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:15:26 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:15:25 GMT, Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> wrote:

>Except that all of the total strangers are dressed in basketball
>uniforms and wandering around the same basketball court.

No, just playing/recreating in the same park that has the court.

>It's a multiplayer game, sending people an invite without sending a tell
>first isn't rude unless it's obvious they don't want to team with you.

The fact that they don't have LFT up and haven't announced that they
want to team should be enough of a hint for any rational human being
to realize that they probably aren't interested in teaming and it
would be polite to find out before popping a confirm window in the
middle of their game view.

--

Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Dark Tyger wrote...
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:10:57 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
>> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The invitation /is/ communication. It's like knocking on a neighbor's
>> >door. You could call first, but most folks IME don't bother, especially
>> >not kids.
>>
>> Not a valid comparison at all. This is more like tossing a basketball
>> without even a "heads up!" to every total stranger who passes by
>> expecting them to shoot hoops with you regardless of what they're
>> doing at the time.
>
>Except that all of the total strangers are dressed in basketball
>uniforms and wandering around the same basketball court.
>
>It's a multiplayer game, sending people an invite without sending a tell
>first isn't rude unless it's obvious they don't want to team with you.
>Is it more polite sending a tell first? Sure, but it's not rude if you
>don't.

If they don't have LFT on, then they are making it obvious they aren't
looking for a team.

Sending an invite to someone who IS looking for a team, isn't rude, even
if it is blind, because they have already made it public they WANT TO
TEAM.

The problem is the people who say want a level 15-20 tanker, and search
for exactly that. The list DOES only show those people with LFT set,
UNLESS the person searching DISABLES the LFT limiting.

They know damn well you aren't looking, because they searched for EVERY
tanker in those levels, not just the ones looking for a team. Even then
the list clearly marks the ones that are looking for a team with a big
G.

Sending a blind invite to someone you KNOW isn't looking to team, is
extremely rude.

But the blind inviters don't care - they know you aren't looking, so why
should they actually expend some effort sending you a message asking you
to team, when they can right-click invite.
They know there's a damn good chance you're going to say no, so they
expend the minimum possible effort.

Cause hey, typing is hard for someone who can't think, but clicking
isn't.

Xocyll
April 15, 2005 3:57:53 AM

Dark Tyger wrote:
> The fact that they don't have LFT up and haven't announced that they
> want to team should be enough of a hint for any rational human being
> to realize that they probably aren't interested in teaming ....

Repeating this does not make it true. If you don't want to be bothered,
/hide. Leaving LFT off just means you're not advertising for teammates.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Xocyll wrote:
> If they don't have LFT on, then they are making it obvious they aren't
> looking for a team.

Repeating this does not make it true.

> Sending an invite to someone who IS looking for a team, isn't rude,
> even if it is blind, because they have already made it public they
> WANT TO TEAM.

See, you implicitly recognize that LFT is an advertisement. However, you
fail to recognize that "no advertisement" is not synonymous with "do not
disturb." That's what /hide is for.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
> What you've written above pretty well describes me, too - If I *really*
> want to solo, I'll /hide. If I *really* want to team, I'll put LFT on
> followed by a broadcast in the zone that I'm a level $X $primary/$secondary
> $archetype looking for team.
>
> If I'm soloing but wouldn't mind joining up, I'll usually accept a blind
> invite, though I certainly appreciate a tell, first (this usually, IME,
> indicates a team with decent communication anyway)

Yeah, that's exactly how I play too. It's a little trickier if you're
only willing to team up with friends, although the global friends list
(or teamspeak, if you use that) means that it's only a little more
effort.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Robotech_Master wrote:

> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's?
> Ah well, at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can
> put an "ask before inviting" in their comment field or
> something.)

It's nice to see that there is going to be something to look forward to
in I4 for those of us who don't care about PvP. I actually like CoH's
teaming features a lot (I don't think any other MMO has SK'ing or
Exemp'ing), and having a little ionformation text that shows up in the
/sea window will make it that much nicer.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:23:54 PM

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>> If they don't have LFT on, then they are making it obvious they aren't
>> looking for a team.
>
>Repeating this does not make it true.

No, the fact it was hashed out in the forums and in chat again and again
and again, AND the fact that /hide DID NOT EXIST at release, make it
true.

>> Sending an invite to someone who IS looking for a team, isn't rude,
>> even if it is blind, because they have already made it public they
>> WANT TO TEAM.
>
>See, you implicitly recognize that LFT is an advertisement. However, you
>fail to recognize that "no advertisement" is not synonymous with "do not
>disturb." That's what /hide is for.

You can parrot this all you like and it will never make it true.

It's not a 3 way, it's a binary solution, you are or you aren't;
Lft on or off.

YOU might want to believe it's active on, passive on, don't bug me, but
that's not how it is.

If your trinary solution was the actual case, being hidden would make it
impossible to get blind invites. This is most assuredly not the case.

From he recent updates list
"Use the /hide command to appear offline on people’s Friends lists (and
Supergroup rosters). Use the /unhide command to appear as online again."

I note that it says nothing here about using hide to remove your self
from team lists, or to use it to hide from blind invites, so that's
OBVIOUSLY not the intended use for it - even if that's what you think
it's for.

Xocyll
April 15, 2005 7:17:36 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:50:54 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

> I use LFT to mean "I want a team ASAP" and /hide to mean "I'm
> soloing or testing binds, leave me alone." I use the default
> setting to mean, "I wouldn't mind a team-up, but I don't want to
> advertise."

There are also those people who use LFT to mean "I might want to team
but want to be asked first" and will then harangue you for
"blind-inviting" them if you invite them without a tell first.

But the majority of people seem to use LFT to indicate "looking for
team without asking first" and non-LFT to indicate "may or may not be
amenable to teaming, but certainly not if you don't ask me first."

(And that's what gets me about those LFT = blind invite people. What
are we supposed to be, psychic? Supposed to read their minds that
_their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's? Ah well,
at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can put an "ask before
inviting" in their comment field or something.)

The only times to ask before inviting someone who is clearly LFT are,
in my view, if you're about to commit to a Task Force that such a
person might not have time for, or if you're all the way across the
city from the invitee and need to know if he's up for the travel time
first. If someone *isn't* LFT, then you should *always* ask first.
It's just common courtesy (which is, sadly, not so common at all these
days).

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:23:16 PM

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:50:54 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>
>> I use LFT to mean "I want a team ASAP" and /hide to mean "I'm
>> soloing or testing binds, leave me alone." I use the default
>> setting to mean, "I wouldn't mind a team-up, but I don't want to
>> advertise."
>
> There are also those people who use LFT to mean "I might want to team
> but want to be asked first" and will then harangue you for
> "blind-inviting" them if you invite them without a tell first.
>
> But the majority of people seem to use LFT to indicate "looking for
> team without asking first" and non-LFT to indicate "may or may not be
> amenable to teaming, but certainly not if you don't ask me first."
>
> (And that's what gets me about those LFT = blind invite people. What
> are we supposed to be, psychic? Supposed to read their minds that
> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's? Ah well,
> at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can put an "ask before
> inviting" in their comment field or something.)
>
> The only times to ask before inviting someone who is clearly LFT are,
> in my view, if you're about to commit to a Task Force that such a
> person might not have time for, or if you're all the way across the
> city from the invitee and need to know if he's up for the travel time
> first. If someone *isn't* LFT, then you should *always* ask first.
> It's just common courtesy (which is, sadly, not so common at all these
> days).

Agreed. I usually leave my LFT off unless specifically looking for a
team, but I'm certainly not above joining one if asked. Last night I was
soloing in some door missions and received a tell asking if I was
interested in doing some 30-31 missions when I was done. Since I was
close to levelling (~60K or so) I thought it would be a great idea and
joined the team after I finished the mission.

Unfortunately, the team ended up consisting of 4 ~30's and 4 < 15's,
which made me leave (I've *rarely* seen a 50/50 SK team do well in ++30
missions, but that's another thread)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:23:17 PM

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:50:54 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
>> <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I use LFT to mean "I want a team ASAP" and /hide to mean "I'm
>>> soloing or testing binds, leave me alone." I use the default
>>> setting to mean, "I wouldn't mind a team-up, but I don't want to
>>> advertise."
>>
>> There are also those people who use LFT to mean "I might want to team
>> but want to be asked first" and will then harangue you for
>> "blind-inviting" them if you invite them without a tell first.
>>
>> But the majority of people seem to use LFT to indicate "looking for
>> team without asking first" and non-LFT to indicate "may or may not be
>> amenable to teaming, but certainly not if you don't ask me first."
>>
>> (And that's what gets me about those LFT = blind invite people. What
>> are we supposed to be, psychic? Supposed to read their minds that
>> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's? Ah well,
>> at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can put an "ask before
>> inviting" in their comment field or something.)
>>
>> The only times to ask before inviting someone who is clearly LFT are,
>> in my view, if you're about to commit to a Task Force that such a
>> person might not have time for, or if you're all the way across the
>> city from the invitee and need to know if he's up for the travel time
>> first. If someone *isn't* LFT, then you should *always* ask first.
>> It's just common courtesy (which is, sadly, not so common at all these
>> days).
>
>Agreed. I usually leave my LFT off unless specifically looking for a
>team, but I'm certainly not above joining one if asked. Last night I was
>soloing in some door missions and received a tell asking if I was
>interested in doing some 30-31 missions when I was done. Since I was
>close to levelling (~60K or so) I thought it would be a great idea and
>joined the team after I finished the mission.
>
>Unfortunately, the team ended up consisting of 4 ~30's and 4 < 15's,
>which made me leave (I've *rarely* seen a 50/50 SK team do well in ++30
>missions, but that's another thread)

Depending on the makeup of the team and the skill of the player it could
work.

I was actually part of a similar teamup - me, at that point level 6,
with 1 real attack, the person i'd been chatting with, who was something
like 32, and the person whose mission it was who was 34 and sk'd me.

For all my limitations I was able to contribute rather well, since the
middle person was a fire/rad controller and buffed/healed me.

Of course when she died and later on when she had to leave, that left me
somewhat weaker and contributing less.
When CoT earth mages are hitting you, lack of healing is really bad.

It was rather surprising to me that someone as limited as my level 6
COULD actually contribute rather well. Not as good as a higher level
obviously, but I wasn't leeching.

Xocyll
April 15, 2005 7:32:59 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:52:38 GMT, Bradd W. Szonye
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

> Incorrect. There are three states: LFT, default, hidden. If you
> really don't want to team up, use the last one. (Also, I will
> readily agree that blind invites sent to a hidden player /are/
> rude.)

Unfortunately, "hidden" also means "doesn't show up on your friends or
supergroup list". Which means a lot of people don't want to use that
because it interferes with their being in touch with their
friends. (i.e. someone who they *would* want to team with might be
looking for a partner, but not know that they're on because they're
hidden)

(It could also lead to the awkward situation where two members of a
supergroup start talking about a hidden member behind his back,
entirely unaware that he is lurking there and listening.)

Sure, if I'm not set LFT I might still be amenable to teaming up. But
I might not be, too. And in the absense of a signal that I am *FOR
CERTAIN* willing to team up, the assumption should be that I am *NOT*.
That's what an opt-in system is all about. Otherwise, why even have
the signal that I am *FOR CERTAIN* looking for a team at all if anyone
can be equally assumed to be looking for a team?

But you know, they don't have to remain in the dark about whether I'm
looking for a team at all. They can *ask* me. And I can say yes or
no. Hell, it doesn't even have to be all that hard. Let the would-be
inviter do something like

/macro inv "tell $target, Hi...want to join a team and do some
missions? I'm a level $level $origin $archetype."

and all he has to do is point and click.

Making an invitation screen pop up in front of me while I might be in
the middle of fighting for my life is terribly rude.
--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:06:50 PM

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113578948.463240.35600
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Robotech_Master wrote:
>>
>> _their_ LFT doesn't mean the same thing as everybody else's?
>> Ah well, at least that's getting fixed with I4, they can
>> put an "ask before inviting" in their comment field or
>> something.)
>>

> It's nice to see that there is going to be something to look forward to
> in I4 for those of us who don't care about PvP. I actually like CoH's
> teaming features a lot (I don't think any other MMO has SK'ing or
> Exemp'ing), and having a little ionformation text that shows up in the
> /sea window will make it that much nicer.

From lurking in the ag.eq ng, it sounds like EQII has recently put
something like this in. DOn't know how close to SK/Exemp it is though. I
think that they call it Mentoring...

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/