Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't get GAIT anymore in Michigan?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:23:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I recently moved from Florida to southwest Michigan. Initially (before
the AT&T merger) I was unable to get my number changed to a Michigan
number since Cingular had no service here. Now, after the merger, I
can hopefully get a Michigan number.

GAIT is very important to me since I hike and backpack in northern
Michigan where there isn't GSM yet... I've been very pleased with the
coverage with my GAIT phone, and no other provider can match it.

I called customer service (who are almost always very polite and
helpful, BTW) and they said all I had to do was go to the local store,
get a sim card, and then call them back to have my number switched.
They said it was no problem keeping my GAIT service or my plan
(Preferred Nation). So, I go to the store and get the SIM card, call
them back, and they go through the whole activation process. Then,
after about 25 minutes of keyboard chatter, they tell me they can't do
anything for me 'cause they no longer support GAIT. All I can do is
hold on to my old number...

This sounds fishy to me, especially since the first rep clearly said
that GAIT in southwest Michigan was no problem. I even confirmed it
with her a second time and yes, GAIT was available. 3 months ago, I
could have walked into any AT&T store here and picked up a t62u (GAIT)
with no problem.

Can anyone confirm that GAIT plans have really been dropped in Michigan
(she said "Great Lakes Region")?

Did the merger cut GAIT service? What do they do for people who live
in areas without GSM coverage? Any suggestions on who to call?
Thanks...

More about : gait anymore michigan

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:56:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

matt.hahnfeld@gmail.com wrote:
> I recently moved from Florida to southwest Michigan. Initially (before
> the AT&T merger) I was unable to get my number changed to a Michigan
> number since Cingular had no service here. Now, after the merger, I
> can hopefully get a Michigan number.
>
> GAIT is very important to me since I hike and backpack in northern
> Michigan where there isn't GSM yet... I've been very pleased with the
> coverage with my GAIT phone, and no other provider can match it.



> I called customer service (who are almost always very polite and
> helpful, BTW) and they said all I had to do was go to the local store,
> get a sim card, and then call them back to have my number switched.
> They said it was no problem keeping my GAIT service or my plan
> (Preferred Nation). So, I go to the store and get the SIM card, call
> them back, and they go through the whole activation process. Then,
> after about 25 minutes of keyboard chatter, they tell me they can't do
> anything for me 'cause they no longer support GAIT. All I can do is
> hold on to my old number...

There have been reports that you may pick a GSM rate plan and have some
line itmes added such as "GSM - TDMA Interoperability" and "GAIT Calling
Area". You should find out about this, as the current GSM plans are
slightly better than most of the TDMA Preferred Nation plans were.

> This sounds fishy to me, especially since the first rep clearly said
> that GAIT in southwest Michigan was no problem. I even confirmed it
> with her a second time and yes, GAIT was available. 3 months ago, I
> could have walked into any AT&T store here and picked up a t62u (GAIT)
> with no problem.

It probably still is available, but not under normal circumcstances.
Not too long ago, I had problems with my T62u phone, and wanted to
"upgrade" to another T62u phone (still being offered) and was told GAIT
was not available, only GSM. However, when I said I *needed* analogue
(AMPS) coverage for my travels, so I would have to go to a different
carrier that allowed me to use AMPS, they said I could get a GAIT plan.
I ended up just purchasing a GSM phone off ebay to use most of the
time when I'm at home, and keep the T62u for traveling. Thanks to the
Western Wireless GSM overlay and additional coverage from Rogers in
Canada (and the purchase of FIDO), GSM now serves all my needs.

> Can anyone confirm that GAIT plans have really been dropped in Michigan
> (she said "Great Lakes Region")?

My understanding is that Cingular no longer normally offers GAIT plans,
but they may be available upon request.

> Did the merger cut GAIT service? What do they do for people who live
> in areas without GSM coverage? Any suggestions on who to call?
> Thanks...

Since Cingular is a GSM carrier, all of the customers should regularly
be in a GSM market. Cingular won't normally sell service to customers
from markets other than its own.

This is the concept, but if you fight hard enough, they will accomodate
you. Always be polite. If you don't might keeping your old phone
number for a little bit longer, it may be easier after some of the
wrinkles of AT&T/Cingular are wrinkled out.
January 9, 2005 4:56:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:41E1380D.2060008@example.net...
>
>
> matt.hahnfeld@gmail.com wrote:
> > I recently moved from Florida to southwest Michigan. Initially (before
> > the AT&T merger) I was unable to get my number changed to a Michigan
> > number since Cingular had no service here. Now, after the merger, I
> > can hopefully get a Michigan number.
> >
> > GAIT is very important to me since I hike and backpack in northern
> > Michigan where there isn't GSM yet... I've been very pleased with the
> > coverage with my GAIT phone, and no other provider can match it.
>


I still have my gait plan. And it uses TDMA regularly while traveling
northern Mi.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:31:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks for all the suggestions... I really appreciate all of the
information. It sounds like a GSM plan with a GAIT add-on is the way
to go. Unfortunately, I called the customer service line back today
and the rep said GAIT is no longer available even as an add-on in the
area where I live. He said he talked to a manager and the option isn't
even in the computer. Doesn't sound good... :(  I sure wish I would
have written down the name of the original rep who assured me that GAIT
was available in this area.

I had thought about getting a number from Ann Arbor (an original
Cingular area where they might still have GAIT), but an Ann Arbor
number is no more local than my current Florida number...

I guess since they're dropping GAIT I better make sure my phone doesn't
break -- if I ever need to switch my "grandfathered" plan or hardware,
it sounds like my GAIT service is history. If I buy a spare t62u off
ebay, could I use it if my current phone breaks? Is the TDMA info
stored on the SIM card in a GAIT phone?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:16:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

matt.hahnfeld@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions... I really appreciate all of the
> information. It sounds like a GSM plan with a GAIT add-on is the way
> to go. Unfortunately, I called the customer service line back today
> and the rep said GAIT is no longer available even as an add-on in the
> area where I live. He said he talked to a manager and the option isn't
> even in the computer. Doesn't sound good... :(  I sure wish I would
> have written down the name of the original rep who assured me that GAIT
> was available in this area.
>
> I had thought about getting a number from Ann Arbor (an original
> Cingular area where they might still have GAIT), but an Ann Arbor
> number is no more local than my current Florida number...
>
> I guess since they're dropping GAIT I better make sure my phone doesn't
> break -- if I ever need to switch my "grandfathered" plan or hardware,
> it sounds like my GAIT service is history. If I buy a spare t62u off
> ebay, could I use it if my current phone breaks? Is the TDMA info
> stored on the SIM card in a GAIT phone?

I kept my Preferred Nation rate plan when I upgraded to a GAIT phone. I
was automatically given "TDMA - GSM Interoperability". When I moved to
a GSM market, I took my SIM and put it into a GSM only phone. No
problems. In fact, I found that my no-roam coverage had improved. In
some places, I would have paid roaming charges for TDMA coverage, but
with the addition of GSM coverage there was no roaming. Example:
Rockford, Illinois -- I had previously roamed here on PN with TDMA
coverage, the next time I went throught with GSM coverage, it was
no-raom. Switching back to TDMA manually put me into roaming coverage
again.

Basically, what I could make of it is that I didn't have any domestic
GSM roaming, so my coverage was a composite of Preferred Nation and
Cingular Nation GSM.

Good luck with whatever happens.

TH
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:48:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1105317094.845944.28760@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
matt.hahnfeld@gmail.com says...
> Thanks for all the suggestions... I really appreciate all of the
> information. It sounds like a GSM plan with a GAIT add-on is the way
> to go. Unfortunately, I called the customer service line back today
> and the rep said GAIT is no longer available even as an add-on in the
> area where I live. He said he talked to a manager and the option isn't
> even in the computer. Doesn't sound good... :(  I sure wish I would
> have written down the name of the original rep who assured me that GAIT
> was available in this area.
>

The "area where I live"--so you're not allowed to travel! Please call
back and talk directly to a manager. Bet they're not looking for the
"GAIT option" but for the GAIT plan. Have him look it up if necessary.
From what someone reported the GAIT option was supposed to be an
official nationwide policy--maybe that branch just didn't "get" the
message.

I hope this is a mistake--the announcement sounded like they were going
to leave it available as long as needed anywhere. If not then they are
going to force some users that roam a lot to look elsewhere--stupid--but
then their whole "we're done--the entire country's GSM" when it isn't
attitude is stupid.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:02:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c4c5244dd8e8796989878@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net>,
Jud Hardcastle <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote:

> In article <1105317094.845944.28760@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> matt.hahnfeld@gmail.com says...
> > Thanks for all the suggestions... I really appreciate all of the
> > information. It sounds like a GSM plan with a GAIT add-on is the way
> > to go. Unfortunately, I called the customer service line back today
> > and the rep said GAIT is no longer available even as an add-on in the
> > area where I live. He said he talked to a manager and the option isn't
> > even in the computer. Doesn't sound good... :(  I sure wish I would
> > have written down the name of the original rep who assured me that GAIT
> > was available in this area.
> >
>
> The "area where I live"--so you're not allowed to travel! Please call
> back and talk directly to a manager. Bet they're not looking for the
> "GAIT option" but for the GAIT plan. Have him look it up if necessary.
> From what someone reported the GAIT option was supposed to be an
> official nationwide policy--maybe that branch just didn't "get" the
> message.
>
> I hope this is a mistake--the announcement sounded like they were going
> to leave it available as long as needed anywhere. If not then they are
> going to force some users that roam a lot to look elsewhere--stupid--but
> then their whole "we're done--the entire country's GSM" when it isn't
> attitude is stupid.

Some manager was in line to get a BIG Bonus if the GSM overlay was
finished, so he used the "graphite method" to finish it. He wrote that
it was finished.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:40:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Some manager was in line to get a BIG Bonus if the GSM overlay was
> finished, so he used the "graphite method" to finish it. He wrote that
> it was finished.

Who's the manager? In which office does he work? How much was his
bonus apportioned to be?
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:50:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

No mistake in my experience.

I had true GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS) reactivated several times in the last
40 days, only to travel to a nonGSM area and have zero coverage.

To top it off, I had to drive back to another state for the
reactivation to take effect.

Either Cingular is suffering massive technical failures, or Cingular
only wants GSM customers and forcing the GAIT customers out.

Traveling in 22 states I have found many areas without GSM coverage. No
ATT, Cingular, T-Mobile etc
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:18:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1106185813.714452.279900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> No mistake in my experience.
>
> I had true GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS) reactivated several times in the last
> 40 days, only to travel to a nonGSM area and have zero coverage.
>
> To top it off, I had to drive back to another state for the
> reactivation to take effect.
>
> Either Cingular is suffering massive technical failures, or Cingular
> only wants GSM customers and forcing the GAIT customers out.
>
> Traveling in 22 states I have found many areas without GSM coverage. No
> ATT, Cingular, T-Mobile etc

They cut out TDMA and AMPS without warning and our phones no longer worked
at our house. GSM didn't worked at our house but their were promises it
would get better. It never did.

When we to be let our of our contracts they said no. we complained to the
BBS and a very rude woman from the "Office of the President" misrepresented
the truth and told us that the FCC would not let them use the towers
anymore. I really did not care what the reason is our service wasn't what
it had been 5 years prior and we thought we should be let out of the
agreement.

We started to port the phones as they came off contract to Verizon. We
paid the early termination fee for the GSM phone. This all started last
February.

We got a letter begging us to come back. We wrote the letter explaining our
situation and how rude the "Office of the President" was to us. Finally
someone heard and we at least were able to send in our GSM phone and get a
return of the early termination fee.

But it took almost a year for someone to understand that we were paying a
lot of money for service that we didn't get an option to cancel. We spent
so many months stuck with no service because we had 4 phones and it would
have been expensive.

The funny thing is Verizon works better at our house then Cingular ever did.
I can talk in any room of the house. We can talk in stores. We don't get
all that crackle and weirdness. For that I am grateful.

T
>
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:58:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I was in Verizon picking up a VX6600 PDA and customers were coming in
with the complaint Cingular phones had stopped working in their homes.
This was metro Atlanta.

My V710 and VX6600 have landline quality with a blue tooth headset.
Also said phones work in no service areas in metro Atlanta. Mainly
inside buildings that use to work with Cingular



Turbocane wrote:
> "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:1106185813.714452.279900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > No mistake in my experience.
> >
> > I had true GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS) reactivated several times in the
last
> > 40 days, only to travel to a nonGSM area and have zero coverage.
> >
> > To top it off, I had to drive back to another state for the
> > reactivation to take effect.
> >
> > Either Cingular is suffering massive technical failures, or
Cingular
> > only wants GSM customers and forcing the GAIT customers out.
> >
> > Traveling in 22 states I have found many areas without GSM
coverage. No
> > ATT, Cingular, T-Mobile etc
>
> They cut out TDMA and AMPS without warning and our phones no longer
worked
> at our house. GSM didn't worked at our house but their were
promises it
> would get better. It never did.
>
> When we to be let our of our contracts they said no. we complained
to the
> BBS and a very rude woman from the "Office of the President"
misrepresented
> the truth and told us that the FCC would not let them use the towers
> anymore. I really did not care what the reason is our service wasn't
what
> it had been 5 years prior and we thought we should be let out of the
> agreement.
>
> We started to port the phones as they came off contract to Verizon.
We
> paid the early termination fee for the GSM phone. This all started
last
> February.
>
> We got a letter begging us to come back. We wrote the letter
explaining our
> situation and how rude the "Office of the President" was to us.
Finally
> someone heard and we at least were able to send in our GSM phone and
get a
> return of the early termination fee.
>
> But it took almost a year for someone to understand that we were
paying a
> lot of money for service that we didn't get an option to cancel. We
spent
> so many months stuck with no service because we had 4 phones and it
would
> have been expensive.
>
> The funny thing is Verizon works better at our house then Cingular
ever did.
> I can talk in any room of the house. We can talk in stores. We
don't get
> all that crackle and weirdness. For that I am grateful.
>
> T
> >
January 22, 2005 2:17:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1106185813.714452.279900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> No mistake in my experience.
>
> I had true GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS) reactivated several times in the last
> 40 days, only to travel to a nonGSM area and have zero coverage.
>
> To top it off, I had to drive back to another state for the
> reactivation to take effect.
>
> Either Cingular is suffering massive technical failures, or Cingular
> only wants GSM customers and forcing the GAIT customers out.
>
> Traveling in 22 states I have found many areas without GSM coverage. No
> ATT, Cingular, T-Mobile etc
>
I don't now what the problem was, but I still get gait when needed out of
GSM areas when traveling in northern Mi.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:10:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<snip>
> > Traveling in 22 states I have found many areas without GSM coverage. No
> > ATT, Cingular, T-Mobile etc
> >
> I don't now what the problem was, but I still get gait when needed out of
> GSM areas when traveling in northern Mi.
>
>
Using Gsm, TDMA, AMPS fine in Alabama only problem is with a small GSM
carrier in Cullman (North Alabama) turning the phone off and back on clears
up the problem when I first arrive. The OP must have a bad phone or his
account is setup wrong.
January 22, 2005 8:32:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <DNydnbONj-8S4W_cRVn-oA@wideopenwest.com>,
"Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:1106185813.714452.279900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > No mistake in my experience.
> >
> > I had true GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS) reactivated several times in the last
> > 40 days, only to travel to a nonGSM area and have zero coverage.
> >
> > To top it off, I had to drive back to another state for the
> > reactivation to take effect.
> >
> > Either Cingular is suffering massive technical failures, or Cingular
> > only wants GSM customers and forcing the GAIT customers out.
> >
> > Traveling in 22 states I have found many areas without GSM coverage. No
> > ATT, Cingular, T-Mobile etc
> >
> I don't now what the problem was, but I still get gait when needed out of
> GSM areas when traveling in northern Mi.

Are you able to get GSM reception in Northern MI from Traverse City up
to the Mackinaw City?

Thanks.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
January 22, 2005 9:56:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> > GSM areas when traveling in northern Mi.
>
> Are you able to get GSM reception in Northern MI from Traverse City up
> to the Mackinaw City?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com

I haven't been in that particular area in years. But I can tell you if you
don't have GSM you won't have a phone in many areas of northern Mi.
January 22, 2005 9:58:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:svCdnXcL_IWbdW_cRVn-ow@wideopenwest.com...
>
> > > GSM areas when traveling in northern Mi.
> >
> > Are you able to get GSM reception in Northern MI from Traverse City up
> > to the Mackinaw City?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
>

I meant to say if you don't have GAIT (not GSM) you won't have service.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:51:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Problem: Cingular took aware GAIT multiple times without my knowledge
or approval. So what is to stop Cingular from killing GAIT with no
notice in MI? That is exactly what they did to Southeast customers. I
am not sure what you use your phone for, but try have a father that
just had a stroke and lose all contact with your customers (twice).
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

My Verizon t720 tri-mode would go into AMPS mode outside Lansing MI,
but that is still service.


If Cingular kills GAIT in MI, like they did in the Southeast, you will
not have service except for GSM areas. Do not expect a notice from
Cingular,
February 7, 2005 1:30:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I think if you have the GAIT phone (Nokia 6340) that is activated for the
GAIT service you can get analog and TDMA as well as GSM. True you cannot
buy the phone and service from them anymoe, but if you have the phone or can
get one on eBay, you can get it to roam on your GSM plan. I do this now in
Maine, where in many placed I cannot get GSM, only analog. My base plan is
in Houston.

You can get this done over the phone with customer service. You will have
to have the phone turned on in your service area to be activated.

Phil

"DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1107291780.174557.280360@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> My Verizon t720 tri-mode would go into AMPS mode outside Lansing MI,
> but that is still service.
>
>
> If Cingular kills GAIT in MI, like they did in the Southeast, you will
> not have service except for GSM areas. Do not expect a notice from
> Cingular,
>
!