Does HDMI in SciAtl 8300HD STB pass 480i through?

I'm not sure if the problem is the 8300HD or my Sharp LC-32GA5U.

The 8300HD will not pass 480i through to the TV (or the TV isn't
acknowledging it). Component connection works fine for all modes.

If I go into setup on the 8300HD and disable the 480i modes and keep
Picture Format set to Auto DVI/HDMI, it will upconvert all 480i to 480p
which the TV does display okay. All other modes are passed through to the
TV unchanged.

Anybody getting 480i through HDMI with the 8300HD?
13 answers Last reply
More about does hdmi sciatl 8300hd pass 480i through

    At least you're getting something in the HDMI output of the 8300HD. I
    get a black screen when using a HDMI to DVI monster cable to my Toshiba
    57H93. That same cable connected to my Panasonic S97S DVD player works
    fine.

    dkennedy wrote:
    > At least you're getting something in the HDMI output of the 8300HD. I
    > get a black screen when using a HDMI to DVI monster cable to my Toshiba
    > 57H93. That same cable connected to my Panasonic S97S DVD player works
    > fine.

    I have a 8300HD from TW Houston and the HDMI works perfect with a cheap
    HDMI to DVI cable that I bought on eBay. You might need to change boxes.

    "dkennedy" <davidkennedys@gmail.com> wrote in news:1107013921.842271.133870
    @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > At least you're getting something in the HDMI output of the 8300HD. I
    > get a black screen when using a HDMI to DVI monster cable to my Toshiba
    > 57H93. That same cable connected to my Panasonic S97S DVD player works
    > fine.

    Try what I did...connect the RF (or component) to your TV and do the setup
    and disable the 480i modes and see if it works on your Toshiba then...

    JimFitch28 <jimfitch@houston.rr.com> wrote in news:41FBC122.80408
    @houston.rr.com:

    > I have a 8300HD from TW Houston and the HDMI works perfect with a cheap
    > HDMI to DVI cable that I bought on eBay. You might need to change boxes.

    A few questions, if you don't mind:

    1. What version of the SARA software do you have on the 8300HD?

    2. Are you sure you're getting 480i to the TV? Is 480i lit up on the
    front of the box? Does the TV say the signal is 480i (or maybe since it's
    DVI, it will just give you a resolution like 720x480 or something)?

    A guy on www.avsforum.com is using an HDMI->DVI cable and sees the same
    problem I am.

    tia

    Nobody wrote:
    > JimFitch28 <jimfitch@houston.rr.com> wrote in news:41FBC122.80408
    > @houston.rr.com:
    >

    >>I have a 8300HD from TW Houston and the HDMI works perfect with a cheap
    >>HDMI to DVI cable that I bought on eBay. You might need to change boxes.
    >

    > A few questions, if you don't mind:
    >
    > 1. What version of the SARA software do you have on the 8300HD?
    >
    > 2. Are you sure you're getting 480i to the TV? Is 480i lit up on the
    > front of the box? Does the TV say the signal is 480i (or maybe since it's
    > DVI, it will just give you a resolution like 720x480 or something)?
    >
    > A guy on www.avsforum.com is using an HDMI->DVI cable and sees the same
    > problem I am.
    >
    > tia
    The SARA version is 1.87.4.4

    I think you are right I am not getting 480i to the TV. If I go to a
    channel that should be 480i the box and TV say 1080i on the 2 channels
    that are 720p the box and TV say 720p. Don't know why.

    Jim

    > The SARA version is 1.87.4.4
    >
    > I think you are right I am not getting 480i to the TV. If I go to a
    > channel that should be 480i the box and TV say 1080i on the 2 channels
    > that are 720p the box and TV say 720p. Don't know why.

    Wow, we only have 1.85.17.3.

    Did you set up and configure the box or did the cable guy do it?

    Nobody wrote:
    > JimFitch28 <jimfitch@houston.rr.com> wrote in
    >

    >>The SARA version is 1.87.4.4
    >>
    >>I think you are right I am not getting 480i to the TV. If I go to a
    >>channel that should be 480i the box and TV say 1080i on the 2 channels
    >>that are 720p the box and TV say 720p. Don't know why.
    >>

    > Wow, we only have 1.85.17.3.
    >
    > Did you set up and configure the box or did the cable guy do it?
    The cable guy brought it out and did some set up after he left I ran the
    set up screens over.

    Nobody wrote:
    > "dkennedy" <davidkennedys@gmail.com> wrote in
    > @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > At least you're getting something in the HDMI output of the 8300HD.
    > > get a black screen when using a HDMI to DVI monster cable to my
    Toshiba
    > > 57H93. That same cable connected to my Panasonic S97S DVD player
    works
    > > fine.
    > >

    > Try what I did...connect the RF (or component) to your TV and do the
    setup
    > and disable the 480i modes and see if it works on your Toshiba
    then...

    I have the component video cables connected to the toshiba and disabled
    every mode except 1080i and I still get nothing on the HDMI-DVI port.
    Changed to 3 different 8300HD boxes here at TW Schenectady, NY and
    still no video on the HDMI port to my toshiba 57h93. The cable works
    with my panny s97s and the toshiba so I eliminated the cable and TV.
    Some how there are still issues with compatibility or the HDMI port on
    the 8300HD itself.

    Have you checked with TW about the HDMI-DVI port availability? Some
    providers do not have it enabled.

    Mac wrote:
    > Have you checked with TW about the HDMI-DVI port availability? Some
    > providers do not have it enabled.

    Yes I did check with TW and they state that the 8300HD HDMI port is
    active although they are still tweaking the software.

    "dkennedy" <davidkennedys@gmail.com> wrote in news:1107172407.809714.3160
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Nobody wrote:
    >> "dkennedy" <davidkennedys@gmail.com> wrote in
    >> @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >> > At least you're getting something in the HDMI output of the 8300HD.
    >> > get a black screen when using a HDMI to DVI monster cable to my
    > Toshiba
    >> > 57H93. That same cable connected to my Panasonic S97S DVD player
    > works
    >> > fine.
    >> >

    >> Try what I did...connect the RF (or component) to your TV and do the
    > setup
    >> and disable the 480i modes and see if it works on your Toshiba
    > then...
    >
    > I have the component video cables connected to the toshiba and disabled
    > every mode except 1080i and I still get nothing on the HDMI-DVI port.
    > Changed to 3 different 8300HD boxes here at TW Schenectady, NY and
    > still no video on the HDMI port to my toshiba 57h93. The cable works
    > with my panny s97s and the toshiba so I eliminated the cable and TV.
    > Some how there are still issues with compatibility or the HDMI port on
    > the 8300HD itself.

    Hey, I live in Schenectady, too...

    On my Sharp LC-32GA5U, when I use the DVI port, I must set the mode to
    Analog to see the PC boot up. However, once graphics mode is entered, I
    have to switch to digital mode.

    Do you have an analog/digital setting on your Toshiba for the DVI port?
    Try both...

    No analog/digital setting on the toshiba 57h93 that I know of. I've
    ordered the service manual to see if that can help

    Too kind. They have been tweaking the software for eternity...

HDTV TV HDMI Home Theatre