Wireless router traffic monitor

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I have few neighbors around me and far to few of them could probably even power a computer on, much the less use one. I usually always set the mac filter to only allow connections from mac addresses I list/add. I purchased a new router and forgot to enable mac filtering and today I found that someone has/had connected to that wireless router from a computer/wireless device I do not own.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent and/or free traffic monitor that can pull log data from wireless router(the one I am referring to is Linksys WRT54G v.8) and tag IPs, maybe computer names and MAC addresses as well. Thank you.

Maasikas

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I have Mac and I use ProteMac Meter, it's a network traffic logger. I guess, you can somehow use it in wireless network, however it's for Mac OS only :(

G

Use the free aplication Wireshark, you will find it very usefull...

G

you can setup your router as static ip instead of dynamic......to enable your router.....at internet explorer....type 192.168.1.1 then enter your user name and passwords.....good luck

devo4ka

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
protemac.com is very good site!!! I use ProteMac Logon Sentry (to control and save all Login events) if you are interested in, you can read more here - http://www.protemac.com/Logon_Sentry/

SofiaBrown

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks for the solution I am also facing this same kind of problem. I use this tool and see the what are the results.

Hutchings_18

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hi,
I'll be trying the suggestions here shortly, but wanted to tell my story just incase there are any other solutions out there...

BT (my ISP) have started charging me £35 a month on top of my monthly tariff! They say I'm using more than my 10Gb monthly limit. In fact, they say I'm exceeding 20Gb! I totally dispute this but telephone Customer Services and they won't give me a breakdown of my downloading.

I'd like to set a traffic monitor on my wireless router to see what's going on.

I have an iPad, two iPhones, and a laptop. Can I use the ProteMac software mentioned above? Or is there something more suitable for my situation?

Thanks,
Hutch.