ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I just got my computer working and when it boots up everything loads well but about 5 seconds into turning it on a thing comes up that says "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" I've put in my Windows xp disc and nothing happens. I dont remember my motherboard coming with a disc so am i using the wrong disc? If i somehow dont have it can i download it somwhere and put it on a disc?

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
make sure your bios is set to boot off of the DVD-ROM before the HDD and have the install CD in the drive before you boot, and see if it detects the cd.

Power on your computer and tap the DELETE key and enter your BIOS. Find the BOOT ORDER and choose your DVD drive as the FIRST BOOT DEVICE. Insert the Windows CD in the DVD tray. Save and exit. Upon boot when asked to "Press any key to boot from CD" press any key and load the Windows OS. After you have the Windows OS up and running install the system drivers from your MB CD. HTH.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
if your getting "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER", then you've passed the chance to get into the BIOS do what badge said.

I made it so the dvd rom boots first and did everything else... its still not working

Ber sure the IDE cable is connected properly to your DVD drive. Same with the power and SATA cable to your HD. The IDE cable has a red line on one side of the cable. That is PIN 1 to your MB and also to your DVD drive, Get PIN 1 connected properly to the DVD. Try reinstalling the cables and get them right.

ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I think the Sata hook ups on my motherboard are for hard disks only.... im going to have to buy a IDE dvd player. I think that will solve the problem, but I still have the problem of the BIOS not being able to auto detect my SATA Raptor 10k rpm HDD.

I think the Sata hook ups on my motherboard are for hard disks only.... im going to have to buy a IDE dvd player. I think that will solve the problem, but I still have the problem of the BIOS not being able to auto detect my SATA Raptor 10k rpm HDD.

Look in BIOS at HARD DRIVE PRIORITY> Choose the HD you want to install windows on as the firt HD in BIOS Save and exit. I boot from a SATA DVD all the time. If BIOS sees it, it should work.

ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
My computer doenst notice a hard drive in there thats the problem... I cant choose a hard drive priority if it cant detect one from the first place.

My computer doenst notice a hard drive in there thats the problem... I cant choose a hard drive priority if it cant detect one from the first place.

Do you have the power connector from the power supply connected to the SATA HD? Try a different power connnector. The HD has to be recognized in BIOS before you can load windows on it.

You said you had a Raptor? Use a seperate SATA cable and power cable on the raptor. Sounds like the Raptor is not getting power. Get a power cable on there directly from the Power supply.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
do the following because i had this problem too but i had a ide hdd, anyways try the following:
1) change the power cord connected to your hdd, try all the power cords one by one, if this doesnt work then
2) change the sata cable to another slot, if this doesnt work then
3) connect only hdd, no dvd rom,if this doesnt work then
4) chk the jumpers of the hdd and change it to master or remove it,if this doesnt work then
4) remove the jumper and disconnect the dvd rom and run the hdd alone,if this doesnt work then
sorry i think your hdd is not working, try to rma it. hope i helped