AMD M690 Chipset poor performance in Vista Business

lyall

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
G'day,

I recently brought a HP 6175b notebook for a client thinking that the graphics would be superior to the inter 965 chipset. However in the VISTA perfomance index, the M690 (ATI Radeon 1270) gets a score of 2.9 versus the 3.4 of the intel. I tried updating the drivers but no difference. Anyone got any ideas why the M690 is slower? Overall the notebook is very good for business use but I was expecting better performance. Anyone got ideas of how I can improve the performance or why the Intel chip scores higher?

Cheers
Lyall

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The Windows Vista performance scores are irrelevant. High clocked Pentiums can outscore Conroes, but only using Microsoft Vista benchmarks.
Does your system do what you want it to?
Don't worry, be happy.

lyall

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
True,

But it doesn't look good when you sell a computer to a client on the basis the video performance is better and then Vista turns around and says its slower. Not losing any sleep over it but it would be good if I could get vista to legitamately report it is a better graphics solution. I must admit running VISTA, the M690 chipset appears alot faster than a similar Core2 DUO/Intel GMA graphics chipset. I did see a review on tomshardware about the M690 chipset but I can't find this article anymore (even after a search). Does anyone know where I can find this?

Cheers
Lyall