Sign in with
Your question

Cant format floppy disk

Last response: in Windows XP
July 30, 2009 8:37:45 PM

my flopp disks drive wont let me format disks keep saying windows wont lat me format disk i have window xp disk work drive work light come on but wont let me read or wright to disk

More about : format floppy disk

July 31, 2009 3:54:32 PM

Probably a bad floppy drive. Try a new one. May just be bad disks. 3 1/2 floppies are pretty useless nowadays.
July 31, 2009 4:18:34 PM

Make sure the floppy disk isn't locked.
Related resources
November 9, 2009 7:55:13 PM

What do you mean by isn't lock.. cause the light and evrything opens on my floppy disk but when i put something for it to be read, it says that its not format, cannot read the disk. When I try to format my floppy disk a prompt appears and says your disk can't be format!
November 9, 2009 7:57:29 PM

aford10 said:
Make sure the floppy disk isn't locked.

What do you mean by its not locked !! .. How can I know if its locked!
November 9, 2009 11:29:54 PM

first I'm going to assume that you are using 3.5" 1.44M floppies, hold it up so you can see the two openings, one of them has a slider, if it is closed(no light) it's locked, BTW, if these floppies were removed from the drive before the light went off, they make great frisbies
Anonymous
June 12, 2010 5:04:39 AM

Number 13 is correct . Unfortunately most disks sold by retailers are locked as he said hold it up to a light you have to see light from only one of the square openings open. Move the slider on the back of the disk; the one thats locked and you will be able to format. If that doesnt work try a NEW FLOPPY Good Luck
February 2, 2012 6:57:52 PM

My floppy is write protected when the box is ope. When I close the slider, I can write to it.
!