Trouble installing heatsink to E6600 and 965P-DS3 mobo

bgstewar

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Hey guys-

This is my first build. I have the Gigabyte P965-DS3 mobo, E6600 CPU, and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink and fan. I'm having a HELL of a time getting the stupid heatsink to stay attached.

OK - installing the CPU was nerve wracking. I lined everything up, but i almost had to force down the lever to secure it into place.

Now, installing the heatsink - everything was lined up, but as soon as I snap down one connection, another one pops up. I can't seem to get all four to stay down at one time.

It makes me think that the CPU is sticking up so far that the heatsink just can't attach correctly. However, there is NO other way to install the CPU, so I'm positive it's in correctly.

Yes, I triple checked - the CPU cover is removed on the mobo and the protective cover on the CPU is also removed.

Anyone have any advice? It's got me pretty frustrated...

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I'm not familiar with that particular heatsink, but it sounds like you have the wonderful push-clip retaining mechanism :)

If so, examine the clips. There should be an arrow on the top of each one showing the direction they should be rotated. Now, this is the direction they should be rotated if you want to remove the heatsink. As you want to install the heatsink, you need to rotate each clip in the opposite direction before trying to install. This should prevent the clips popping out.

Hope this helps.

jda70

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
HI

The only thing I can think of is get another person to
hold the heatsink down while you install it.

Does the original heat sink and fan install correctly?

bgstewar

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I'm not familiar with that particular heatsink, but it sounds like you have the wonderful push-clip retaining mechanism :)

If so, examine the clips. There should be an arrow on the top of each one showing the direction they should be rotated. Now, this is the direction they should be rotated if you want to remove the heatsink. As you want to install the heatsink, you need to rotate each clip in the opposite direction before trying to install. This should prevent the clips popping out.

Hope this helps.

OH MAN, YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! Thanks SO MUCH!! Totally worked!