bribec

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I got onto my computer yesterday morning and everything was gone. Half of my icons on my desktop were gone, all my documents, and pictures were gone. I restarted the computer and got the following messsage: Windows cannot find the local profile. Logging you onto a temporary profile. Changes made will be lost when you log off.

I am very frustrated! I lost a lot of important information. I tried right clicking "my computer" then tried looking for expand local usedrs node, but could not find it???????????????? Can anyone help PLEASE?

Becky

sturm

Splendid
Look in the documents and settings folder for your user name. All the files should be in there. If so, I would make a new account and then move the files to the new account. You may have to take ownership of them to copy them though.

bribec

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009

Thank you, although when I go into the user accounts, there isn't another option other than the one I am using now??

bribec

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Thank you for the idea, but it didn't work.
I received a couple of messages
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile :( I have the worst luck with computers!!!!! Love/Hate relationship.

Thanks for trying to help. I think I will have to take my computer into a comp. repair shop.

It sounds like you simply need to create a new account with administrator rights. It's pretty simple, you can do it from the user accounts icon in the control panel. Since you are on a guest account, you'll need to boot into safe mode and use the administrator account to create your new account (w/ administrator rights).

Once you have your new account, you'll need to search the computer to find where all your stuff is located and move them into your new profile.