Sign in with
Your question

Lost Information

Last response: in Windows XP
July 31, 2009 9:34:48 AM

I got onto my computer yesterday morning and everything was gone. Half of my icons on my desktop were gone, all my documents, and pictures were gone. I restarted the computer and got the following messsage: Windows cannot find the local profile. Logging you onto a temporary profile. Changes made will be lost when you log off.

I am very frustrated! I lost a lot of important information. I tried right clicking "my computer" then tried looking for expand local usedrs node, but could not find it???????????????? Can anyone help PLEASE?

Becky

More about : lost information

July 31, 2009 4:01:06 PM

Look in the documents and settings folder for your user name. All the files should be in there. If so, I would make a new account and then move the files to the new account. You may have to take ownership of them to copy them though.
m
l
July 31, 2009 4:23:05 PM

^ +1....You haven't lost anything. The files are still on the hard drive. You just aren't seeing the icons and such because you're on a different profile. Try going into the user profiles to see if your normal user account is still in there.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2009 5:08:46 PM

sturm said:
Look in the documents and settings folder for your user name. All the files should be in there. If so, I would make a new account and then move the files to the new account. You may have to take ownership of them to copy them though.

Thank you, although when I go into the user accounts, there isn't another option other than the one I am using now??
m
l
August 1, 2009 4:13:17 AM

try this, do a restore to an earlier time, Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and pick a time before this started
m
l
August 1, 2009 11:57:59 AM

Thank you for the idea, but it didn't work.
I received a couple of messages
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile :(  I have the worst luck with computers!!!!! Love/Hate relationship.

Thanks for trying to help. I think I will have to take my computer into a comp. repair shop.
m
l
August 1, 2009 5:57:28 PM

It sounds like you simply need to create a new account with administrator rights. It's pretty simple, you can do it from the user accounts icon in the control panel. Since you are on a guest account, you'll need to boot into safe mode and use the administrator account to create your new account (w/ administrator rights).

Once you have your new account, you'll need to search the computer to find where all your stuff is located and move them into your new profile.
m
l
!