Hard Drive newbie questions.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yes to the first question

check the manual for the second (i don't know, i think it is hard drive specific) though i've never had a problem when i through a HD in a usb case and use it in whatever direction in happens to land --- it probable would cause damage for long term use if it wasn't designed to be used "sideways"

jda70

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Thanks for answering the first question.

This drive I got didn't come with a manual at all.
All there are, are some simple instructions on the top face plate.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It would be easier to answer the first question if you posted the hdd specs from the Seagate site. I wouldn't think it would matter if you installed it sideways if that's how your case is set up but most cases will also let you install it flat. If your talking about an external, really shouldn't matter, you can always set the case so the drive is horizontal

cattbert

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
As the other posters pointed out, you were correct in which is the top and bottom. As to your other question, it does not matter which way the drive is installed, as long as it is secured as it was meant to be in your particular case. While I have never heard of a hard drive that was limited to a particular orientation, just so you would have a certain comfort level I copied the instructions below from the product listing for your HD on the Seagate web site (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c8b0fdcb332c0110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US&reqPage=Support&supportReqTab=Install&vgnextrefresh=1) (note instruction #4):

Attaching Cables and Mounting the Drive

1. Locate a free device connector on the IDE interface cable in your computer.

2. Attach one end of the interface cable to the connector on the system board (see user's manual for locations). Align pin 1 on the cable with pin 1 on the connector. If using the 80-conductor cable, the blue connector should connect to the system board connector. The black connector goes to the Master and the Gray goes to the Slave.

3. Find an unused power connector on a cable coming from the computer power supply and attach it to the 4-pin DC power connector. The power connector is keyed so that it attaches one way only. DO NOT force it.

4. Mount the drive in either the horizontal or vertical position depending on your case orientation.

5. Slide the drive into the bay.

6. Secure the drive using four 6-32 UNC mounting screws. Caution: Do not overtighten the screws. Overtightened screws can damage the drive.

rupert86

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Also want to know if it matters if you install
a HD sideways will it mess it up does it even matter?

Either horizontal or vertical.
I don't know about the others but once I had a Fujitsu drive on which it was written if you put the drive at an inclined angle, there will be more strain on the bearings, which may cause accelerated wear and tear.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
As to your first question, this is a PATA drive and the newer, faster connection is SATA. This is not to suggest you junk this drive, it should be fine but for future reference any new drives should have the SATA rather than PATA connection

TRENDING THREADS