Newb question re: single and dual channel DDR

NaqoyqatZ

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I have an A64 3400+ socket 754 system and am looking to upgrade my RAM. Will this system accept dual channel DDR? It that seems to be the only thing available. From what I have read, it sounds like the memory controler will just use it in single channel mode.

Thanks for helping a newb out :)

Mondoman

Splendid
"Dual-channel" and "single-channel" are *modes* that the memory controller can use in running the installed RAM. There is no electrical/physical difference in the actual memory modules. Sometimes DIMMs are packaged as pairs for convenience/marketing purposes, but you can use them just as you would use two individual DIMMs.

Newegg, for one, has plenty of single DDR DIMMs for sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609047

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I think almost all of the socket 754 systems are limited to single channel DDR. If you really need dual channel DDR, then you'll have to switch to socket 939. But I think socket am2 is better because it still offers upgradability and supports ddr2.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I think almost all of the socket 754 systems are limited to single channel DDR. If you really need dual channel DDR, then you'll have to switch to socket 939. But I think socket am2 is better because it still offers upgradability and supports ddr2.

That doesn´t really make it any better now, does it?