Your question

sata drive! help!

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2007 4:14:44 AM

Okay, so i built my pc with no hitches, boots good, just need to install windows :p  so heres my questions about the sata drive ive got in it :

-First things first. Its connected to all the proper connections on MB and Drive, I go into BIOS, and it appears to be recognised as an IDE drive. is this normal?

-There are options in intergrated periphirals. One of them is to make the drive run as AHCI mode. do i touch this?

-Other option is the mode the port is running at, its default is SATA as IDE. what the hell?? the other options are AHCI and RAID/IDE

Pretty much, all i want to know is how can i make my SATA drive run as SATA and none of thise "IDE mode" stuff. im very confused.

Also, if attempt to install XP and it doesnt find a drive to install it to, what do i do?!

any help appreciated. thanks!

More about : sata drive

a b G Storage
June 10, 2007 5:06:51 AM

As I understand it, this is whats going on. People were getting p!ssed that they needed a floppy to load the SATA drivers while installing windows. What some motherboards do is map the SATA port to an IDE port. This makes the computer see the SATA port as a normal IDE port, and you don't need to load any SATA drivers. My motherboard came with this enabled by default, and I didn't need to mess with SATA drivers. Its up to you if you want to monkey with this.

I left it as an IDE port, and my machine is just fine. I have two IDE drives on the primary, and 2 DVD burners on the secondary. My boot drive is a SATA drive on SATA1, but is mapped to IDE3. (If I remember correctly, I think my bios believes I have 4 IDE ports.)
!