Sign in with
Your question

Vista 64-bit Wireless adapters

Last response: in Components
June 10, 2007 4:45:32 AM

Networking has always made me want to pull my hair out but this one takes the cake so far... I've been looking for a Windows Vista 64-bit compatible wireless adapter for my newly built PC, but can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. I've tried out 3 different adapters(2 Belkin and 1 D-link), and returned them all because the employees I ask about fail to mention the downloadable drivers are for 32-bit only. I've gone through the D-link 64-bit compatibility list, but for whatever reason, D-link doesn't seem to actually SELL any of the adapters it lists. :evil: 

So. I need it from the horse's mouth. From someone who really truly, 100% knows; what adapter(any brand, but D-link prefered) will work on my Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit computer? If you know of one that comes compatible straight out of the box, awesome, even better, but downloadable drivers are certainly fine.

And if you include a link to newegg or a retailer... I just might name my firstborn after you.
June 10, 2007 12:13:44 PM

in the exact same situation here. my Netgear WG111T definetly doesnt work, but the website claims to have 32/64bit drivers for the WG111v2 but im very skeptikal to actually see wether they actually work.

so yeh im £30 down with a usb adapter that doesnt work.

id also appreciate an answer very much :D 
June 11, 2007 1:00:11 AM

For stationary applications, try a wireless bridge. Get it set up once, and thereafter, it's plug & play, driver-free, and OS-independent.

E.g. Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They have additional benefits of potentially better hardware (more space), positioning flexibility, support multiple devices, don't need opening up of the PC, etc. Requires an available Ethernet port, which is pretty much a given these days and not nearly as finicky in terms of drivers and configuration as wireless.

(You can also do this with 3rd-party firmware such as DD-WRT on a compatible router, e.g. WRT54GL or Buffalo WHR-G125, running in client bridge mode.)
Related resources
June 11, 2007 1:50:20 AM

Same boat. I found some drivers, but got random BSOD's. So uninstalled.

Good Luck :D 
June 11, 2007 4:14:27 AM

Thanks for the link. Looks like there USB Adapter also supports XP64.

Thanks
Mike
June 11, 2007 11:33:41 AM

yeh but what about Vista 64?
June 11, 2007 12:00:26 PM

The Belkin G+ F5D7001uk works with the drivers bulit in with Vista 64

See http://www.belkin.com/support/vista/?c=uk

You can pick them up at PC world, always ask the unknowlegable staff there if it will work, as then you can return it if it does not and they cant complain.

So try http://www.ralinktech.com/ for drviers if you have a different one as they have drivers for other OS and they may work with your model
June 11, 2007 12:12:30 PM

Quote:

AG-320
802.11a/g Wireless PCI Card
Complies with IEEE 802.11a/b/g
- Wireless security with 64/128/256-bit WEP Encryption and WPA/WPA2
- Software Access Point (AP) support
- Instant wireless network setup and connection with One Touch Intelligent Security Technology (OTIST)
- Supports WMM for higher throughput and QOS
- Supports Window XP 64-Bit Edition
June 11, 2007 12:13:46 PM

Quote:

AG-320
- Instant wireless network setup and connection with One Touch Intelligent Security Technology (OTIST)

.. needs vista... and on the driver page for that there is no vista driver
June 11, 2007 12:32:02 PM

Check this link

http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&tas...

Version: 11.1.0.100
Date: 5/18/2007
Size: 4722 KB
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit

Product Support List

Wireless WiFi Link 3945ABG Adapter
Wireless WiFi Link 3945BG Adapter
Wireless WiFi Link 3965ABG Adapter
Wireless WiFi Link 3965BG Adapter
Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN Adapter
Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG Adapter
June 12, 2007 6:45:57 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.

For anyone curious, or also in need of assistance, I went to PC club and picked up the TRENDnet TEW-423PI Wireless PCI adapter. It's not a particularly powerful piece of equipment but it gets the job done, and for only 25 bucks. The good thing about this adapter is that no outside drivers are needed at all. Vista(including the 64-bit) come with the drivers already and the only thing needed is to install the card into your motherboard and it sets up for you automatically. Even the drivers that come on the CD provided aren't necessary.
June 12, 2007 7:21:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies.

For anyone curious, or also in need of assistance, I went to PC club and picked up the TRENDnet TEW-423PI Wireless PCI adapter. It's not a particularly powerful piece of equipment but it gets the job done, and for only 25 bucks. The good thing about this adapter is that no outside drivers are needed at all. Vista(including the 64-bit) come with the drivers already and the only thing needed is to install the card into your motherboard and it sets up for you automatically. Even the drivers that come on the CD provided aren't necessary.

There are several different versions of the TEW-423PI, which have different underlying chipset manufactures and versions, therefore have different driver needs. Posting the hardware revision and what indication of that there is on the box might help. Otherwise, it'll still be something of a gamble.

I have one of these sitting on a shelf somewhere... I stopped using it because a wireless bridge served my needs better, and I grew tired of fighting with the wireless drivers/utility of that time.
June 12, 2007 5:32:01 PM

ok heres what someone said they have working under vista x64

Edimax EW-73718USg

but im not sure i may log a query to support, this is the only confirmation i have seen of someone saying it works and i may buy one to see, ill post results if i do
June 16, 2007 3:24:57 AM

Having experienced all the frustrations described here, I currently have a box running WinXP Pro x64 and another box running a dual boot WinXP Pro x64 / Vista Ultimate x64, both using NetGear WG111v2 usb adapters (bought 2 refurbished adapters from TigerDirect for $34 including shipping).
Go to: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v2.asp and download Version 3.3.0 and Beta Version 2.0.1 to get 64bit drivers.
After installing the 64bit drivers, you'll experience a problem with your Windows Logon & User Switching... the NetGear program installs rtlgina2.dll in place of the normal msgina.dll. Just go to: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.ht... to download and run Doug Knox's fix. After this, the world will be right again.
Also, for anyone having a Linksys WUSB54Gv4, go to:
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.i... and follow mrsmith_007's advice precisely to install 64bit drivers... and thank mrsmith_007 everyday! I did this on another stand alone box runing WinXP Pro x64 using the Linksys WUSBGv4 adapter and it's the machine I'm on right now.
Hope this relieves some frustrations.
December 3, 2007 8:05:08 PM

The Trendnet Wireless N PCI adapter TEW-623PI ver 2 has xp x64 adapters, but you have to go here to get them: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.h.... All of the downloads that start PCI (there are three) under Ralink Part Number are for the same file, which is about 34MB. So far the card works fine in XP x64 (the notes say they work for Vista 32/64 as well). This adapter and the matching Trendnet Wireless N Broadband Router are available on Amazon. They're inexpensive and at present carry significant mail in rebates. The router was easy to set up.
December 31, 2007 6:18:25 PM

Note: These are all PCI adapters and are all G, G+ or G+ MIMO, some of them my have support right out of the box, some you might need to pop in the cd and others you might just need to go to the site to get the Vista 32/64-bit drivers, but either way the 32/64-bit drivers exist for all these products. Enjoy :) 

The asus WL-138g v2 has Vista 32/64-bit support.

The D-link WDA-2320 which is rangebooster g, DWL-G520 airplus xtreme g h/w versions b1 and later and the WDA-1320 standard g adapters all have Vista 32/64-bit support.

Belkin's F5D7000 standard g also supports Vista 32/64-bit.

For everyone who likes Linksys, they seem to be lagging behind and I can safely assume that it is probably hurting them in the consumer market right now. A lot of their products have Vista 32-bit support but noooooo Vista 64-bit support. Unless you want to try to find some 3rd-party drivers that aren't from Linksys then by all means go ahead but I'm always iffy about those as I assume anyone would be. I did spend about an hour and a half sifting through each and every product and going to the driver lists for that product but hey, I tried.

Netgear's standard g WG311 h/w ver 3 has vista 32/64-bit support.

Hawking Technologies' Hi-Speed Wireless-G PCI Card Revision R has vista 32/64-bit support.

Buffalo Technologies' site is down because they can't sell wi-fi stuff at the moment. Something about they violated the 802.11 standards or something like that and the FCC got all up on them. But I've seen them at Circuit City, I don't know why the can't sell their own crap.

Ok, I tried to hit everyones fav brands, sorry for the Linksys lovers that are running 64-bit. Maybe this will help you guys out :) 
March 25, 2008 5:33:57 AM

OK- plz spell it out for me- I don't have time to play tech-wanna-be. :??: 

Here's what I own: Dell 490 w/MS Vista Business- 64 bit build Xeon Processor. This would be the computer receiving the PCI card. My son's computer is a Gateway w/MS XP sp2- Intel Pentium 3- this would be the one hosting the wireless router. :pt1cable: 

I need to know which PCI card is the best and EASIEST to purchase and install on my computer- and WHERE in the USA to go to buy that- eg:Best Buy, CompUSA, Office Depot, etc. I need to know which router is the best and most compatible with that PCI card. I don't have to time to keep returning stuff to the store that's "supposed" to be compatible, only to find out it isn't or that the computer won't recognize the firmware upgrades, etc. etc. Why can't half these store actually hire knowledgable staff? It's wasting my gas everytime I return something!! :cry: 

I work 6x10 graveyards- and frankly all I want to do is install the card and be ready to get on the Internet when I come home from work and then go to bed and get my sleep before I have to go back to work. :sleep: 

Someone please give me a good answer once and for all- otherwise (and I really don't want to do this) I will start drilling holes in the wall of my townhome and I will run a CAT5. :pfff: 
March 25, 2008 6:34:16 AM

If you are going to drill holes in your walls to run wire, may I suggest cat 6 as it meets NFPA code and will make for a better install.
Cisco/Linksys just works, better than other brands. Why screw with other makers crap.
October 15, 2008 7:35:25 PM

Contradictory to what has been said I currently have a netgear WG111T :bounce:  . I researched performance on the internet and found nothing but good reviews about its performance. I am currently using Vista 64 with a quad core, 4gig DDR ram,i had to download the driver from their site and even thought it sometimes does have an issue with compatibility (as per some error messages), it sometimes does not recover the USB connection when my computer goes from sleep or Hybernate mode to active use, I have had to reset my computer :pt1cable:  . However, when I disconnect the usb adapted before going to sleep, and wait to become active before reconnecting the adapter, the device works perfect :D  . I have reserved my self to dealing with the minor inconvenience of this for the performance, wich is stellar. Considering my computer is in an old building, (100yrs.), with what I guess are several coats of lead paint of the years under the new paint and my terminal has several walls between it and the modem.
October 26, 2008 8:38:06 PM

NETGEAR WG111T is working for 64 bit vista by install the driver software to progam files folder(download V2.1 from NETGEAR.COM) . It will not work if install to program files (x86).

Trendent TEW-424UB is also working with 64 bit vista but must install to driver software to program file (x86) by default ( no way to change) using the disk from the retail box, and let window to manage your wireless network.

Both must search the driver from C: drive and subfolder checked. TEW-424UB is much cooler than WG111T.
January 26, 2009 10:40:18 PM

I have exactly the same problem. After 2 hours on the phone, Lynksys told me they did not make any product with drivers compatible with 64 bit Vista computers. They say a driver is in process, but were unable to say when it would be available.
February 6, 2009 5:39:09 PM

Linksys told me the same thing, but ten minutes later I was at Best Buy and they found the Linksys RangePlus Wireless PCI Adapter Model No.: WMP110. It works right out of the box with Vista 64 bit. Though it appeared to not work at first, a quick call in to tech support had me up and running in minutes. No drivers to add or anything. It just worked when they walked me through the steps: First confirming with Device Manager that it was indeed installed and working correctly (it was) then Start - Control Panel - Network & Sharing - etc.
March 3, 2009 7:44:54 PM

Yoosty said:
Quote:

AG-320

Excuse me but if computer is new, will installing the PCI card ruin your warranty? Thank you
Anonymous
March 6, 2009 8:39:04 PM

Hey everyone
i got mine fixed easy with my 3 mobile broadband pen
you could also hook it up with ethernet. but my pc is upstairs
when i couldnt get it done i used my sisters 3 usb pen to get on the internet and windows done the rest for me for vista 64 bit all i had to do was plug in the belkin cards and let windows instal the needed drivers
April 6, 2009 8:02:13 AM

Hi Every One
I have installed SBS2008 64bit on my High-end PC/server.
I had a Ralink PCI card but the Wlan application kept on Crashing and when i enabled my wireless card(the driver was instaaled without any issue) the card automatically disbales itself.
I have now bought a Canyon wirelss card and it does the same.
Can anyone help me with a solution.
Anonymous
May 26, 2009 4:58:36 PM

hello
i am on wireless and i have a 64 bit netgear adapter and as soon as i turn on my pc it come on if not need to wait for about 5 mins then it connects i had 2 problems installing it but it works now and i am on vista and it works on xp as well as i have an old pc on xp i hope this helps you.
August 25, 2009 5:46:11 PM

libby said:
Excuse me but if computer is new, will installing the PCI card ruin your warranty? Thank you

In general, it will not void your warranty. That's assuming you don't break it in the process, but this isn't likely.

I am also looking for a Wireless card. One person in here linked to the Trendnet 623PI. I DO NOT recommend this adapter under Vista 64 bit. It works, yes, but I recently purchased one and while the card reads 270MBps with my router, as soon as I start a download the thing can drop all the way down to 1MBps or less. This obviously isn't good as I occasionally need to transfer files that are over a GB on the network. I've tried more drivers than I can remember with the thing, all with the same results. Newegg refunded my money without even asking for the POS back. All of this was with a high-gain antenna as well.

I've reverted back to using my WRT54G as a wireless bridge because it performs much better with a consistent 54MBps connection. This still leaves me with slow data transfer over the network though.

Does anyone out there own a wireless N adapter that they've personally tested with Vista 64 that can keep a solid 300MBps even during file transfer?
September 16, 2009 6:51:58 PM

I am in the same boat, and after doing much research, it seems a wireless bridge is the best way to do this. Earlier in this thread, Madwand mentioned using the bridge, and I think its the best way to do this. You skip all the driver problems, have a bigger selection, and the bridge will generally provide a stronger, more consistant signal. One product I was looking at is this ethernet converter, its a little pricy, but dual-band N would be very fast;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 20, 2009 2:50:11 AM

Torment30 said:

So try http://www.ralinktech.com/ for drviers if you have a different one as they have drivers for other OS and they may work with your model

I see the drivers at Software->Windows (from the menu on top)

but do these drivers just work with their own products? I am having the same problem, having bought an EDUP IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adaptor and it installs on my Vista 64, but the utility doesn't come up. Looking for a driver first, before going to purchase a new adaptor
May 1, 2010 5:52:34 AM

my sisters boyfriend gave me this linksys rangepluse wireless PCI Adapter for free anyway i took it home hook it into my desktop computer and it says new soft ware detected please insert disk wich i dont have. is their a way i can get it to work on my desktop computer without internet. My computer has windows vista an the wireless PCI Adapter model number is WMP110 if it helps. P.S. I used my sisters labtop and went to the website from who makes it and followed the instructions on how to download the software but i tried to download it to a laxor save card to see if i could take it home and tranfer the files but i couldnt get it to save on the laxor save card
!