Should I Change to Vista?

hockster

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I've been running XP Pro SP3 for a number of years now. I never changed to Vista because of all the horror stories I was hearing about it. And with Microsoft even publically admitting that Vista didn't live up to their expectations, and the fact that there are virutally no applications or games to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture (correct me if I'm wrong), I have found no legitimate reason to get off XP Pro at this point. Not even because I can run more memory. Do you really need 4-6 GB's to effectively game?

I'm contstantly asked and often with amazement why I'm still running XP. My rig is primarily for gaming, and I'll soon be building a new one with an i7 920, ASUS P6T and GTX 285.

An honest question - Can anyone present some solid reasons why I should change to Vista? Am I missing something here?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I think if you had gotten Vista you would have liked it.
When it first came out it had some problems but they were cleared up when the correct drivers were created.
I have been dual boting XP and Vista for a long time and to tell the truth the kids are the ones that still use XP because their stuff is still on there.
When I need to go work on it for them I sometimes find that there are things in Vista that isnt in XP and I miss them.

To answer your question though I would wait on Vista and go straight to
Windows 7. If I remember it is being released in Oct. or Nov.
It is based on Vista technology so its rollout should go much smoother.
There are many enhancements included and I think you will like it.
It sounds like you are getting a pretty nice setup so you should get what should be the best op system.
Something to consider with that rig wiuld be to use the 64 bit version as more things everyday are being written to take advantage of the 64 bit addresses, especially games and photoshop. The extra memory can be very helpful when it is needed.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Well, personally I think Vista has better looks etc, but that's about the only reason I would keep it. I don't think there is anything I will miss when going back to XP besides the look :p.

I'm now going back to the old xp, leaving vista behind.
But you can get vista somewhere for free, I recommend trying it, but if you have to pay 1xx$, I don't think it's that good to do it.

Wait till Windows 7 is released and then make the step :p

hockster

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for the advice! I've always been a bit leary adopting a new OS upon its release. But perhaps MS has learned something from their Vista fiasco.

Did MS restrict DirectX 10 for Vista only?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Yeah MS has had some trouble with new OS but since W7 is based on Vista code I dont think it will be a problem.
I dont have it but have been trying to keep track of it and have heard many good things about it.
This forum has a section on W7 that you can look through and see what they are doing with it.
I have Vista for a long time and the only problems that I really had were the occasional bad (or lack of a) driver at first due to the new way that they implemented some things.