PITA Wake from Hybrid Sleep - Occasional Problem

[SOLVED] The Windows 7 Hotfixes leading up to 08-10-2011 CORRECTED the problem. Haven't had a problem since - knock on wood :D

As the Title says, "Wake [strike]for[/strike] from Hybrid Sleep - Occasional Problem" this is on my wife's Desktop primarily. The PC gets 'hung' in-between Sleep -> Wake, we 'can' press the Power button to shut it down and the reboot fully recovers 'S4' state so nothing's lost. In the Event Manager there are no 'Critical Errors' = 0; actually never had any 'Critical Errors' - knock on wood. This has been happening for the past, best guessing, 2+ weeks and has happened maybe 4-6 times. During that time NO new Apps were installed. However, I did notice every time Outlook 2007 was running - actually she always leave it running. The PC only gets restarted at most 1-2 times a week and it's generally me updating.

Today I installed ALL, bunch of them, Windows Hotfixes, and I'm contemplating updating the GPU drivers, and yes ALL other drivers are up-to-date.

So this is more an annoyance. Memtest is 100% good, H/W all seems okay - good temps, etc. Occasionally, I get those pesky {.SHD} files stuck in the Spooler that I delete that prevents Sleep. This seems to be a Windows thing, and I'm not interested in updating the BIOS if at all possible - because I don't feel it's the root problem. I did run a full check disk -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg

So short of re-installing Windows -- any ideas?? Have others had a similar issue?

Thanks! :)

Specs:
CPU: i7 930 (2.8 MHz) Stock
MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E {not the latest BIOS}
RAM: 6GB (3X2GB) DDR3 1600MHz (Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D)
FAN: Corsair H50 Push/Pull
HDD1: 128 GB Kingston SSD
HDD2-3: (2X1TB) RAID 1 Hitachi SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache HDDs
VIDEO: HD 5770 1GB
PSU: Corsair 750 Watts CMPSU-750TX
CASE: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced
DVD: LG 22X DVD

BIOS set to:
1. Suspend Mode [Auto]
2. Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]
3. ACPI 2.0 Support [Disabled]
4. ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]
5. EuP Ready [Disabled]

On her rig the only non-stock/default is the RAM {manually set properly} and since it has a pump on the CPU header the CPU Fan management is off/100%. I also set the Temp/CPU fan alarms; in case of pump failure. I told her if it suddenly start beeping shut 'er down ;)

Since all the Windows Hotfixes - no problems in 2 days.

Like i said, it's an annoyance. I offered to wipe & re-install the OS, but she didn't want the day down time -- My way of dealing with Windows ;)

So I assume those settings shouldn't interfere with Hybrid Sleep.

The choices are: S1 (POS), S3 Only or Auto. I know Hybrid Sleep is an S3 + S4 state. So if I choose S1 then poof goes the Hybrid.

I first thought the hiberfil.sys might be getting corrupted, still not 100% sure if it is or isn't -- reason I'm not sure if 'Check Disk' {both options} actually checks it especially in the S0/on state. The 'back-up' aka S4 restores the PC to S0 -- but unless the PC gets restarted {flush the S4 hiberfil.sys} it'll repeat the problem.

Yes sure what do you have in mind?

I've run powercfg -energy she had Spooler {.SHD} preventing sleep a few times, I've 'tweaked' stuff like turning-off Windows media sharing, etc. I get the atypical USB warnings, but I've been over it with a fine tooth comb.

The problem is the PC, don't know how else to put it, begins the wake-up process and gets stuck between the H/W turning 'on' and Windows resuming -- HW ON {Fans, USB, Fan Controller, & Monitor}, 1 beep I think (stalls)-> Black screen & Limbo.

If she gets the problem again then my 'plan' is/was to turn-off Hibernation in Windows, delete the hiberfil.sys (properly), and turn it all back on and keep an eye on it.

As I said, powercfg -energy had the occasional Spooler {.SHD} which 'is' in fact software, powercfg -energy looks at anything that can affect sleep including H/W. The H/W I know in looking at the reports isn't the issue.

Since the problem has gone away 'now' for 5-days straight it 'seems' the the root cause, so far, has been resolved by the numerous Hotfixes.