USB Ports not working!! Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Hi everyone,
My USB ports all stoped working very suddenly. Nothing is being detected when i connect it to a USB port. I have tried everything.

1. try different devices with different ports
2. Reinstall drivers
3. Reformat harddrive, install windows and drivers
4. try different drivers
5. Check USB ports are enabled in BIOS
6. Update BIOS

Non of these seemed to work. I even bought in a different USB hub and plugged it in to the motherboard and its ports wont work.
The wierd thing is when i connect my ipod to any of the ports, it shows its getting power and charging, but it is not be detected.

Any ideas? thanks for any help guys...

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Uhm...this wouldn't happen to be a Gigabyte motherboard would it? The reason I asked because the Gigabyte MB I had started to fail (again) and after being repaired, the USB ports began to fail...then suddenly, NO BOOT! Had it RMA'd, same thing happened a week later. Now a few months down the road, it happened again...I might as well dump it as it's not worth the constant shipping..

Anyhow, most likely a driver issue or your board is dying. Check System Properties by "Right Clicking" on "My Computer," "Properties," "Hardware," and "Device Manager" and look for "Problem Devices."

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Yes i am using a gigabyte motherboard.
PC Specs:

Intel P4 3.2 GHz
Gigabyte GA-8IP775-g
1GB RAM
128MB Radeon 9200 Pro Family
120GB Hard drive
MS Winows XP Pro SP2

How do you clear the CMOS? thanks...

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
my motherboard manual will tell me what? how to clear the CMOS or why my USB ports arn't working?

Any other ideas? thanks...

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
unplug power cord(optional), take out the battery, wait for a while, then put everything back. that should reset the CMOS. if the ports are still not workin, then u have a dying mobo my friend!

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I reset the BIOS to the default settings. I even cleared the CMOS by taking out the battery. NOTHING!

Really? i dying motherboard? anyone else agree with that? everything else in the mobo seems to be working fine...

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
its not all bad maybe. u can get one of those 'pci card with usb ports'. these r really cheap, and i think its worth a shot.

let us know how its works out.

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
its not all bad maybe. u can get one of those 'pci card with usb ports'. these r really cheap, and i think its worth a shot.

let us know how its works out.

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
i could get a PCI USB piece, but if the motherboard is dying and it killed the USB ports with it, wouldn't it kill something else sooner or later?

So, wouldnt it be better to get a new motherboard?

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Get a pci usb controler it's very cheap and problem solved.

Buy a new mobo only if you really need to and I think you dont.

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
okay...thanks guys for all the help...that was a new problem for...i love commin across new cases...

okay, im gonna get a PCI card, if anythin else happens...ill bye a new mobo...

is there some way i can close this thread?

3maunaolu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Just wondering what happened.

I've been reading the thread and have had the same problem.
Did PCI adaptor work?
I tried buying one and couldn't get it to connect.

nalikov

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I have been monitoring this thread as well, and I wanted to throw in something I have been experiencing. After doing a minor fan adjustment yesterday all of my USB ports quit working as well. I also don't receive a signal to my monitor (The power light just blinks). Different from you all, I have an ASUS P5Q Pro MOBO only a week old.

The main problem is that I cant even get into my computer now. With the keyboard, mouse, and monitor disabled, I am basically limited as to what I can do. Everything seems to be related to the MOBO problem you guys are talking about above. My question is, would the monitor problem be the MOBO as well or the GTX 295? I think were experiencing the same problem, except more stuff is dying quicker on mine.

susymaka

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Hi All,

I have the same problem. All my USB ports are not working............. Can any body help please. Thanks in advance.

ovelha

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Hi all!

I also have the same problem... Only some USB ports are working (and they change! Not allways de sames!). And suddenly the screen goes off!!!

I wonder if is a power shortage... I only have 250W source.

Any ideas?

jonahpro

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
This worked for me about 30 minutes ago and I've heard it has helped a lot of other folks. Shut down your computer completely, unplug the power cord from the back for at least a minute (this drains the power from everything). Then power back up. All of my USB ports were flaking out, first one, then another, then my whole USB hub was gone. This little trick has them all back up and running perfectly.

Good luck!

Lorenz in LV

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
My USB flash/jump drive was working just fine, but stopped one day.

I unplugged all USB devices first, then tried my USB jump drive again. IT WORKED! I narrowed down the problem to the new printer I am using. It's a Dell Mono Laser MFP 1125. Whenever it is plugged into a USB port, my jump drive stops working. All other devices work, but not the jump drive if the printer is plugged in. I will be contacting Dell for a fix, but others may be experiencing problems due to one of their USB devices also interfering with their jump drive.

I hope others try unplugging their other USB devices before using their USB jump drive - at least before trying a more technical solution.

G

Hi guys
First of all if usb not working try to upgarde the chipset drivers
I am sure this is the first solution.
Thanks
Risve

dsnabsp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone dual boot with linux? If so, check the USB ports in that first. I believe if everyone here is using windows, that its not a mobo problem but a windows problem. I had two ports not working, and I fixed one by putting in the last device i used back in and ejecting it. It was an IPOD. Now i just got to find that second device. I at first thought it was a problem with windows not reading the device I had(flash stick) after putting it in a linux machine. Turns out that windows sucks at handling USB Ports. Which is why reseting the CMOS on the mobo did not work BTW. The stored info is on the HD not the chipset. I am still researching this. Ill let yall know when I find a fix. This is also not for everyone. I know everyone here is not having the same problem. This is just another solution for the few that it helps, and another debug for everyone else

Johnnyno3

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Jonah you the Man! Tried this on my Dell, same problem, now back in business. Isn't it just sometimes a simple solution is the answer. Gracias !

rolandtyler

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

dsnabsp,
Have you found a solution? I first thought it was the mobo, but after adding in a usb pci card, those usb ports do not work either. So it has to be something with windows. It is a fresh windows install with all updates and drivers, though window drivers, not mobo manufacturer. I will try to update the chipset then find the mobo usb drivers. will let you know if this works.

pdaniels

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I own a Mac iBook G4.

Occasionally, when I attach a flash drive or my iPod to one of my two USB ports, nothing happens.

The solution that has worked for me up to this point is disconnecting the devices from my USB ports, restarting the computer, and then reconnecting the devices.

I have a feeling that my computer is getting old and that my restarting strategy may some day no longer work. So far, it is working for me.

Best wishes!

Paul
Telford, PA

BioTryx

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hey.

I've been having the same problems too, except i have no idea how to do ANYTHING. i suck dick with the computer, so if someone could PLEASE help me, i would be very greatful. THANKS!!!!

-BioTryx^_^

G

I had the exact same problem. Last night I had left my computer up and idle for maybe an hour, I came back to it and somehow all the devices connected to USB ports stopped working.

Except strangely enough for my wireless mouse + keyboard (some USB device controls them).

So I tried, as some said here, to unplug the power plug for a few mins (I did maybe 20) and now everything works fine again, and hopefully stays that way.

chris894007

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Ok after a long thread for many months i think i have the solution for this, well the same happened to me when i moved my system to a new case, when i hooked everything up all my back ports stopped working, except the front usb ports, except for video since i have a dedicated graphics card, and i couldnt even log in to windows. Anyway this lead me to changing my JUSB jumpers on my motherboard so what i did was leave JUSB 1 jumper the way it is since that powers the back ports, and JUSB2 i closed from pin1-2 that it was, to pin2-3, JUSB2 will power USB3 which is my front panel and also USB 4 and 5 which i dont have any usb panels connected to
hope this works for all you with this problem, u should read your mobo manual, it helps alot. Even though i got it fixed im still looking for a more solid xplanation of what exactly causes it to do this, someone in this thread posted they had this problem when dealing with fans and i thought maybe, that could've been mine since i now had to power 2 120mm fans with this new case i bought or maybe my front usb panel since it has the option for AC'97 or High Def audio but since my mobo wont take AC 97 for the front audio, i had to do the HighDef.

Status
Not open for further replies.