Sign in with
Your question
Closed

USB Ports not working!! Please Help!!

Last response: in Components
June 10, 2007 7:46:38 AM

Hi everyone,
My USB ports all stoped working very suddenly. Nothing is being detected when i connect it to a USB port. I have tried everything.

1. try different devices with different ports
2. Reinstall drivers
3. Reformat harddrive, install windows and drivers
4. try different drivers
5. Check USB ports are enabled in BIOS
6. Update BIOS

Non of these seemed to work. I even bought in a different USB hub and plugged it in to the motherboard and its ports wont work.
The wierd thing is when i connect my ipod to any of the ports, it shows its getting power and charging, but it is not be detected.

Any ideas? thanks for any help guys...

More about : usb ports working

June 10, 2007 8:22:23 AM

Uhm...this wouldn't happen to be a Gigabyte motherboard would it? The reason I asked because the Gigabyte MB I had started to fail (again) and after being repaired, the USB ports began to fail...then suddenly, NO BOOT! Had it RMA'd, same thing happened a week later. Now a few months down the road, it happened again...I might as well dump it as it's not worth the constant shipping..

Anyhow, most likely a driver issue or your board is dying. Check System Properties by "Right Clicking" on "My Computer," "Properties," "Hardware," and "Device Manager" and look for "Problem Devices."
June 10, 2007 9:30:34 AM

Yes i am using a gigabyte motherboard.
PC Specs:

Intel P4 3.2 GHz
Gigabyte GA-8IP775-g
1GB RAM
128MB Radeon 9200 Pro Family
120GB Hard drive
MS Winows XP Pro SP2

How do you clear the CMOS? thanks...
Related resources
June 11, 2007 4:11:26 AM

my motherboard manual will tell me what? how to clear the CMOS or why my USB ports arn't working?

Any other ideas? thanks...
June 11, 2007 5:37:31 AM

unplug power cord(optional), take out the battery, wait for a while, then put everything back. that should reset the CMOS. if the ports are still not workin, then u have a dying mobo my friend!
June 11, 2007 5:42:25 AM

I reset the BIOS to the default settings. I even cleared the CMOS by taking out the battery. NOTHING!

Really? i dying motherboard? anyone else agree with that? everything else in the mobo seems to be working fine...
June 11, 2007 12:06:03 PM

its not all bad maybe. u can get one of those 'pci card with usb ports'. these r really cheap, and i think its worth a shot.

let us know how its works out.
June 11, 2007 12:06:57 PM

its not all bad maybe. u can get one of those 'pci card with usb ports'. these r really cheap, and i think its worth a shot.

let us know how its works out.
June 11, 2007 12:11:45 PM

i could get a PCI USB piece, but if the motherboard is dying and it killed the USB ports with it, wouldn't it kill something else sooner or later?

So, wouldnt it be better to get a new motherboard?
June 11, 2007 1:25:59 PM

Get a pci usb controler it's very cheap and problem solved.

Buy a new mobo only if you really need to and I think you dont.
June 11, 2007 1:41:39 PM

okay...thanks guys for all the help...that was a new problem for...i love commin across new cases...

okay, im gonna get a PCI card, if anythin else happens...ill bye a new mobo...

is there some way i can close this thread?
December 15, 2008 6:30:47 PM

Just wondering what happened.

I've been reading the thread and have had the same problem.
Did PCI adaptor work?
I tried buying one and couldn't get it to connect.
February 14, 2009 7:02:39 PM

I have been monitoring this thread as well, and I wanted to throw in something I have been experiencing. After doing a minor fan adjustment yesterday all of my USB ports quit working as well. I also don't receive a signal to my monitor (The power light just blinks). Different from you all, I have an ASUS P5Q Pro MOBO only a week old.

The main problem is that I cant even get into my computer now. With the keyboard, mouse, and monitor disabled, I am basically limited as to what I can do. Everything seems to be related to the MOBO problem you guys are talking about above. My question is, would the monitor problem be the MOBO as well or the GTX 295? I think were experiencing the same problem, except more stuff is dying quicker on mine.
March 8, 2009 7:01:48 PM

Hi All,

I have the same problem. All my USB ports are not working............. Can any body help please. Thanks in advance.
April 5, 2009 5:14:22 PM

Hi all!

I also have the same problem... Only some USB ports are working (and they change! Not allways de sames!). And suddenly the screen goes off!!!

I wonder if is a power shortage... I only have 250W source.

Any ideas?
April 14, 2009 5:58:39 PM

This worked for me about 30 minutes ago and I've heard it has helped a lot of other folks. Shut down your computer completely, unplug the power cord from the back for at least a minute (this drains the power from everything). Then power back up. All of my USB ports were flaking out, first one, then another, then my whole USB hub was gone. This little trick has them all back up and running perfectly.

Good luck!
April 19, 2009 7:22:51 PM

My USB flash/jump drive was working just fine, but stopped one day.

I unplugged all USB devices first, then tried my USB jump drive again. IT WORKED! I narrowed down the problem to the new printer I am using. It's a Dell Mono Laser MFP 1125. Whenever it is plugged into a USB port, my jump drive stops working. All other devices work, but not the jump drive if the printer is plugged in. I will be contacting Dell for a fix, but others may be experiencing problems due to one of their USB devices also interfering with their jump drive.

I hope others try unplugging their other USB devices before using their USB jump drive - at least before trying a more technical solution.
Anonymous
May 21, 2009 4:40:14 AM

Hi guys
First of all if usb not working try to upgarde the chipset drivers
I am sure this is the first solution.
Thanks
Risve
July 12, 2009 7:08:02 AM

Does anyone dual boot with linux? If so, check the USB ports in that first. I believe if everyone here is using windows, that its not a mobo problem but a windows problem. I had two ports not working, and I fixed one by putting in the last device i used back in and ejecting it. It was an IPOD. Now i just got to find that second device. I at first thought it was a problem with windows not reading the device I had(flash stick) after putting it in a linux machine. Turns out that windows sucks at handling USB Ports. Which is why reseting the CMOS on the mobo did not work BTW. The stored info is on the HD not the chipset. I am still researching this. Ill let yall know when I find a fix. This is also not for everyone. I know everyone here is not having the same problem. This is just another solution for the few that it helps, and another debug for everyone else
July 22, 2009 9:38:43 AM

jonahpro said:
This worked for me about 30 minutes ago and I've heard it has helped a lot of other folks. Shut down your computer completely, unplug the power cord from the back for at least a minute (this drains the power from everything). Then power back up. All of my USB ports were flaking out, first one, then another, then my whole USB hub was gone. This little trick has them all back up and running perfectly.

Good luck!

Jonah you the Man! Tried this on my Dell, same problem, now back in business. Isn't it just sometimes a simple solution is the answer. Gracias !
July 26, 2009 12:25:41 PM

dsnabsp said:
Does anyone dual boot with linux? If so, check the USB ports in that first. I believe if everyone here is using windows, that its not a mobo problem but a windows problem. I had two ports not working, and I fixed one by putting in the last device i used back in and ejecting it. It was an IPOD. Now i just got to find that second device. I at first thought it was a problem with windows not reading the device I had(flash stick) after putting it in a linux machine. Turns out that windows sucks at handling USB Ports. Which is why reseting the CMOS on the mobo did not work BTW. The stored info is on the HD not the chipset. I am still researching this. Ill let yall know when I find a fix. This is also not for everyone. I know everyone here is not having the same problem. This is just another solution for the few that it helps, and another debug for everyone else

dsnabsp,
Have you found a solution? I first thought it was the mobo, but after adding in a usb pci card, those usb ports do not work either. So it has to be something with windows. It is a fresh windows install with all updates and drivers, though window drivers, not mobo manufacturer. I will try to update the chipset then find the mobo usb drivers. will let you know if this works.
September 6, 2009 4:33:32 AM

I own a Mac iBook G4.

Occasionally, when I attach a flash drive or my iPod to one of my two USB ports, nothing happens.

The solution that has worked for me up to this point is disconnecting the devices from my USB ports, restarting the computer, and then reconnecting the devices.

I have a feeling that my computer is getting old and that my restarting strategy may some day no longer work. So far, it is working for me.

Best wishes!

Paul
Telford, PA
September 19, 2009 3:23:47 AM

Hey.

I've been having the same problems too, except i have no idea how to do ANYTHING. i suck dick with the computer, so if someone could PLEASE help me, i would be very greatful. THANKS!!!!

-BioTryx^_^
Anonymous
September 24, 2009 1:24:13 AM

I had the exact same problem. Last night I had left my computer up and idle for maybe an hour, I came back to it and somehow all the devices connected to USB ports stopped working.

Except strangely enough for my wireless mouse + keyboard (some USB device controls them).

So I tried, as some said here, to unplug the power plug for a few mins (I did maybe 20) and now everything works fine again, and hopefully stays that way.
October 24, 2009 5:37:03 PM

Ok after a long thread for many months i think i have the solution for this, well the same happened to me when i moved my system to a new case, when i hooked everything up all my back ports stopped working, except the front usb ports, except for video since i have a dedicated graphics card, and i couldnt even log in to windows. Anyway this lead me to changing my JUSB jumpers on my motherboard so what i did was leave JUSB 1 jumper the way it is since that powers the back ports, and JUSB2 i closed from pin1-2 that it was, to pin2-3, JUSB2 will power USB3 which is my front panel and also USB 4 and 5 which i dont have any usb panels connected to
hope this works for all you with this problem, u should read your mobo manual, it helps alot. Even though i got it fixed im still looking for a more solid xplanation of what exactly causes it to do this, someone in this thread posted they had this problem when dealing with fans and i thought maybe, that could've been mine since i now had to power 2 120mm fans with this new case i bought or maybe my front usb panel since it has the option for AC'97 or High Def audio but since my mobo wont take AC 97 for the front audio, i had to do the HighDef.
Anonymous
November 15, 2009 11:17:17 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THIS WORKED FOR ME<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
DISABLE ALL UNIVERSAL BUS PORTS
ENABLE THEM AGAIN
IT SHOULD WORK :D 
Anonymous
November 17, 2009 4:19:44 PM

I also have thumb driver problem. Its not been reconized in the PC.
I removed the battery off the motherboard. And its still happen. PLEASE HELP!!!
December 11, 2009 6:40:17 PM

:hello: 
Funnily enough , I just had a similar problem, usb ports on a friends pc all stopped working- If the previous fixes already offered do not fix the problem, -Microsoft has a few answers , and a 'fix-it' gadget - that you could try,( I have added that to my little tool-box- I also save a copy of my toolbox on cd, as well as usb).- Go at this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900
-baklogic :o 
December 15, 2009 11:53:30 PM

I was just in the middle of something on my computer when all of a sudden my keyboard and mouse stopped working. I have unplugged the mouse and keyboard and tried other usb plugs. My keyboard lights up when plugged in but goes right back off. My mouse lights up and stays lit ( I have an optical). I have event tried my wireless mouse and to no avail nothing happend. I've tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard and restarting then plugging them in and that doesn't help either. I'm on my laptop right now with my desktop unplugged waiting for all the power to drain. I'm hoping it works but if it doesn't does anyone have any other suggestions?
December 16, 2009 9:58:46 AM

:hello: 
When you start your pc, does the keyboard allow you access to f8 (safe mode) ?
If it does, check for any downloaded updates, on , or, about the time this happened , and uninstall them, if you can, as this can happen with a bad update, and updates can be re-installed later, if you wish.
Also, while in safe mode,( if accessable)put your windows cd into the romdrive, and ,click on start, run, and type in
sfc /scannow
Note the space after sfc.
If you can do this in safe mode, it could replace corrupted files-you will get a moving line in a small frame, and might have to click retry several times while it replaces corrupted/faulty files.
Failing the above, again, withe the windows disc in the rom, you can try a repair, from startup (you will need to check the bios (usually f2)on startup to ensure you boot from cd rom.
Usually a repair will leave your data, but you may have to re-install some programs.
:sol: 
December 29, 2009 10:59:30 AM

@Jonahpro ;

Your tip saved the day;
Nothing worked; all usb ports gone; I was unable even to uninstall them in device mgr.
Unplugged pc for one night; tried next morning... bingo! Back in business :-))

Have a good 2010 all!
December 29, 2009 9:27:59 PM

Asus has new USB patch for XP sp3 that i am going to try. once I get the VGA driver Downloaded Asus Site is running like molasas in winter, Mind you it is up Today was crashed yesterday (Dec 28,2009)
December 30, 2009 1:01:36 AM

well i had an old socket A motherboard. it was made by SOYO. well anyway, the ps2 keyobard would only work sometrimes, but i looked closer at the board, cause the problam was getting worse and worse well the capacitors had bulged/leaked etc.
December 31, 2009 10:51:38 PM

I have the same problem...but I got around it for now by using a multi usb port.....Its really a windows problem I think...the computer will not recognize anything i plug in directly but if I use the multi port and plug everything into it they all work....I still get the message sometimes but everything is working.
January 6, 2010 4:31:14 PM

Suffering the same thing myself. I reckon its down to a Belkin 54g USB Wireless Adapter I installed (and have now uninstalled!!.

However, tried the disable/enable...nothing

Tried the power cable out .....not a sausage

Tried updating drivers....all up to date.

Really struggling
January 8, 2010 4:46:12 AM

So I just had the same problem of dead USB ports on my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop. While working, the screen flashed a couple times and went black. I had to manually shut down and reboot, after which I kept getting messags about a USB device malfunctioning. But none of the USB ports are working.

I've rebooted a couple times, checked the Device Manager for problems (found none). Can I do the unplug and drain the power idea on a laptop? I'll probably try that since it's getting to be time for bed.

If I don't get them working soon, I'll have to go back to Staples where I bought it about 6 months ago and see what they can do for me.
January 9, 2010 1:33:06 PM

i think to drain everyting you unplug, remove battery, and hold down power button for (14? i think) seconds....
Anonymous
January 27, 2010 12:23:35 AM

Had the same problem today... unplugging everything and resetting the CMOS helped solved the problem...

Whew... Thought I had to get a new motherboard. :bounce: 
January 27, 2010 9:41:54 AM

Watch out for loose connections, insatall it again.
Anonymous
February 14, 2010 10:50:41 PM

tsf said:
unplug power cord(optional), take out the battery, wait for a while, then put everything back. that should reset the CMOS. if the ports are still not workin, then u have a dying mobo my friend!

Thnxx a lot .. this solved my problem :D 
Anonymous
February 15, 2010 3:23:17 PM

My usb port not working when connecting device, this wil happen suddenly, printer also not working it is already connected usb port, charging by usb port all should be ok, what I can do
Anonymous
March 12, 2010 7:17:19 AM

After days of trying troubleshooting and analyzing and implementing different solutions. A simple advise to all Laptop owners without needing to reinstall or updating or damaging your bios.

Instruction:
- Unplug all the cables that are connected to your laptop
- Remove the battery of your laptop
- leave it for 1 min. and dont be hasty
- Plug everything back and turn your laptop on. Voila! problem solve.

good luck.

This solution only works to a laptop that has not been totally compromised.

The main cause.
Please remember, Old HPs, VAIO and some Dells will not reset the device state UNTIL you take the battery out for 1min or more. There is always power going through it. That's why your VAIO will fully drain a battery even on 'shutdown' after a few days while not being connected to the A/C

Reynaldo Suyat
The Netherlands

March 13, 2010 8:47:06 PM

Ok i have a theory.
Normally, a USB port takes around 3v to run. The power will all add up and if you have installed an extra harddrive/disk drive, try removing it for a while and see if the problem stops, if it does, you should get a better power supply
March 13, 2010 9:28:15 PM

Die necro thread die!
[:thegreatgrapeape:7]
!