Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ok i won over dad. What does everyone think of the build

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 10, 2007 8:24:14 AM

Hi again. I have finally perswaded dad to let me spend a little more on graphics for the pc. Bascially im buying 1 of them. Just wondering if the build is ok? Please not i will be buying after the july 22nd price drop. Also the final price represents what he will be paying having sold our old rig (£250 hopefully) and having factored in my £100 contribution.

Case: Icute (iknow the name sucks) 50I-Cute Black Mid Tower Case with 25cm Side Fan - No PSU £24

Psu: Hiper 730 watt crossfire certified with four x12 volt rails. £82

Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX. £115

Processor: Intel q6600 4x2.66ghz £150

ram: 2x Kingston DDr2 667mhz. £45

Graphics 2x Ati x1950xt 256mb in crossfire :D  :D  £110 x2 = £220

Optical drive: LG GSA-H50LBRL 18x DVD1RW/Ram Super-Multi £23

HD: gate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM £51

Fan controller: Akasa FC-06BK Black 3.5" Fan Controller - 3x Fans with 2x USB2.0 Ports £10

Extra fan: Extra value 120mm £1

Monitor: Vusys WIDESCREEN HD20W 20\" Black Multimedia TFT 1680 x 1050 800:1 300cd/m2 8ms £112

Keyboard/Mouse: Extra Value Black Slim Office Wireless Keyboard & Rechargeable Optical Mouse £14

Printer Epson Stylus Dx4000 All-In-One 12ppm USB £50

Speakers: Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System - 32W RMS £26

Os: Vista premium £65


Total £850

- £10 pound google rebates on everyone order over £30 (will order separately and combine products that are less than £30.)

-120= £730

-250 selling old pc with monitor printer mous keyboard speakers and scanner (p4 2.8 geforce 6600 1gb ram 80gb 7200 hardrive and geniune xp home)

-250= £480

-100 for my contribution to graphics

-100= £380


total price payed by dad

£ 388 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

He cannot complain about that!!!!!

Are all the parts ok???

ty in advance

patrick

Edit:

forgot to include £150 cpu price :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  so final total actually £388 (after rebate) What i could do would be to spend less money on the cpu (as my parents only use it for basic office so i dont know if quadcore will ever be neccercery for them. Suppose i could go with an e4300 and OC (never ocd before :? ). Or i could go with a cheaper AMD as that would also cut £50 off the mobo costs then i could get an x2 5000?

More about : dad build

June 10, 2007 10:47:19 AM

Nice system dude.Keep it all just the way it is for now.I think you'll be very happy with it.Goodluck.

Dahak
June 10, 2007 10:47:40 AM

Nice system dude.Keep it all just the way it is for now.I think you'll be very happy with it.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG SATA2 HD
Related resources
June 10, 2007 10:50:42 AM

Thanks very much :)  . Cant wait for it!!! Its gonna be sooo much better than my previous one! For the firsyt time ever i will have a high end (ish) pc!! yay
June 10, 2007 11:31:07 AM

very very nice, pretty much the same as my last one, it will be good for quite some time, the only reason i upgraded was because my flat got broken into and it was stolen and was insured for $5000 USD
June 10, 2007 12:05:25 PM

thanks for compliment! so i guess i a way the best way upgrade cheaply is to ring up a burgular and ask them to steal your computer!! :wink:

My dad just turned up with a new printer/scanner today... sought of random but never mind that will cut £40 off the july 22nd bill :D 
June 10, 2007 1:12:48 PM

1st thing is the memory, you can prob find some pc2 6400 800mhz for about the same price. 2nd bigger issue I see is the 2 crossfire 1950XT's. You could get an 8800GTS for about $180 cheaper and I believe it might be as good/better than the 2 cards in crossfire + it will support DX10.

Where are you buying this stuff from? Some of those prices are kinda high.
June 10, 2007 1:16:46 PM

Quote:
1st thing is the memory, you can prob find some pc2 6400 800mhz for about the same price. 2nd bigger issue I see is the 2 crossfire 1950XT's. You could get an 8800GTS for about $180 cheaper and I believe it might be as good/better than the 2 cards in crossfire + it will support DX10.


I have to say that I agree on the graphics card front, getting two cards for crossfire is definitely not a good idea unless you play at really high resolutions . In your case I think it is an even bigger mistake when you can get a single 8800 gts 320 mb version for less and it is a much better buy in terms of price/performance and DX 10 which is not needed but still.
June 10, 2007 1:36:58 PM

Quote:
1st thing is the memory, you can prob find some pc2 6400 800mhz for about the same price. 2nd bigger issue I see is the 2 crossfire 1950XT's. You could get an 8800GTS for about $180 cheaper and I believe it might be as good/better than the 2 cards in crossfire + it will support DX10.


I have to say that I agree on the graphics card front, getting two cards for crossfire is definitely not a good idea unless you play at really high resolutions . In your case I think it is an even bigger mistake when you can get a single 8800 gts 320 mb version for less and it is a much better buy in terms of price/performance and DX 10 which is not needed but still.

I know but everyone has 8800gts cards. Its sooo boring. Also £100 for a x1950xt (which will out do a x1900xtx) which was my dream card! :)  Two in crossfire does out do a 8800gts 320 even if its only by a bit. I suppose the dx10 issue is there but by the time dx10 is a must an 8800gts will be crap.

On the other hand an 8800gts wont have such high power requirements and would mean i could get a cheaper mobo and psu! :D  So its cf x1950xt vs 8800gts (no sli upgrade as dont wanna touch inside for 3 years!) Dx10 is a bonus but wont be necercery for like 3 years.

Ill have a look at some 8800gts cards but im not sure. :?

Prices are from ebuyer which is the cheapest i can find for uk. the us is soooooooooooo cheap compared to uk :(  :( 


thanks

patrick
anyway ill check some 8800 cards.
June 10, 2007 2:22:27 PM

I just looked at some 8800gts 320's and if i went with one it would be the
Evga 8800gts 320 superclocked. £190 after rebate saving a tenner

It would also enable me to move down in price motherboard to - fatal1ty atx board by abit. quad support etc £60 after rebate

And move to a less powerful psu - Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC £57 after rebate. (would that power the quad core as well?) Cutting my total cost down to £278

Im also having slight cold feet about quad core :(  is it really gonna be required for gaming in the next 3 or more years or will a dual core be better. Maybe the E4400. Which would then mean i could go with a ABIT IP95 motherboard (£20 after rebate :D  :D  ) Cutting my total cost down to £148 :lol: 

So it really depends on A what graphics i get and b what processor? Quad core seems kinda.... well ... a bit ott :wink:
June 10, 2007 2:29:36 PM

If you're going to get an ATI card, I'd really suggest only getting 1 X1950XT... I honestly don't think 2 is worth it now, when you can get a GTS for less than two.
And second, I recommend upgrading the RAM.. I just ordered these Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1000mhz from buy.com... very good deal. Also, check if there's any coupons you can get from here: http://currentcodes.com/ I was able to get $10 off my RAM from one of the coupons on that site!

Good luck, your system looks nice! :) 
June 10, 2007 2:32:26 PM

A quad core would be more future proof if you're concerned with that. I wouldn't say it's necessary though.. Not many programs will even take advantage of all 4 cores. Maybe if you have 10+ programs running at once but as for games I don't even think there will be a noticeable difference. If you're looking to save money then just get a dual core.
June 10, 2007 2:34:01 PM

Quote:


Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX. £115

Graphics 2x Ati x1950xt 256mb in crossfire :D  :D  £110 x2 = £220

Extra fan: Extra value 120mm £1

Keyboard/Mouse: Extra Value Black Slim Office Wireless Keyboard & Rechargeable Optical Mouse £14



I'll start from the end:
take a REAL mouse - maybe a Logitech MX revolution if You plan to game.

Take QUALITY extra fans, not cheap ones.

Two x1950 in mid 2007 is lunacy and an utter waste of money. Go for 8800GTS and spend the surplus elsewhere.

Go for a P35 mobo. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2118&p...
it is more future-proof
June 10, 2007 2:57:29 PM

Quote:


Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX. £115

Graphics 2x Ati x1950xt 256mb in crossfire :D  :D  £110 x2 = £220

Extra fan: Extra value 120mm £1

Keyboard/Mouse: Extra Value Black Slim Office Wireless Keyboard & Rechargeable Optical Mouse £14





I'll start from the end:
take a REAL mouse - maybe a Logitech MX revolution if You plan to game.

Take QUALITY extra fans, not cheap ones.

Two x1950 in mid 2007 is lunacy and an utter waste of money. Go for 8800GTS and spend the surplus elsewhere.

Go for a P35 mobo. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2118&p...
it is more future-proof

For moust i have my own decent one i use at the moment so thats covered :D 
Fans. Well i thought that but the product has like 57 5* posotive reviews all saying how great it was.

I have to say im agreeing with you on the graphics front. The 8800gts seems to be better value. (evga superclocked)
June 10, 2007 3:05:14 PM

Quote:
A quad core would be more future proof if you're concerned with that. I wouldn't say it's necessary though.. Not many programs will even take advantage of all 4 cores. Maybe if you have 10+ programs running at once but as for games I don't even think there will be a noticeable difference. If you're looking to save money then just get a dual core.


Yeah i was thinking about that and i have decided that quad core is a waste of money for my parents. Multitasking with say virus scan + word or at most video watching is the most that will ever happen on it. So i have decided to go with the

Intel E4400 Socket 775 2x2.00GHz. @ £79 after rebate. Just one point on is will it limit the 8800gts at 1680 x 1050 or 1280 x 1024
June 10, 2007 3:15:09 PM

As for ram unfortuanly buy.com is us where as im in the uk.

I did find 2b corsair xms2 pc6400 for £70 after a rebate. But really, would i notice the performance increase???
June 10, 2007 3:17:40 PM

At the moment my planned build will cost my parents the grand total of £148 having sold the old one for £250 and factored in my £100 contribution.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

sooo cheap!
June 10, 2007 3:52:51 PM

Quote:


Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX. £115

Graphics 2x Ati x1950xt 256mb in crossfire :D  :D  £110 x2 = £220

Extra fan: Extra value 120mm £1

Keyboard/Mouse: Extra Value Black Slim Office Wireless Keyboard & Rechargeable Optical Mouse £14





I'll start from the end:
take a REAL mouse - maybe a Logitech MX revolution if You plan to game.

Take QUALITY extra fans, not cheap ones.

Two x1950 in mid 2007 is lunacy and an utter waste of money. Go for 8800GTS and spend the surplus elsewhere.

Go for a P35 mobo. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2118&p...
it is more future-proof


With the p35. I will not be upgrading until i buy another computer so having a p35 is sought of a big of a waste of money especially after my revised build.

Also any views on the ram??? will pc 6400 really make a noticable difference.
June 10, 2007 5:56:48 PM

If you're going to overclock (and really there's no reason not to on the dual cores -- they'll go just fine even with the stock heatsink and it's easy to do) then an E4300 @ £62 offers better bang for buck than an E4400 @ £79.

Are you sure you can re-use the '£10 off with Google Checkout' thing as many times as you want? That's pretty cool if you can (although you'd have to check the cost of shipping if you order pretty much every component seperately; it might not end up saving you anything in some cases).

As people have mentioned, definitely get an 8800GTS over two X1950s. Definitely.

Whether or not quad core is worth it depends on the price in relation to dual cores after the drop I guess. I think you'll be fine with a dual core and it's a good place to save some money.

IMO go with (all on ebuyer, assuming £10 Google rebate on each item where applicable):

Coolermaster Centurion case: £35

Corsair 520W PSU: £57

Asus P5B mobo: £54 (would prefer a Gigabyte DS3 but they don't seem to stock it)

Intel C2D E4300: £62

Corsair (2x1GB) DDR2 800: £70 (in the absence of anything better -- ebuyer's RAM selection is crap tbh)

EVGA 8800GTS 320MB: £190

NEC Optiarc 7170S DVD writer (handy because it's SATA not IDE): £20

Seagate 7200.10 320GB 16Mb cache HD: £41

Samsung SM204BW monitor: £144 (nicer and probably better value than your original selection if you can stretch to it. If not it's not the end of the world)

Total: £673 after Google rebates, not including your mouse/keyboard/other gubbins.
June 10, 2007 8:43:13 PM

Quote:
If you're going to overclock (and really there's no reason not to on the dual cores -- they'll go just fine even with the stock heatsink and it's easy to do) then an E4300 @ £62 offers better bang for buck than an E4400 @ £79.

Are you sure you can re-use the '£10 off with Google Checkout' thing as many times as you want? That's pretty cool if you can (although you'd have to check the cost of shipping if you order pretty much every component seperately; it might not end up saving you anything in some cases).

As people have mentioned, definitely get an 8800GTS over two X1950s. Definitely.

Whether or not quad core is worth it depends on the price in relation to dual cores after the drop I guess. I think you'll be fine with a dual core and it's a good place to save some money.

IMO go with (all on ebuyer, assuming £10 Google rebate on each item where applicable):

Coolermaster Centurion case: £35

Corsair 520W PSU: £57

Asus P5B mobo: £54 (would prefer a Gigabyte DS3 but they don't seem to stock it)

Intel C2D E4300: £62

Corsair (2x1GB) DDR2 800: £70 (in the absence of anything better -- ebuyer's RAM selection is crap tbh)

EVGA 8800GTS 320MB: £190

NEC Optiarc 7170S DVD writer (handy because it's SATA not IDE): £20

Seagate 7200.10 320GB 16Mb cache HD: £41

Samsung SM204BW monitor: £144 (nicer and probably better value than your original selection if you can stretch to it. If not it's not the end of the world)

Total: £673 after Google rebates, not including your mouse/keyboard/other gubbins.


well i will go with the e4400 instead but other wise that looks pretty good.
The monitor looks good but fairly expencive.

overclockers uk does 2gb of ddr2 800 for £70 (its geil branding).

What was wrong with icute case? The centurian looks fine but its just more expencive.

thanks

patrick
June 10, 2007 10:36:27 PM

Nothing necessarily wrong with the iCute case, but Coolermaster are a recognised quality brand in that field, and the fact it's over £30 means you get a £10 Google rebate. The iCute at £24 doesn't entitle you to one of those.

The Centurion will definitely be £10 better than the iCute in terms of cooling and build quality. A tenner is neither here nor there.
June 11, 2007 6:06:55 AM

Ok so heres where i am at the moment.

Case: Coolermaster Centurion £45
Psu: Corsair Hx Modular (modular is easier to make right?) £67
Mobo: Gigabyte DS3 (they do stock it :wink: ) £46.50
CPU: Core 2 duo E4400 (if it doesnt limit the 8800 :(  ) £89
Ram: 2gb geil drr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12 (from overclockers) £70
Graphics: EVGA 8800gts Superclocked £200
Hd: 2x seagate 160gb 7200.10 8mb cache drives. (one for games one for everything else) £70

Windows Vista Premium £65
Black Slim Office Wireless Keyboard & Rechargeable Optical Mouse £14
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System - 32W RMS £26
Samsung SM204BW 20" Widescreen Gaming TFT Monitor 1680 x 1050 700:1 6ms £154

Total = £817
- £117 for old pc setup (aparently i wont get more than that!)
-£100 for google rebates
-£125 for My contribution

Makes £475 for my parents to pay
And £125 for me to pay. :) 
June 11, 2007 7:07:22 AM

I dedided to change the optical drive to this:

LiteOn 20X SATA DVD±RW/RAM With Beige, Black & Silver Bezel + Nero - Retail

as its sata. :) 
June 11, 2007 9:30:56 AM

overclockers.co.uk has a better RAM selection than ebuyer for sure, though it does tend to be slightly more expensive on most things.

this is very good memory and I suppose technically you could get £10 off each stick if you bought them seperately (although you'd pay 2 x the carriage).

As for the DS3 motherboard, I still can't see it on ebuyer. Do you mean this model? That's not the one I mean -- the DS3 I was referring to is the 965P_DS3 board. It's based around the superior 965P chipset.
June 11, 2007 4:59:52 PM

No it wasnt that one. It was this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=126767

Still not what you were looking for but is it ok?
That ram looks awesome ill definately pick up 2 of those for £64!!!

As for the E4300 i dont wanna fry what ever shiny cpu i buy so if ocing is easy and safe (when done sensibly) then ill get that.

So Change CPU to E4300 £62 and OC
And change Ram 2 2x crucial Battilstix drr2 800. £64

My only point is will that mobo ^^^^ oc? I dont wanna spend more that £50 on a mobo really as im not going sli or crossfire.

thanks 4 the help

patrick :D 
June 11, 2007 5:12:31 PM

That also bring price parents paying to £400 :lol: 
While i stay on £125 :( 
June 11, 2007 7:11:45 PM

Im sought of having major cold feet about the ocing. I just read a couple of beginners guides and its all rather complicated (changing memory speeds etc) I dont wanna muck this up 4 my parents as they will be pissed.

I think ill revert to the e4400. Just one thing @ 1440x900 and 1680x1050 will it limit the gpu loads???

Thanks

Patrick

Costs now back to £425 for parents!
June 11, 2007 9:55:22 PM

Right im gonna go for an oc :)  I might need some help with it when that arrives :oops:  . Anyway im gonna go with the

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 Onboard Audio ATX £59

and the E4300 £62

Will post final build tomorow. :p 

Night all :D 
June 12, 2007 5:38:18 AM

Mainly because it was £4 more than the non sli varient and has good overclocking gredentials.
June 12, 2007 6:15:40 AM

Quote:
SLI is not a technology, it's a publicity trick.


http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Building-Rig-Long-Term-Usageftopic-239400-days0-orderasc-25.html

Your own words, so why then are you getting an Sli board? :roll:

Oh yeah just seen the link :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  . I dont need sli! And ive seen this!

XFX nForce 650i Ultra MCP Socket 775 onboard 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard for £60. Its not sli! :D  and has great reviews

In princible what i want is a board that is a good oc board having sli is not a priority but if its there i wont complain :D 

However the asus runs fairly warm apparently so the xfx looks like the way to go.

I keep contradictin myself cos my views keep changing :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: 
June 12, 2007 6:24:43 AM

The final setup (will order soon) :D 


Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x32Bit OEM 1PK DVD 123052

Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System - 32W RMS 116852

Extra Value Black Slim Office Wireless Keyboard & Rechargeable Optical Mouse

EVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB DDR3 DVI PCI-E 125117 48 overdue £169.99 £169.99

Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC 114945

Samsung SM204BW 20" Widescreen Gaming TFT Monitor 1680 x 1050 700:1 6ms DVI Height Black Adjust 3 Years Warranty 113148


Coolermaster Black Centurion 534 - No PSU 114826 14 in stock

2x Seagate 160GB 7200.10 7200RPM SATAII/300 8MB Cache - OEM 122660

LiteOn 20X SATA DVD±RW/RAM With Beige, Black & Silver Bezel + Nero - Retail 127442

2x Crucial 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400/800MHz CL4-4-4-12 Ballistix 2.2V SLI Ready 119273

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz Socket 775 FSB800 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 121407

XFX nForce 650i Ultra MCP Socket 775 onboard 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Total mum and dad pay after rebates/sell old pc and my contribution £445

total i pay £125 :D 

Thanks for everyones help!!!
June 12, 2007 8:39:18 AM

That is still an SLI board...

Just get the Asus P5B from ebuyer. P965 chipset. Other than that it all looks good.
June 12, 2007 9:20:36 AM

Looks like a good build, though i would buy a good aftermarket cpu cooler and o/c that e4300 to 3ghz.
June 12, 2007 9:32:27 AM

Well he's already said he's not comfortable with OCing so he's not going to want to push it to those extremes. But I definitely think he should OC it to something less taxing like 2.3Ghz. I'm sure if he got the Asus P5B he could find a guide that would walk him through the process on that specific BIOS. It really is very easy and at 2.3 or 2.4Ghz it's completely safe.

However he can worry about OCing anytime in the future, for now I'd say just change out that 650i motherboard in favour of an Asus P5B (about £55 on ebuyer IIRC) and you're good to go. I don't think the board is a great overclocker but since you'll either be doing minimal OCing or none at all it should do you fine.

EDIT: I'd still recommend the Gigabyte 965P-DS3R board over the Asus P5B, but since ebuyer don't sell it you'd have to get it from somewhere else like overclockers.co.uk for about £75. If you can stretch the extra £25 for the DS3R then I'd say do it, but if you absolutely have to stick around the £50 mark then go with ebuyer's Asus P5B.
June 12, 2007 10:35:53 AM

Quote:
Well he's already said he's not comfortable with OCing so he's not going to want to push it to those extremes. But I definitely think he should OC it to something less taxing like 2.3Ghz. I'm sure if he got the Asus P5B he could find a guide that would walk him through the process on that specific BIOS. It really is very easy and at 2.3 or 2.4Ghz it's completely safe.

However he can worry about OCing anytime in the future, for now I'd say just change out that 650i motherboard in favour of an Asus P5B (about £55 on ebuyer IIRC) and you're good to go. I don't think the board is a great overclocker but since you'll either be doing minimal OCing or none at all it should do you fine.

EDIT: I'd still recommend the Gigabyte 965P-DS3R board over the Asus P5B, but since ebuyer don't sell it you'd have to get it from somewhere else like overclockers.co.uk for about £75. If you can stretch the extra £25 for the DS3R then I'd say do it, but if you absolutely have to stick around the £50 mark then go with ebuyer's Asus P5B.


Just out of interest whats wrong with the xfx. the review below says it oc'd a e4320 to 3.5ghz! It actaully also only has 1 pci express x 16 slot (see link) And its pretty good value for money.

As far as Oc'ing goes. Ill go as far as i can without modifying the cpu voltage. So wheather thats 2.4ghz or 3.0ghz either will give a good boost! I might need some help with that tho in the future. :oops: 

I do quite like the xfx so i might go with that unless theres a particular reason not to. This review explains my choice :D 

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1106&pageID=3481

thanks patrick
June 12, 2007 10:39:28 AM

Quote:
Looks like a good build, though i would buy a good aftermarket cpu cooler and o/c that e4300 to 3ghz.


Is an aftermarcket cpu cooler really needed? From what ive ready a 3ghz overclock is quite achiveable with the standard cooler
June 12, 2007 11:40:48 AM

@Blackheart

you said earlier that you found ebuyer to be the cheapest.

I have built many systems for friends and family and I usually compare ebuyer, overclockers, microdirect, scan and dabs, plus a few others depending upon time and availablity.

When factoring in price, delivery costs and times, and availability I tend to order most of my parts from dabs. If I'm after a really new, high-end part then overclockers usually get my money simply because in my experience they tend to get it sooner and in quantity rather than having an 'awaiting delivery' placeholder listing.

(microdirect and scan rarely have what I want at a competitive price and microdirect's support was abysmal on the one occasion I had to use it)

A further point in dabs' favour - I have had to use their RMA service on a number of occasions and have found their whole system to be easy to use and track.

A thing to be very wary of - never believe the user comments on a shop site (no matter how many there are) as they are too often written by numpties who haven't got a clue about what is good and what is not. Only trust review sites like tom's, anandtech, hardOCP, etc. etc.

Q
June 12, 2007 11:51:43 AM

Quote:
That is still an SLI board...

Just get the Asus P5B from ebuyer. P965 chipset. Other than that it all looks good.


promice you its not :wink:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1106&pageID=3481My bad, just saw 650i and didn't bother to look further.

The XFX is probably ok, I've just seen *lots* of people round here recommending the Gigabyte P965-DS3 and some good stuff about the Asus P5B too. I doubt the XFX is going to be spectacularly bad so go for it if you think it's what you want.
June 12, 2007 12:37:02 PM

Quote:
That is still an SLI board...

Just get the Asus P5B from ebuyer. P965 chipset. Other than that it all looks good.


promice you its not :wink:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1106&pageID=3481My bad, just saw 650i and didn't bother to look further.

The XFX is probably ok, I've just seen *lots* of people round here recommending the Gigabyte P965-DS3 and some good stuff about the Asus P5B too. I doubt the XFX is going to be spectacularly bad so go for it if you think it's what you want.


This review (see below) is what tipped me. It performed really well and should be quite a lot better than 'spectacually bad' :lol:  Im going to check out the dabs prices for these parts and will check out their ds3.. if its cheaper then maybe.....

thanks for the advice

CONCLUSION
This board has a lot going for it and during my testing the board remained rock solid and offered such a great level of performance I would almost feel guilty for paying such a small price for such a great product. The board does have a couple of issues though none of them were deal breakers for me. As long as you take your time and plan ahead while assembling your rig you should have no problems with this motherboard. Overclocking was stellar, the board remained stable and gaming at 3.5 GHz was a real pleasure. This is a great board offered at a great price. Value has a new meaning.



FINAL WORDS
When the 6-series boards hit the scene they were plagued with problems left and right. It seemed as though the chipset would never reach its true potential. I am excited to say that during my time with the 650i Ultra from XFX I never encountered any problems that existed in the other versions. Additionally many people have stated that the best chipset for an Intel processor is an Intel chipset. This may have been true as recently as a year ago with the only competition coming in the form of the 5-series from Nvidia but times are changing. The 6-series brings with it rock solid performance, superior overclocking options and a multitude of configurations. This trifecta is a force to be reckoned with and during my time with this motherboard I would happily suggest this board to anyone looking for a solid foundation. XFX has a winner on their hands here and with the price this board is selling for you won't find a better value out there.

Pros:
+ Highly overclockable
+ Supports a wide range of Intel CPU's
+ Supports new 1333 MHz FSB
+ Supports large CPU heatsinks
+ Very stable
+ Excellent value

Cons:

- Internal USB headers too close to bottom PCI slot
- Naming of DIMM slots might confuse some
- No cooling on southbridge



Final score: 9 out of 10 and the Bjorn3D Golden Bear Award.
June 12, 2007 12:41:08 PM

Quote:
@Blackheart

you said earlier that you found ebuyer to be the cheapest.

I have built many systems for friends and family and I usually compare ebuyer, overclockers, microdirect, scan and dabs, plus a few others depending upon time and availablity.

When factoring in price, delivery costs and times, and availability I tend to order most of my parts from dabs. If I'm after a really new, high-end part then overclockers usually get my money simply because in my experience they tend to get it sooner and in quantity rather than having an 'awaiting delivery' placeholder listing.

(microdirect and scan rarely have what I want at a competitive price and microdirect's support was abysmal on the one occasion I had to use it)

A further point in dabs' favour - I have had to use their RMA service on a number of occasions and have found their whole system to be easy to use and track.

A thing to be very wary of - never believe the user comments on a shop site (no matter how many there are) as they are too often written by numpties who haven't got a clue about what is good and what is not. Only trust review sites like tom's, anandtech, hardOCP, etc. etc.

Q


Points taken :)  ill build the same on dabs and see if its cheaper. thanks for the info
June 12, 2007 12:54:39 PM

I just configured on dabs with both the ds3 and the xfx. Both came to:

£1025 :? :?

Which after my contribution and selling old pc comes to

£800 for parents :o 
£125 for me.

Unfortuantly its just too expencive no matter how good the support is.
June 12, 2007 1:24:39 PM

Quote:
I just configured on dabs with both the ds3 and the xfx. Both came to:

£1025 :? :?

Which after my contribution and selling old pc comes to

£800 for parents :o 
£125 for me.

Unfortuantly its just too expencive no matter how good the support is.


Yeowch - its rarely been that far different for me. Maybe I should give ebuyer a chance for my latest build

Q
June 12, 2007 1:27:33 PM

It was both that the ebuyer componants were mostly cheaper anyway but also the £10 google rebates.

I must admit though their choise of mobo was much better than ebuyer. Anyway was worth seeing
June 12, 2007 3:00:26 PM

Fair nuff :lol:  , it might be out of your price range but I'd like to suggest the Abit AB9 pro as a possibility perhaps, I've recently used one in a build with an e6600 and I thought it was a joy to work with and it OC's like a mad thing whilst being user friendly at the same time.

Also being a bit of an Sli fanboi I wonder if you know much about the history of dual graphic cards and when,how and what cards it was first done with?, you might be surprised at the answer but then again you may already know in which case it's a moot point.

Good luck with your build mate. 8)
June 12, 2007 4:16:58 PM

Quote:
Fair nuff :lol:  , it might be out of your price range but I'd like to suggest the Abit AB9 pro as a possibility perhaps, I've recently used one in a build with an e6600 and I thought it was a joy to work with and it OC's like a mad thing whilst being user friendly at the same time.

Also being a bit of an Sli fanboi I wonder if you know much about the history of dual graphic cards and when,how and what cards it was first done with?, you might be surprised at the answer but then again you may already know in which case it's a moot point.

Good luck with your build mate. 8)


Thanks. The ab9 pro looks tempting but it is a bit beyond my budget for a mobo an extra £30 is a fair amount. If it dropped in price possibly... It being user friendly is a gd point for me as im somewhat of a novice oc'er.

Well the first dual card setup was some kind of voodoo i think... im pretty sure there was something before nvidia's sli. What was it? :p 

thanks

patrick
June 12, 2007 5:54:14 PM

Oh crap you're right, my bad :oops:  a thousand apologies my friend, too many Stella's and not enough sleep!!!, and you are also correct about the Voodoo's, a PCI and AGP connected with the lead from an Orchid 3DFX acceleration card in my case using third party open source drivers and as Nvidia bought 3DFX lock,stock and barrel they got the tech by default, simplified it and gave it the masses.

Right now who was it I was try to poke?, and where can I find them? :twisted:
June 12, 2007 6:10:56 PM

Quote:
Oh crap you're right, my bad :oops:  a thousand apologies my friend, too many Stella's and not enough sleep!!!, and you are also correct about the Voodoo's, a PCI and AGP connected with the lead from an Orchid 3DFX acceleration card in my case using third party open source drivers and as Nvidia bought 3DFX lock,stock and barrel they got the tech by default, simplified it and gave it the masses.

Right now who was it I was try to poke?, and where can I find them? :twisted:


Hey dont worry its cool :D  easy mistake to make i even joined on the same day as him 8O ! Anyway i guess thats what most big companies do.....

buy up the competition and steal their ideas :evil: 
!