Sign in with
Your question

Possible to run 5.1 speakers and 5.1 headphones on same pc?

Last response: in Components
June 10, 2007 8:34:16 AM

I was wondering if it was possible to run 5.1 speakers and 5.1 headphones on the same computer? (not at the same time), I was thinking of getting 2 soundcards lol but then ppl said that u can only have one because the other one gets disabled. Thx
June 10, 2007 8:50:39 PM

With line splitters you can run 2 sets of 5.1 speakers if you want at the same time, [I've done it with no problems what so ever for those that say it can't be done it most definitely can!], the only problem would be if the 5.1 headphones were USB.

However if the headphones have the same 1/8" Stereo Jacks as most every set of 5.1 speakers have, the all you need is three Y stereo splitters male to dual female, and you're in business, they can be acquired from most all Radio Shacks.

You want the Y splitters and not the composite all in one module connector, its too big to plug in to the soundcard, only normal stereo jacks can fit side by side with the close tolerance the soundcard allows for.
June 13, 2007 1:13:23 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if it was possible to run 5.1 speakers and 5.1 headphones

headphones are Stereo
Related resources
June 13, 2007 2:07:57 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if it was possible to run 5.1 speakers and 5.1 headphones

headphones are Stereo

Damn, I guess these Zalman 5.1ch headphones I bought we're a complete waste then huh.

As Ryan said the Y splitters will work, I run my 2.1ch speakers and 5.1ch headphones at the same time with a Splitter plugged into the front speaker output so headphones and speakers can both run off it. The other plugs for the headphones are plugged into the other appropriate surround plugs normally. This means when I want to game I just turn the speakers off and put on my headphones instead of fking around with the cables. This also means I don't have to change my audio settings as when I'm not gaming I only listen to music and watch 2ch videos so it still works fine in 5.1ch mode.

The only disadvantage is that because your splitting the signal, it will be a little less loud but not to a point we're it's annoying.

Also if your running off onboard sound, which typically has all the plugs bunched together (as opposed to in a line on a sound card) your going to run into trouble as there wont be enough room for all the splitters, but If you've invested this much in speakers and headphones a good sound card is almost a no-brainer.
June 16, 2007 2:03:36 PM

Quote:
Also if your running off onboard sound, which typically has all the plugs bunched together (as opposed to in a line on a sound card) your going to run into trouble as there wont be enough room for all the splitters, but If you've invested this much in speakers and headphones a good sound card is almost a no-brainer.

As long as you go with the softer vinyl type covering on the plugs instead of the hard plastic type thats commercially available, a little careful trimming with an x-acto knife, will solve the closeness problem.

Some of the Y type splitters have a little more insulation than they really need, and trimming them down doesn't hurt them at all, it'll void any warranty, but does solve them fitting side by side.
!