bfjones

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I am unable to install my printer... I keep getting the message "remote procedure failed" I have been in contact with HP support and followed all of their instructions to get it working. But it seems to be my operating system.. I have windows xp home edition... I have the installation CD but can't figure out which part I should be trying to fix... I Used a Driver checker a while back and I think it did something to one of the drivers on my system. I would appreciate any help.. thank you..

If you aren't sure about the driver checker, uninstall it. Then uninstall anything to do with your printer. Then boot into safe mode, download and update malwarebytes, and run a full scan. If everything checks out good with the scan, then restart your PC. Then use your printer installation CD to install the printer.

bfjones

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thank you for your comeback. but cd wont install the printer. It installs the softtware with not problem. I tried to install it via add new hardware and it will not recognize the printer. When I plug in the printer windows xp tells me there is new hardware detected but it cant install the printer.. RPC server is unavailable. However I checked the RPC and it is turned on and the print spooler is turned on. I have done thorough scans. But nothing is helping.. HP webiste checks the printer when trying to install and it tells the the USB drive is only paritally installed... I have had this printer installed on this system before I used Driver Checker and it hasnt worked since I used that program.. I have since uninstalled the program.

This guy had a similar situation to yours
http://askbobrankin.com/rpc_server_unavailable.html

when I said 'use the cd to install the printer,' I was referring to the software for the printer. Poor use of language, sorry. You shouldn't even have to use the add new hardware feature. You should be able to simply connect printer, insert cd, and turn on printer. It will prompt you for software installation and you can direct it to the cd.

bfjones

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I realize that because my printer works fine on my laptop.. I have taken it to a computer shop. I havent got it back yet so I dont know if they got it fixed or not.. The problem is that the computer is not accepting the printer driver.. I will let you know what happens. thanks anyway..