LG DU-37LZ30 37" LCD TV - Should I get it? Why is it gone ..

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 29, 2005 7:31:50 PM

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting LG's 37" LCD DU-37LZ30 HDTV. It sells for about
$3499 - $3999. Any comments on the quality of its HD and NTSC tuner?

Also, about a week ago, it disappeared off of LG's web site. I called the
company and they said its problaby a web page glitch and that this model is
still in production. Seems too long. Anyone know otherwise?

Also, I don't suppose by any chance this model contains their 5th
generation HD tuner?

Thanks,
onlineZZZdog@excite.com <==remove ZZZ for correct email

More about : 37lz30 lcd

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:50:21 PM

Why would you want to pay so much money for such a small screen? For
over 3k I would want at least a 50" screen. Why not go rear projection?

IB

Rickk wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm thinking of getting LG's 37" LCD DU-37LZ30 HDTV. It sells
for about
> $3499 - $3999. Any comments on the quality of its HD and NTSC tuner?
>
> Also, about a week ago, it disappeared off of LG's web site. I
called the
> company and they said its problaby a web page glitch and that this
model is
> still in production. Seems too long. Anyone know otherwise?
>
> Also, I don't suppose by any chance this model contains their 5th
> generation HD tuner?
>
> Thanks,
> onlineZZZdog@excite.com <==remove ZZZ for correct email
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:48:34 AM

Its for a small room and I only sit 8 feet from it.
Rickk
<inkyblacks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why would you want to pay so much money for such a small screen? For
> over 3k I would want at least a 50" screen. Why not go rear projection?
>
> IB
>
> Rickk wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm thinking of getting LG's 37" LCD DU-37LZ30 HDTV. It sells
> for about
>> $3499 - $3999. Any comments on the quality of its HD and NTSC tuner?
>>
>> Also, about a week ago, it disappeared off of LG's web site. I
> called the
>> company and they said its problaby a web page glitch and that this
> model is
>> still in production. Seems too long. Anyone know otherwise?
>>
>> Also, I don't suppose by any chance this model contains their 5th
>> generation HD tuner?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> onlineZZZdog@excite.com <==remove ZZZ for correct email

January 30, 2005 4:27:42 PM

Rickk wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm thinking of getting LG's 37" LCD DU-37LZ30 HDTV. It sells for about
> $3499 - $3999. Any comments on the quality of its HD and NTSC tuner?
>
> Also, about a week ago, it disappeared off of LG's web site. I called the
> company and they said its problaby a web page glitch and that this model is
> still in production. Seems too long. Anyone know otherwise?
>
> Also, I don't suppose by any chance this model contains their 5th
> generation HD tuner?

Unless I am mistaken, this is the LG 37" LCD TV that has been
available at Best Buy for some months. If so, I would recommend you
avoid this set. It has the poorest black levels of any of the larger
(>30") LCD TVs I have seen at BB. Look at the screen when it is blank
or at the lack of detail in dark clothes or scenes. Unfortunately the
Sharp Aquos, which is a much better LCD TV, is still running around $5K
when not on sale. Are you planning to use this set strictly for TV
watching or play come computer games or surf the net?

If strictly TV watching, I would suggest you consider a good quality
37" or 42" ED plasmas which will provide a much better picture for TV
and DVD viewing. The new model Panasonic consumer ED plasma will out in
March, probably at a 15 to %20 price cut. For the price of the LG 37"
LCD TV, you could order on-line the Panasonic 42" HD commercial plasma,
the TH-42PHD7UY from a reputable dealer. The commercial model has no
tuners nor speakers, but if you get your TV signals through a cable or
satellite box and stereo/5.1 sound through your A/V receiver, it is a
viable option. See the Plasma anc LCD forum at www.avsforum.com for more
info on LCDs and plasmas than you might want to ever know if you think
this might work for you.

Alan F
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:32:33 PM

From the Parent Company of what used to be "Gold Star". Remember them??
"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Rickk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm thinking of getting LG's 37" LCD DU-37LZ30 HDTV. It sells for
>> about $3499 - $3999. Any comments on the quality of its HD and NTSC
>> tuner?
>>
>> Also, about a week ago, it disappeared off of LG's web site. I called
>> the company and they said its problaby a web page glitch and that this
>> model is still in production. Seems too long. Anyone know otherwise?
>>
>> Also, I don't suppose by any chance this model contains their 5th
>> generation HD tuner?
>
> Unless I am mistaken, this is the LG 37" LCD TV that has been available
> at Best Buy for some months. If so, I would recommend you avoid this set.
> It has the poorest black levels of any of the larger (>30") LCD TVs I
> have seen at BB. Look at the screen when it is blank or at the lack of
> detail in dark clothes or scenes. Unfortunately the Sharp Aquos, which is
> a much better LCD TV, is still running around $5K when not on sale. Are
> you planning to use this set strictly for TV watching or play come
> computer games or surf the net?
>
> If strictly TV watching, I would suggest you consider a good quality 37"
> or 42" ED plasmas which will provide a much better picture for TV and DVD
> viewing. The new model Panasonic consumer ED plasma will out in March,
> probably at a 15 to %20 price cut. For the price of the LG 37" LCD TV, you
> could order on-line the Panasonic 42" HD commercial plasma, the
> TH-42PHD7UY from a reputable dealer. The commercial model has no tuners
> nor speakers, but if you get your TV signals through a cable or satellite
> box and stereo/5.1 sound through your A/V receiver, it is a viable option.
> See the Plasma anc LCD forum at www.avsforum.com for more info on LCDs and
> plasmas than you might want to ever know if you think this might work for
> you.
>
> Alan F

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:32:34 PM

In article <gr6dneVNeq3ZtWDcRVn-tA@comcast.com>,
"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote:

> From the Parent Company of what used to be "Gold Star". Remember
> them??

Isn't that "Lucky Gold Star"?

January 30, 2005 11:56:03 PM

"Rickk" <Rickk@nowhere.com> wrote in

> Hi,
> I'm thinking of getting LG's 37" LCD DU-37LZ30 HDTV. It sells for
> about
> $3499 - $3999. Any comments on the quality of its HD and NTSC tuner?
>
> Also, about a week ago, it disappeared off of LG's web site. I
> called the
> company and they said its problaby a web page glitch and that this
> model is still in production. Seems too long. Anyone know otherwise?
>
> Also, I don't suppose by any chance this model contains their 5th
> generation HD tuner?
>
> Thanks,
> onlineZZZdog@excite.com <==remove ZZZ for correct email

You can get a Sharp 37 inch LCD refurbished for $2,799.00
90 days manufactures warranty and 3 year in house warranty for $279.00

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_...
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:56:04 PM

RobH wrote:

> You can get a Sharp 37 inch LCD refurbished for $2,799.00
> 90 days manufactures warranty and 3 year in house warranty for $279.00
>
> http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_...

I would be very careful in getting a refurb. There is a fair amount of
hit or miss with those. There was a recent post elsewhere from someone
who brought a Sharp 37" Aquos G "refurb" who had the first returned and
while Sharp was attempting to correct problems with the 2nd, the Sharp
still had major problems with picture quality and noisy fans. The
reseller, lcdtvs.com refused to issue a refund. I suspect that the
refurb may consist of getting a return, turning it on, and seeing yep
the TV turns on and all the parts are there, and repackaging it as a
refurb. First priority would be to thoroughly check the reputation of
the reseller.

Alan F
!