Full Restore

razn8er

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I want to do a full restore on my Vostro 1500 laptop. The laptop, although made from Dell, does not have the Symantec Recovery partition, but I do have the XP and Drivers CD. Except, the laptop is connected to an external monitor because the screen on the laptop is cracked. Windows XP is the only reason I can see anything on the monitor, because Windows is the only thing that recognizes multiple monitors, external monitors, etc. Is there any way to do a full restore on this laptop?

Not really a full restore, unless you want to use restore points, but you can do a fresh format/install. There's a keyboard shortcut to export the display to an external monitor (f3 or f7 usually). Use your XP cd to format and install windows fresh, install your drivers, and then adjust the settings to use the external monitor.

If there are things you don't want to lose, back them up first.

razn8er

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I don't have any restore points, and I'm pretty sure I already adressed all monitor issues. The external monitor cannot show the BIOS [FN+F8 does not work], thus I cannot boot from CD. Furthermore, the laptop screen is cracked, as in I cannot see anything on it.