Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE HELP! Install XP on Asus P6T Deluxe V2?

Last response: in Windows XP
August 6, 2009 11:37:44 AM

Hello all,

Has anyone tried to install XP on the Asus P6T Deluxe? I have Vista 64 installed in RAID 0 (set up through the onboard Intel raid utility) which works just fine. However, I have a third hard drive that i want to install XP on. I have tried adding the "iastor" driver file from ASUS to the install using nlite, but that did not work. Does anyone know which drivers i need to get this to run? I have searched for a while now, and cannot seem to come up with an answer.

Help is greatly appreciated!!!
August 6, 2009 12:33:25 PM

so is it the XP install or t he 3rd HDD in Vista that you want a answer to
m
l
August 6, 2009 12:41:03 PM

number13 said:
so is it the XP install or t he 3rd HDD in Vista that you want a answer to

Both? Haha. I'm actually more interested in installing XP on the 3rd drive right now, but if I wanted to change that in the future and just use it as a data drive in vista, how would I do that?

Sorry for making your work twice as hard!
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2009 5:08:54 PM

if the computer has Vista then the dual boot is not going to happen, XP first then Vista is OK, as for a 3 drive raid, on a MB, I'm not sure that will happen, in a NAS box no problem
m
l
August 6, 2009 7:31:01 PM

Does your MB have the option to boot from different HDDs?
It shows up about the same time as hit del to enter setup.
I forget which F* key is used but if you have that feature you may know.
Im pretty sure the P6 does (without looking)
If you do, the easiest way would be to unplug the raid array and let the 3rd drive be the only active one and install XP.
Then at boot time you can select which Op Sys you want.

If you dont have that option then post back and we can go about showing how to fix the boot loader.

BTW: Keeping the 2 in a seperate boot option is the prefered option with a raid setup. You dont want to mess that up.
m
l
August 6, 2009 9:53:57 PM

pat mcgroin said:
Does your MB have the option to boot from different HDDs?
It shows up about the same time as hit del to enter setup.
I forget which F* key is used but if you have that feature you may know.
Im pretty sure the P6 does (without looking)
If you do, the easiest way would be to unplug the raid array and let the 3rd drive be the only active one and install XP.
Then at boot time you can select which Op Sys you want.

If you dont have that option then post back and we can go about showing how to fix the boot loader.

BTW: Keeping the 2 in a seperate boot option is the prefered option with a raid setup. You dont want to mess that up.

I put changed some settings in nlite and added the raid driver again, and this time XP did detect the SATA disk. It is being formatted as I am typing this... hopefully that was the only driver I needed...
m
l
August 7, 2009 10:58:05 AM

UPDATE: Interesting thing - Windows XP installed successfully and I did not have any problems running it. HOWEVER, when I tried to change my boot device priority back to the RAID 0 array that has Vista 64, it kept booting XP. I am 1000% positive that I formatted my third disk that is not appart of the array and put XP on it. When I changed the boot priority to the third disk that I thought had XP, it did not boot and skipped to the second boot device (which happens to be the CD drive). Does anyone have an explanation for this, or do you think that I somehow just overwrote vista?
m
l
August 7, 2009 12:10:07 PM

XP has overwritten the Vista bootloader.

I'm not sure how the repair will work with a RAID array, but if you're game there's a link below to show you how to repair the Vista bootloader with the Vista install disk (I've used the method myself a few times).

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already...

n.b. There are 4 pages of instructions, you may need to start from the second or third. The process is the same for different drives as opposed to partitions, but I'm not sure with the RAID setup.

If you have an imaging utility such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost create a backup image first.
m
l
August 10, 2009 11:09:44 AM

To those interested, the steps for dual booting above DID work with the raid setup. Thank you btk1w1!
m
l
!