Good overclock for 7800GT?

abstractcore

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Hello, my first post here btw.
I have a PNY 7800GT 256mb with stock cooling that I am overclocking right now (rest of my specs @ sig). I have it at 428/1118 MHz right now. I've run 3Dmark 06 for more than an hour now and I haven't found any artifacts. However I do notice the temperature going a bit high( although I don't really know how much is high for this card ), to 75c on full load, and 52c @ idle.
So with that, I'd like to ask both, if the load temperature is too high and if it is a good overclock for my card @ stock cooling?
**Also do note that it is summer here right now so my room temperature is also a bit high.

Hello, my first post here btw.
I have a PNY 7800GT 256mb with stock cooling that I am overclocking right now (rest of my specs @ sig). I have it at 428/1118 MHz right now. I've run 3Dmark 06 for more than an hour now and I haven't found any artifacts. However I do notice the temperature going a bit high( although I don't really know how much is high for this card ), to 75c on full load, and 52c @ idle.
So with that, I'd like to ask both, if the load temperature is too high and if it is a good overclock for my card @ stock cooling?
**Also do note that it is summer here right now so my room temperature is also a bit high.

I have 2 MSI 7800 GTX in SLI permanently OCd [flashed] to 450/1300 idle 41c load 50c, running the stock heatsinks modified and tweaked for proper fit which took about 2hrs worth of time each to get right.

75c is way higher than I'd be satisfied with, but thats just me, solutions modify and tweak your stock cooler, for perfect or as near perfect contact on the GPU and RAM, and make sure your case airflow is above average, with cooling airflow over the video card or cards.

abstractcore

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
You think it would be a good idea to increase the fan speed in rivatuner to help with the cooling? If so what is a safe speed? It is currently at 50% in performance 3D mode. I do not plan on getting extra cooling because it would be worthless now since I'll probably upgrade my graphics card in a few months.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I don't know about the 7800's, but on the Ati 1800's and 1900's upping the fan speed makes a significant difference in cooling. Probably won't hurt to try it. :wink:

abstractcore

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Long time since I posted back but, wooot, I just bought two case fans, since my case didn't have any and it helped a LOT!
My idel temp is 45c and the hottest it gets is 75c (whats the very extreme with like atitool artifact test running along with some other stuff), but it tusually never goes over 72c. Previously I'd see temperatures nearing 80c.
So now I've got my overclock @ 463/1140 on my 7800GT.