Sign in with
Your question

Performance on E6600 w/2Gb RAM - Help Please!?!?!?!

Last response: in CPUs
June 10, 2007 5:55:37 PM

I have what I thought was a pretty good performing system until I did a little benchmarking and it seems my system is about 30% slower than comparable systems with the same processor/memory configuration. My systme spec's according to CPU-Z.

Runnong on a Gigabyte DS3 i965 motherboard

Processor
Core 2 E6600 @ 2.40Ghz
Core Speed: 2400.1Mhz
Multiplier: x 9.0
Bus Speed: 266.7 Mhz
Rated FSB 1066.6Mhz

Memory (Channels# Dual)
2 - 1Gb Sticks = 2Gb Memory
Corsair PC2-6400 (400Mhz) XM2X1024-6400
Frequency: 400.0Mhz
FSBRAM: 2:3
CAS# Latency: 5.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 5 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 18 clocks
(the rest is greyed)

Obviously I don't overclock my system and the systems I'm comparing too aren't overclocking either. The drive subsystem is not a problem. The performance issues are solely somehwere between CPU and Memory. It seems the issues are CPU/Memory related. The SPD of the memory in CPU reports the above matched settings too.

Any ideas as to what my problem might be? I really appreciate anybodys help..

Thanks!!

Jon
June 10, 2007 7:42:09 PM

What *exactly* are you referring to? What benchmarks are you seeing differences on? What are those differences? What are the *complete* setups of the two systems (yours and theirs) that the benchmarks were run on to get those numbers?
June 10, 2007 10:56:32 PM

I do video editing work and I'm comparing my results rendering a file to many other users in a forum who are posting their timed results. They are able to render the same particular file in about 240 - 260 seconds, while my machine is taking in the 300 second range. There are about 20 or so people who are all getting pretty similiar results with a similiar configuration and I'm the only guy getting the slow times.

I was wondering if perhaps my memory timings weren't correct or maybe the default multiplier wasn't right, etc.
Related resources
June 10, 2007 11:55:08 PM

It all looks correct, and ram timings wouldn't effect performance that much. .. I don't know what to tell you . you don't have any power saving things on that could be throttling it right. could be malware too or some big ass program like a virus scan running in the background .. for some reason that was pretty lame mans terms im sure you already checked for all of this.
June 11, 2007 1:41:45 AM

MrQuinn,

Thanks for the reply. I was about 90% sure that everything I had going was looking alright. Of course, like you said, I've checked out those things. I'm not even running Virus software on this thing. Just needed to make sure I wasn't nuts and that everything I had running was in fact ok.

Thanks so much!

Jon
June 11, 2007 2:09:19 AM

Quote:
MrQuinn,

Thanks for the reply. I was about 90% sure that everything I had going was looking alright. Of course, like you said, I've checked out those things. I'm not even running Virus software on this thing. Just needed to make sure I wasn't nuts and that everything I had running was in fact ok.

Thanks so much!

Jon

Maybe you can tell me how to do the test and I can tell you the results, since I have your setup (except for OCZ 5400).
June 11, 2007 5:43:07 AM

minty,

Are you running Sony Vegas 7.0e ? The test compresses a .veg file within that program?
June 11, 2007 6:09:19 AM

Quote:
minty,

Are you running Sony Vegas 7.0e ? The test compresses a .veg file within that program?

Yeah, I use vegas as well.
Tell me what I have to do :) 
!