DVI port on Comcast 3250HD to HDMI on LCD?

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 30, 2005 1:34:39 AM

Ok guys, I just recently bought an LCD TV and decided to get my HD box
from Comcast. It's an Explorer 3250HD that they gave me and I connected
a DVI to HDMI cable from the box to my LCD.

Now...I'm getting a beautiful picture on my LCD TV, but I'm not hearing
any sound. I did notice that there is a digital audio out above the DVI
port on the cable box, so is this where I put the cable to get the
sound, and if so, what cable do I use and where do I put this into?

thanks in advance,
-Naz
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:46:49 AM

Naz Reyes wrote:
> Ok guys, I just recently bought an LCD TV and decided to get my HD box
> from Comcast. It's an Explorer 3250HD that they gave me and I connected
> a DVI to HDMI cable from the box to my LCD.
>
> Now...I'm getting a beautiful picture on my LCD TV, but I'm not hearing
> any sound. I did notice that there is a digital audio out above the DVI
> port on the cable box, so is this where I put the cable to get the
> sound, and if so, what cable do I use and where do I put this into?
>
> thanks in advance,
> -Naz
Do you have a digital sound input on your TV? If so is it optical or coax?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 7:05:04 AM

Naz Reyes wrote:
> Ok guys, I just recently bought an LCD TV and decided to get my HD box
> from Comcast. It's an Explorer 3250HD that they gave me and I connected
> a DVI to HDMI cable from the box to my LCD.
>
> Now...I'm getting a beautiful picture on my LCD TV, but I'm not hearing
> any sound. I did notice that there is a digital audio out above the DVI
> port on the cable box, so is this where I put the cable to get the
> sound, and if so, what cable do I use and where do I put this into?
>
> thanks in advance,
> -Naz

Yep, you need an optical digital cable to get the audio from the digital
output port. DVI is video only, no audio.

Presuming that your LCD has speakers and a digital optical input, or you
have an A/V receiver with same (better), that's where the other end of
the cable goes.

HDMI is basically DVI with an audio line added, however, the 3250 does
not have an HDMI output.

So, get thyself a digital optical audio cable.

That is what I am doing on my 3250 to my Samsung DLP.

Your other alternative is to connect the standard audio output jacks on
the 3250 to your LCD or receiver, but you get lesser quality audio.

HTH,

Marc
Related resources
January 30, 2005 11:49:54 AM

"Marc Schwartz" <MSchwartz@mn.rr.com> wrote in

> So, get thyself a digital optical audio cable.

They've got good cheap ones at Radio Shack..not the "gold" ones..look
around.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:16:33 PM

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Naz Reyes wrote:
>
>> Ok guys, I just recently bought an LCD TV and decided to get my HD box
>> from Comcast. It's an Explorer 3250HD that they gave me and I
>> connected a DVI to HDMI cable from the box to my LCD.
>>
>> Now...I'm getting a beautiful picture on my LCD TV, but I'm not
>> hearing any sound. I did notice that there is a digital audio out
>> above the DVI port on the cable box, so is this where I put the cable
>> to get the sound, and if so, what cable do I use and where do I put
>> this into?
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>> -Naz
>

> Yep, you need an optical digital cable to get the audio from the digital
> output port. DVI is video only, no audio.
>
> Presuming that your LCD has speakers and a digital optical input, or you
> have an A/V receiver with same (better), that's where the other end of
> the cable goes.

Ahhh...unfortunately, the TV doesn't have a digital optical input, and
my receiver doesn't have one, either. Fortunately, though, my receiver
is already about 7 years old and needs to be replaced, so after reading
your post, I went ahead and bought a new one today (A Sony Dolby Digital
6.1) with 2 digital inputs and connected the digital audio out to the
digital in with a toslink optical cable. It worked! :-)

> HDMI is basically DVI with an audio line added, however, the 3250 does
> not have an HDMI output.
>
> So, get thyself a digital optical audio cable.

Thank you. That's exactly what I did.

> That is what I am doing on my 3250 to my Samsung DLP.
>
> Your other alternative is to connect the standard audio output jacks on
> the 3250 to your LCD or receiver, but you get lesser quality audio.

Oh no, after hearing and seeing this all digital connection, it's now
very hard to downgrade my tastes. This is some awesome stuff!!! I also
just found out that my DVD player has an optical out, so I think I'll
connect it this way, also :)

thanks for the advice!
-Naz

> HTH,
>
> Marc
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:26:56 PM

Naz Reyes wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Naz Reyes wrote:
>>
>>> Ok guys, I just recently bought an LCD TV and decided to get my HD
>>> box from Comcast. It's an Explorer 3250HD that they gave me and I
>>> connected a DVI to HDMI cable from the box to my LCD.
>>>
>>> Now...I'm getting a beautiful picture on my LCD TV, but I'm not
>>> hearing any sound. I did notice that there is a digital audio out
>>> above the DVI port on the cable box, so is this where I put the cable
>>> to get the sound, and if so, what cable do I use and where do I put
>>> this into?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance,
>>> -Naz
>>

>> Yep, you need an optical digital cable to get the audio from the
>> digital output port. DVI is video only, no audio.
>>
>> Presuming that your LCD has speakers and a digital optical input, or
>> you have an A/V receiver with same (better), that's where the other
>> end of the cable goes.
>

> Ahhh...unfortunately, the TV doesn't have a digital optical input, and
> my receiver doesn't have one, either. Fortunately, though, my receiver
> is already about 7 years old and needs to be replaced, so after reading
> your post, I went ahead and bought a new one today (A Sony Dolby Digital
> 6.1) with 2 digital inputs and connected the digital audio out to the
> digital in with a toslink optical cable. It worked! :-)

I wonder if I can get a commission from Sony... ;-)

>> HDMI is basically DVI with an audio line added, however, the 3250 does
>> not have an HDMI output.
>>
>> So, get thyself a digital optical audio cable.
>

> Thank you. That's exactly what I did.
>

>> That is what I am doing on my 3250 to my Samsung DLP.
>>
>> Your other alternative is to connect the standard audio output jacks
>> on the 3250 to your LCD or receiver, but you get lesser quality audio.
>

> Oh no, after hearing and seeing this all digital connection, it's now
> very hard to downgrade my tastes. This is some awesome stuff!!! I also
> just found out that my DVD player has an optical out, so I think I'll
> connect it this way, also :)

The only difference between the men and the boys.... :-)

> thanks for the advice!
> -Naz

Happy to help.

Marc