Sign in with
Your question
Closed

USB Keyboard Not Allowing Number Keys To Function

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2011 5:39:36 AM

keyboard keys 1, 2, 3,...0 & shift to get characters above them display wrong characters - the ALL display the same, & it's always the last other key typed...Dell inspiron 530 core 2 quad 6600. what caused this: had vista 32 bit home premium, upgraded to 7 home premium. it takes ONLY usb keyboards - tried 2 diff ones that work perfectly on my 2 other desktops. what's even more weird, go into ease of access center & put onscreen keyboard up, IT WORKS FINE! in addition, i accessed it through team viewer from my laptop, TYPES THE #'s FINE! i'm very knowledgeable with PC's as i refurb for resale - tried re-installing drivers, triple checked language & regional settings...it's pretty obviously not a hardware prob, someone must know the prob here, PLEASE HELP!!
August 11, 2011 6:26:35 PM

I have always had problems with usb keyboards having malfunctioning keys. I went back to ps/2 keyboards and haven't had a problem.
Score
Related resources
August 18, 2011 7:46:00 AM

flipt said:
Maybe start here. From microsoft site, your issue is noted in there at the bottom.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826

it seems as though no one is understanding my problem...already been to that website, there's nothing wrong with the keyboards, & there's nothing wrong with the keyboard mapping...i even went so far as to install a program to change key functions, but when i run the program, it shows all the keys in question sending the proper characters. it apparently has something to do with the upgrade to win 7. I had made a clone of vista before the upgrade...have since cloned back to vista & it works fine again...go figure. this is a quite pricey quad core PC & high quality(microsoft) keyboards, THEY ARE NOT THE ISSUE!!!

someone else said "go back to ps/2 keyboards...WELL, DELL stopped putting ps/2 outlets on their towers a few years ago, mainly because the USB are considered superior, & have no little pins to worry about bending on the plug.

my other desktop has a core 2 quad also, the q9550 instead of the q6600 it runs win 7 WITH THE SAME KEYBOARDS quite nicely.(although it was not an upgrade) I really can't think of any other pertinent info

there surely must be someone out there who can help me - i hate vista! please brainstorm & try to help - I know there are a lot of IT professionals that read these forums.......
Score

Best solution

August 22, 2011 6:31:23 PM

The problem was Comcast Constant Guard. When I uninstalled that, the number keys started working normally again.
August 25, 2011 11:05:46 PM

thanks for the response - actually, i have comcast & constant guard also. had made a clone of vista before the win 7 upgrade, have cloned back to vista & is working again, but i HATE vista. i'll upgrade again & try your answer - thanks
Score
August 28, 2011 12:09:58 AM

angleofphase said:
keyboard keys 1, 2, 3,...0 & shift to get characters above them display wrong characters - the ALL display the same, & it's always the last other key typed...Dell inspiron 530 core 2 quad 6600. what caused this: had vista 32 bit home premium, upgraded to 7 home premium. it takes ONLY usb keyboards - tried 2 diff ones that work perfectly on my 2 other desktops. what's even more weird, go into ease of access center & put onscreen keyboard up, IT WORKS FINE! in addition, i accessed it through team viewer from my laptop, TYPES THE #'s FINE! i'm very knowledgeable with PC's as i refurb for resale - tried re-installing drivers, triple checked language & regional settings...it's pretty obviously not a hardware prob, someone must know the prob here, PLEASE HELP!!

I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit version from windows vista home premium 64 bit version too. The same problem you have popped up for me immediately. I even tried four different keyboards and all had this same irritating problem. I asked my question on a few forums and spoke to a microsoft engineer too about it. They didn't offer much help except to say that the problem had not appeared in their database before. Then, I was told to contact HP technical support. Later on Friday afternoon I talked to a Best Buy Geek. He told me to do a clean install of Windows 7. I am resisting that option. Today, I saw your post. I realized that I had installed Comcast Constant Guard in May, 2011. Well, I uninstalled it. My number key row (1 through 0 started to work immediately. I realized too that the Norton protection related programs antivirus, backup, etc. are all still on my HP a6667c Desktop and still updating. So, my bet is that you can simply uninstall the Constant Guard (CG icon) part of what we get for no extra fee from Comcast and then reinstall Windows 7. I wanted to keep windows 7 like you because it seems to speed up my programs a great deal over Vista. I knew that this had something to do with being online because word and wordpad worked just fine, but your question finally pulled the pieces together for me. Now I need to call Comcast and notify them of the issue. A lot of other folks may have it. Hope this helps you rest easy.
Score
September 4, 2011 9:31:00 AM

Best answer selected by angleofphase.
Score
September 4, 2011 9:32:32 AM

uninstalling constant guard before upgrading did the trick - thanks a million!
Score
September 4, 2011 9:35:39 AM

probably would work before or after the upgrade, actually...
Score
October 6, 2011 5:05:17 AM

Just wanted to add my thanks for posting this solution. I'm working on a friends Dell laptop that had the same problem. She upgraded from Vista to Win 7 and her number keys stopped working in IE. They worked everywhere else (excel, word, notepad, etc..). I tried installing Firefox to see if it was only IE that had the issue and found the number keys didn't work in Firefox either. She is a Comcast customer and when I checked, Constant Guard was installed. I uninstalled and now the keys work in IE and Firefox. I never would have figured this out without your help!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 7:25:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!