Sign in with
Your question

Cloning an old IDE HD to SATA, need help, URGENT

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2007 7:03:14 PM

Hi, I just got a 320GB hd, and tried cloning all my data from an old IDE hd using Acronis True Image, but it did not work when I plugg the new sata hd and set it up in bios and wait for a boot it states tomething about wrong paths, and later on something about ARC for HALL ( i have no idea what that is)

Im in a bit of a rush , sine I have to have the system running as soon as possible.

Could someone please help me , what should be the exact step by step way to make a clone of my old hd so i could use the new one with the same data (maby i screwed up somewhere), after the required reboot(the second one after the cloning) do i need to have to have the new hd connected, or can i unplugg it?

Thank You for all information.
June 10, 2007 10:29:14 PM

I get this error:
"ARC Firmware boot confirmation problem: Did not propery generate ARC name for HAL and system paths."

what does this mean?

so far i know that acronis's clone hd is not bootable at all, so basically its worthless. :( 

any ideas whats wrong?
June 15, 2007 1:39:29 AM

ok so far i know that the sata drivers arent there in the hd, and thats the issue for my problem, does anyone know how can i succesfully clone a IDE drive to a SATA one using Acronis?

Just spent almost 12 hours trying out different methods and nothing worked so far, is this maby a Wester Digital HD issue?

Does anyone know?

Any suggestions will be much apprecieated
Thank You
Related resources
June 15, 2007 2:59:41 AM

many newer BIOSes allow you to set the mode on your SATA ports.

Settings that look like "legacy" and "AHCI" are common - in your case, you will want to make sure that you are using the "legacy/emulation/etc." mode.

This setting makes your SATA ports look like IDE ports to the computer.

All of this, however, is assuming that the SATA ports are NOT part of a secondary controller on the motherboard (i.e. not on the Southbridge)... such as a Silicon Image controller.

If that's the case, then the BOOT.INI paths could be affected, like a preceeding multi(x) instead of hd(x). HD(x) generally refers to native interface device, while Multi(x) can refer to AHCI/RAID/SCSI interfaces, or just other native interfaces not on the first system bus.

Something you might want to try is:
1. load any additional drivers you might need on your IDE install
2. DELETE the hard drive interfaces from the Windows Device Manager on your IDE HD
3. clone it that way
4. boot up on the cloned drive

Believe it or not, I've had pretty good success with this.

let me know if you need any clarification.
June 15, 2007 3:48:09 AM

Thank You for the fast reply, iv been trying playing ewith teh settings all day long today the bios has that "AHCI" that You mentioned(I have no idea what it is), the "set sata as IDE" option and a RAID option i had it all teh time set to "set as IDE" since i always had 2 IDE hd's , and now im trying to use only one SATA drive(the one Im trying to clone)

I think I have only one hd interface that You mentioned

this is the image of the device manager:
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newbitmapimage...
this is the original hd that im trying to clone (a Maxtor 200GB hd) im trying to clone it to a Western digital SATA 320GB HD
June 15, 2007 3:56:01 AM

AHCI is pretty cool, in that it would prevent the exact problem you are having now from EVER occurring again, regardless of the motherboard or interface you're using.

AHCI, though, only helps if you START your build that way... it's not easy to migrate that way.

If you aren't having any luck with the "SATA as IDE" option, you may wish to try the method I outlined in the earlier post.
June 15, 2007 2:22:41 PM

Hi, I found some Wester Digital SATA drivers on their site but there is no installer for them, so i guess i might have to install it using that add new hardware option.
What do You mean by "DELETE the hard drive interfaces from the Windows Device Manager on your IDE HD
"
do You mean use the uninstall option and uninstall the MAXTOR6Y200P0 that is visible under the disk drives? (wouldnt that make my hd unusable?)

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newbitmapimage...

btw what should the jumper be set on on the hd? the hd that i got came without any jumpers(OEM from newegg) but when i checked the online manual it said it should be placed on pins 1, and 2. so should i leave it jumper free, or place a jumper on those pins? ...or it does not matter with sata, since im using only 1 sata hd? (I know that in IDE it nmatered, the slave, master, and cable select were designated by the pins)

Never had anything to do with SATA hard drives, so please forgive me for some "dumb" questions ;) 
a b G Storage
June 15, 2007 3:05:38 PM

Quote:
Hi, I just got a 320GB hd, and tried cloning all my data from an old IDE hd using Acronis True Image, but it did not work when I plugg the new sata hd and set it up in bios and wait for a boot it states tomething about wrong paths, and later on something about ARC for HALL ( i have no idea what that is)

Im in a bit of a rush , sine I have to have the system running as soon as possible.

Could someone please help me , what should be the exact step by step way to make a clone of my old hd so i could use the new one with the same data (maby i screwed up somewhere), after the required reboot(the second one after the cloning) do i need to have to have the new hd connected, or can i unplugg it?

Boot using the XP CD and go into the recovery console.
Type: Fixboot
That will repair the boot.ini to point to the correct location of the Windows folder. This helps if you are moving your drive around, cloning it, or if it gets shifted to another controller.
June 15, 2007 3:40:11 PM

Quote:

Boot using the XP CD and go into the recovery console.
Type: Fixboot
That will repair the boot.ini to point to the correct location of the Windows folder. This helps if you are moving your drive around, cloning it, or if it gets shifted to another controller.

I will try that, since i just have tried installing the Western Digital SATA drivers, and it failed, since the pc is using the Jmicron Raid controller only,
so hopefully this will work out, if not ill just come back and recreate the clone ...again (I guess itll be my 7th or 8th time now :( )
June 15, 2007 4:26:22 PM

Ok , I tried the fixboot command and it did not help I still get that "could not read from the selected boot disc. Check boot path and disc hardware" message

Maby installing the WD SATA drivers would help, but I have no way of installing them, how do I do it, i used the add new hardware, but that didnt work, it said everything is fine, and there are no new drivers needed.

okie would You mind elaborating on the step #2 of You'r previous post?, How should I go with doing so?
June 16, 2007 3:05:36 PM

how can I load new drivers for sata, maby teh ones that came with my motherboard are not working correctly.....anyone?
Thank You
June 17, 2007 6:41:18 AM

This is the problem of not having the right tool for the job and has nothing to do with the fact of your HDD being of the brand WD. Try getting your hands on a pair of ghost boot disks or recovery CD. The older the better the cloning process, I personally suggest going for a set of Ghost 8 floppy disks that can boot your computer and do the trick within seconds. It is so power full that even takes care of any partitioning that you may have done on the old computer and makes the same on the new ones and also gives you the option of changing the sizes and number of partitions.

A word of caution though if you make mistakes and can not work with its simple GUI your can cause more damage than good. :D 
June 17, 2007 3:47:53 PM

Thx for the advice, I was actually planing on getting the full version of Acronis True Image tommorow, since I think its all an issue of partition naming (incorrect letters) btw can Ghost 8 rename partition letters?
If Yes I would try to get that instead, btw what is teh difference betwean new and old Ghost? I heard that Norton bought out some company that was involved in the development of a simmilar product, is that related?

Thank You
June 18, 2007 12:40:39 PM

You could try several partitioning software(s) using Hiren BootCD (latest that I know is ver 9.1). Acronis True Image (I use Homer version) is great too...
June 18, 2007 9:08:54 PM

thx wil check it out, actually I just bought Acronis true Image today, didnt even have a chance to take it tout of the box, hopefully it was a worth buying program.

btw is Hiren Boot cd free?

Thank You
!