Celeron or pentium 4

nestleomega

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
How does a Intel Celeron D 1.8ghz compare to
Intel Pentium 4ghz Northwood(quite old one) ?
My P4 1.8 has been serving me well since 2003.
Is an upgrade to this Celeron 1.8 is good since
someone is offering me a cheap price for it?
Or is it better to spend it on upgrade of current 768MB ram?

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
a 4ghz northwood would completely destroy the celeron, I'm not sure I completely understand the question though I think you may be mixed up on the numbers.

Also as the other poster said if you can get a core2 duo definitely do so. You can get an E4300 and an asrock board (dual vsta) that supports both ddr and ddr2, as well as agp and pci-e, for under $180 for both, and that would walk all over either of the processors you mention.

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Why do you need a better processor at all? You won't even notice the change between processors if you're just surfing the net.

I mean, I could surf the net on a Pentium 3 if I wanted to.

Ah! Perhaps you just want the added horsepower of a new processor, which is is of course fine. Two cores as opposed to one will offer you some multitasking headroom

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Also, what are you getting this Celeron for? I am looking at some sites and Celerons clocked that low might go for as much as 20$. Are you sure you're getting a good deal?

The Celeron WOULD be a slight upgrade from your current configuration.

phase_22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
How does a Intel Celeron D 1.8ghz compare to
Intel Pentium 4ghz Northwood(quite old one) ?
My P4 1.8 has been serving me well since 2003.
Is an upgrade to this Celeron 1.8 is good since
someone is offering me a cheap price for it?
Or is it better to spend it on upgrade of current 768MB ram?
If your MoBo socket is LGA 775, I would look into the Celeron D Cedar Mill's with 512 KB L2 cache.
I dont play PC games but just surt the NEt.

*I think you'll be fine with 768 MB of RAM, I got by with 386 MB RAM for a few years :p (Monitor task manager to see if you really need more RAM).*

*Unless you are using Vista.* 8O