rotchcrocket04

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I posted over on the AMD forums and they provided absolutely no help. I've received help from here a few years ago and stumbled across the site while trying to fix my problems.

I built this computer about a week ago and have been continuing to run into CPU heat issues.

I'm using an ASUS M2N4-SLI board, 2GB of Corsair RAM with an AMD 5600+ and an NVIDIA EN7900GS. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 250GB HDD and to monitor my temps and voltage, I've been using PC Probe II provided from ASUS's site (the latest update they have released).

Initially, using the stock HSF provided from AMD I was receiving temperatures around 50-55C idle and under heavy load 67-71C! So I picked up a Zalman 7900 Heatsink and Fan. I did use Arctic Silver 5 on the install of the Zalman. This lowered my overall temps quite a bit, but I'm wondering, is this still running too hot? It's now averaging 42-46C idle/50-55C under load... although sometimes upon idle it will spike to approx 48C?!

I'm new to Dual Cores and I've seen so many different "recommendations" that I don't really know what to think here. Is this an average operating temperature?? I really don't think air flow is the problem, it's quite open for a mid-tower. I would be happy to post pics/more information if necessary.

Thanks for your time and help guys!

EDIT: Forgot to add, PC Probe is recording an average of 33-34C motherboard temp. While I'm at it, here are two pics of the computer...

EDIT x2: I forgot that I didn't have the air conditioner on in my room. Regardless, I turned it on and idle temp is holding steady at 40-42C.

img0464ss9.jpg

img0467tr4.jpg

Your temps are normal. Only other option might be a front fan for more airflow. But I doubt it will drop the cpu temp; but maybe the board temps. I have a 120mm fan in the front and back of my antec case. I also use the a/c during the hottest part of the day.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
That thing should idle around 30°C and have load temps of at most 55°C with the cooler you have. Check if the voltages are a bit high, also your case, does not seem to have an intake fan; you really need one, especially if the case itself has few holes for passive intake.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I agree with o1die, those temps are not outrageous. I am currently playing around with a AM2 5200+ (has 2x1MB L2) overclocked to 2.8GHz, which makes it equivalent to what you are running right now. I have the Zalman 9500 copper cooler installed with Arctic Silver Ceramique and a custom Lexan mounting bracket, tightened down very hard. I've installed coolers many times now and I can confidently say it is seated properly. You should note that I have Cool&Quiet disabled, but I am in an air conditioned room in the low 60s (°F). Both of these details will affect temps.

My idle CPU temp is 34°C, while my 50% load (single core running Folding@Home) temp is 45°C. When I ran 3DMark06, my peak temp was 55°C.

Don't take these temps as being absolute proper temps though, because it will vary from person to person (human error) and from chip to chip (design tolerance). Your temperatures are not at an unsafe level, so you do not need to be worried about this. Just check every now and then to make sure they haven't increased. If you are still concerned, it wouldn't hurt to reseat the heatsink while carefully following the instructions PDF put out by Arctic Silver. You also can do what m25 said and improve airflow through your case.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I posted over on the AMD forums and they provided absolutely no help. I've received help from here a few years ago and stumbled across the site while trying to fix my problems.

I built this computer about a week ago and have been continuing to run into CPU heat issues.

I'm using an ASUS M2N4-SLI board, 2GB of Corsair RAM with an AMD 5600+ and an NVIDIA EN7900GS. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 250GB HDD and to monitor my temps and voltage, I've been using PC Probe II provided from ASUS's site (the latest update they have released).

Initially, using the stock HSF provided from AMD I was receiving temperatures around 50-55C idle and under heavy load 67-71C! So I picked up a Zalman 7900 Heatsink and Fan. I did use Arctic Silver 5 on the install of the Zalman. This lowered my overall temps quite a bit, but I'm wondering, is this still running too hot? It's now averaging 42-46C idle/50-55C under load... although sometimes upon idle it will spike to approx 48C?!

I'm new to Dual Cores and I've seen so many different "recommendations" that I don't really know what to think here. Is this an average operating temperature?? I really don't think air flow is the problem, it's quite open for a mid-tower. I would be happy to post pics/more information if necessary.

Thanks for your time and help guys!

EDIT: Forgot to add, PC Probe is recording an average of 33-34C motherboard temp. While I'm at it, here are two pics of the computer...

EDIT x2: I forgot that I didn't have the air conditioner on in my room. Regardless, I turned it on and idle temp is holding steady at 40-42C.

img0464ss9.jpg

img0467tr4.jpg

See that fan guard on your cases exit fan?
Remove it and be amazed at how cool your system becomes.

Right now most of your heat is being removed by your PSU and that is not good for it.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I use a Coolermaster TO-1 case with exit grill removed,Thermalright SI-120 cooler and an Optron 146 (2Ghz stock) OC to 2.95Ghz on stock volts and Silverstone FM-121 fans (1 case and 1 on CPU).

At idle I am 2C over room and after an hour of Orthos 13C over room temps.

rotchcrocket04

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Hey guys!

I completely forgot about this thread I created after I got my problem fixed. But I did want to come back and peruse through the forums and show my thanks to those who helped me!

I ended up getting a more powerful 120mm fan for the rear case fan and put the stock 120mm in the front for intake. I also cut the fan guard out and put a piece of tubing around the sharp edges. It resulted in quite a large open hole in the rear but in turn, a huge amount of air escaping from there.

Since the Zalman pushes the airflow directly into the new 120mm case fan it does quite a nice job.

Regardless, after the Zalman CNPS9700 and a more powerful 120mm exit fan with the fan guard removed I am holding idle temps at about 39C/proc and 29C/motherboard. An average load holds 43C and 33C. Under a full load it averages 50-53C/proc and 33-34C/motherboard.

I wanted to stop by again and just thank everyone that helped me with some possible suggestions. They were much appreciated! See you all in the future!

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Im actually having a rise in temps, my x2 5600 is running at 40-44c at idle, so is the x2 4200 im setting up for my daughter, the 4200 used to run 30c, and the 5600 usually runs at 34c, hell even my sempron 2800 is running at 32c it usually runs at 26c, Im hoping its because its been in the nineties in the great lakes state(gO BLUE), and not something else. On a side note, i cant wait to stop using these freaking pr ratings to descibe my processor, I love amd's new modle numbers.

rotchcrocket04

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
40-44 at idle is about average for a hotter than normal room from everything I've gathered from around the internet for a 5600+.

Is the room air conditioned? I notice approximately a 2-3C drop with the air conditioning on.

I'm located in PA and it sure has been hot around here lately! Definitely a noticeable difference in proc. temps b/c of this reason.