HD TIVO

any word on when an "affordable" HD TIVO will be out? I don't feel like
spending a grand. Can I use a HD Receiver with my existing Tivo?
16 answers Last reply
More about tivo

    I assume you mean HD vs. non-HD Tivo. But wouldn't you go for an HD Tivo
    if it were more affordable?

    I'd like HD, but I don't want to give up being able to record programs
    that are on at inconvenient times or that are on at the same time as
    soemtehing else I want to watch. And $1000 for an HD DirecTivo is beyond
    our means right now, so we settle for non-HD Tivo.

    Perce

    On 01/30/05 04:26 pm Diver tossed the following ingredients into the
    ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    > The more HD I watch, the less value Tivo has for me. I dropped my
    > subscription.

    I am so hooked on Tivo, I can't imagine dropping it. But I would love to
    maximize the capabilities of my Sony Grand Wega. I'd be willing to spend up
    to $500 for a HD Tivo, definitely not $1000. I do have a built-in tuner for
    off air HD broadcasts, but that's another issue. I'm in the western part of
    NJ (about 70 miles from NYC) and I'm not sure what kind of ant. to buy to
    guarantee I pick up the signals...I think DirecTv plans on enhancing its HD
    service in the Spring...hopefully they offer the HD Tivo at a more
    affordable price.

    "RPL47" <RPL47@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > any word on when an "affordable" HD TIVO will be out? I don't feel like
    > spending a grand. Can I use a HD Receiver with my existing Tivo?

    I think the CURRENT HD TiVo will be incompatible with DirecTV's Spaceway
    satellites and their HD plans to provide HD locals as well as other
    programming.As I understand it,when those satellites become active,it
    will require use of an MPEG-4 receiver capable of utilizing the Ka-Band
    frequency spectrum.This is probably the so-called NEW DVR's DirecTV has
    alluded to from parent News Corp.'s NDS subsidiary.
    The current receiver is MPEG-2 only and TiVo based and uses the current
    Ku-Band frequency DBS allotment.
    While the new receivers will probably have "TiVo-like" features,it will
    NOT be TiVo.
    If I am wrong,someone correct me please.

    In article <22524-41FD7FE9-42@storefull-3254.bay.webtv.net>,
    SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

    > While the new receivers will probably have "TiVo-like" features,it
    > will NOT be TiVo.

    It may very well wind up being better than TiVo.

    I just hope they provide an affordable
    conversion/switch/upgrade/whatever-they-choose-to-call-it path for those
    of us who already have DirecTiVo.

    RPL47 wrote:

    > buy to guarantee I pick up the signals...I think DirecTv plans on
    > enhancing its HD service in the Spring...hopefully they offer the HD Tivo
    > at a more affordable price.

    From what I've heard, Directv is switching away from Tivo for their
    integrated systems. That comes as a huge blow to Tivo. DirecTivos were a
    large part of Tivo's sales. Also, now that Comcast is offering PVR
    functionality in cable boxes, Tivo has some real problems ahead of them.

    --
    WWW: http://haywire.csuhayward.edu/~jwells2
    spinmaster ._______________________________________________________.

    "Jason Wells" <spinmaster@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > RPL47 wrote:
    >
    > > buy to guarantee I pick up the signals...I think DirecTv plans on
    > > enhancing its HD service in the Spring...hopefully they offer the HD
    Tivo
    > > at a more affordable price.
    > >

    > From what I've heard, Directv is switching away from Tivo for their
    > integrated systems. That comes as a huge blow to Tivo. DirecTivos were a
    > large part of Tivo's sales. Also, now that Comcast is offering PVR
    > functionality in cable boxes, Tivo has some real problems ahead of them.

    I just got comcast's 120gb motorola dvr and I think that it's a great way to
    go if you have comcast. It records in HD with the 5.1 sound. Only one
    remote and good integration of menu. Makes recording incredibly simple.
    Watch one show and record another.

    larrylook wrote:

    > I just got comcast's 120gb motorola dvr and I think that it's a great way
    > go if you have comcast. It records in HD with the 5.1 sound. Only one
    > remote and good integration of menu. Makes recording incredibly simple.
    > Watch one show and record another.

    What's the monthly fee for the dvr? I'm sure it's less than the $13/month
    for Tivo but it obviously won't have all the same features, quality(I may
    not care).
    --

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > I just hope they provide an affordable
    > conversion/switch/upgrade/whatever-they-choose-to-call-it path for those
    > of us who already have DirecTiVo.

    If you have more than one TV, you could just use the DirecTivo on the non HD
    set. Only problem will be potentially paying for two different services...
    --

    In article <JXgLd.18524$5R.15186@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    Jason Wells <spinmaster@nospam.com> wrote:

    > > I just hope they provide an affordable
    > > conversion/switch/upgrade/whatever-they-choose-to-call-it path for
    > > those of us who already have DirecTiVo.
    > >
    > If you have more than one TV, you could just use the DirecTivo on the
    > non HD set.

    I have only one set.

    > larrylook wrote:
    >>
    >> I just got comcast's 120gb motorola dvr and I think that it's a great way
    >> go if you have comcast. It records in HD with the 5.1 sound. Only one
    >> remote and good integration of menu. Makes recording incredibly simple.
    >> Watch one show and record another.
    >>

    > What's the monthly fee for the dvr? I'm sure it's less than the $13/month
    > for Tivo but it obviously won't have all the same features, quality(I may
    > not care).

    The DirecTV DVR fee is $5 per month flat and covers any number of DVRs the
    customer owns.

    Pat

    Greywolf wrote:

    > The DirecTV DVR fee is $5 per month flat and covers any number of DVRs the
    > customer owns.
    >
    > Pat

    I was asking about the Comcast fee. I don't know how much longer DirecTivo's
    going to be around...and don't like spending $1,000 just so I can subscribe
    to someone's service...
    --

    Jason Wells wrote:
    > Greywolf wrote:
    >

    >>The DirecTV DVR fee is $5 per month flat and covers any number of DVRs the
    >>customer owns.
    >>
    >>Pat
    >

    > I was asking about the Comcast fee. I don't know how much longer DirecTivo's
    > going to be around...and don't like spending $1,000 just so I can subscribe
    > to someone's service...
    I just can't help but think that, since DTV has practically given away
    their standard equipment for free to get/retain customers, they will
    probably look at the "freebies" and competition from their rivals and
    make their HD PVR equipment very attractive in price.

    If you stop and think, they never offered "specials" on the DTV HDPVR
    (other than a $250.00 credit). This was probably because they new a big
    change was coming and didn't know how they were going to handle the
    change over at the time.

    If they had invested $1k per HDPVR initially and then had to invest
    another $1k per PVR to replace them, I think it would have hurt their
    bottom line.

    As it is, I think you will probably be offered a credit to upgrade your
    equipment, depending on how old it is.

    And, who knows, maybe all they'll have to do to your present HDPVR is
    have an installer change out the receiver card and/or hard drive in the
    box.

    Oldguy wrote:

    > As it is, I think you will probably be offered a credit to upgrade your
    > equipment, depending on how old it is.
    >
    > And, who knows, maybe all they'll have to do to your present HDPVR is
    > have an installer change out the receiver card and/or hard drive in the
    > box.

    You must not be familiar with Rupert Murdock...
    --

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:28:58 GMT, "RPL47" <RPL47@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >any word on when an "affordable" HD TIVO will be out? I don't feel like
    >spending a grand. Can I use a HD Receiver with my existing Tivo?

    Directv is dropping TIVO and coming out with their own HD DVR
    this year. No word on what it will cost but I bet it aint a friggin
    thousand dollars.

    Sean

    Sean wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:28:58 GMT, "RPL47" <RPL47@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>any word on when an "affordable" HD TIVO will be out? I don't feel like
    >>spending a grand. Can I use a HD Receiver with my existing Tivo?
    >>

    > Directv is dropping TIVO and coming out with their own HD DVR
    > this year. No word on what it will cost but I bet it aint a friggin
    > thousand dollars.

    But will it have dual DirecTV tuners as well as dual ATSC tuners?

HDTV Tivo HD Home Theatre Product