Can't make 2 dimm's (dual) & 3th dimm work together

darks0ul

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I have a problem with my memory module

My MB is 8rda3+ with 3 dimm slots

Till now i had Twinmos 512 Mb 2x256 dual DDR400 with factory timings @ 200 Mhz 8-3-3-2.5, recently I added to my system another 512 Mb this time single card Kingmax with factory timings @ 200 Mhz 7-3-3-2.5

Here my problems begin. I can't make those 2 work together, I set up bios memory frequency @ 166 and timings at 7-3-3-2.5, voltage on auto but blue screen appears after a while, then i raised voltage to 2,63 then 2,77 even 2,90 but BSOD still persist after aprox half an hour

When i raised memory frequency to 200 by SPD i choosed 8-3-3-2.5 and vcore to 2,90 and BSOD didn't appear anymore but firefox keeps on crashing after few minutes

The only stable value was 8-3-3-2.5 but at 133 Mhz which is very slow
I just don't know how to mach twinmoss pair with Kingmax

What timings should I use? BTW my CPU bus is set to 166 (333)
Plsssssssssss any help

Thx,

Mondoman

Splendid
I'd start out by testing each DIMM one at a time, installing one at a time in the MB and running memtest86+ on it for at least a complete cycle. That way, you can see if any of the DIMMs are defective (which they might be).

darks0ul

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I did that, Twinmos set works flawlessly in dual mode and kingmax work good as a single memory in my sytem problem is when i put them together i can't make them to run corectly over 133 Mhz

Mondoman

Splendid
I took a quick look at your MB manual (see page 3-6), and it seems the proper way to install the RAM would be the 512MB DIMM in DIMM #1 (green, bank 0), with the two 256MB DIMMs in the two slots in bank 1. Have you tried that configuration, with all BIOS memory settings set to "auto" and nothing overclocked?

darks0ul

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
The single Kingmax i installed in the middle according to the manual

Today i did a lot of playing with timings but none works
I tested separately all dimms with MemTest86 and all are working fine at 166
then i mounted all together with timings a little higher (9.10.11),3,3,2.5 but in memtest it gives me no errors but when i load into windows crash appears
With these timigs i tried also at 200 Mhz but nothing

So i let them at 133 with timings 5,2,2,2
What are the proper timings to work together at least at 166 Mhz?

Mondoman

Splendid
The single Kingmax i installed in the middle according to the manual...
Since Bank 0 (the single green slot nearest the board edge) is one channel, and Bank 1 (the two other slots closer to each other) is the second channel, the proper way to install the memory you have should be as I described, with the Kingmax not in the middle, but rather in the green slot on the edge of the board ("Bank 0"), and the two twinmos in the pair of slots closer to the CPU.