Volume Licensing Issue with XP Pro in an Enterprise Environment

haml337

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
I have one volume license of XP Professional, with enough seats for our environment, and I am currently attempting to install it on a computer.

Previously, the drive had been wiped using the "dd" command from a Knoppix distro - we were wiping for compliance and didn't expect to use the drive again - and now Windows is failing to install.

In my possession are two MS discs.

One that is dated from Jan 06, with lime green graphics over a hologram background saying, "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade with Service Pack 2" which used to do complete installs on old hard drives that we were reformatting - despite deleting partitions in the setup, there were still multiple partitions detected by DBAN or Knoppix - now prompts me that the product is an upgrade disc and will not do an install without detecting Windows previously installed on the computer. This is supposed to be the full version, as I've done complete installs with this disc and our volume license before.

The second disc is a full hologram disc that is labeled as Windows XP Professional that includes SP2. I can get all the way through the install with this machine, but when it asked for a product key, our volume license (which is the only version of XP Pro we should have) is deemed invalid.

These are the only two discs we have or use for Windows installations. The only difference in how these computers were set up was a proper zeroing of the drive via linux versus using the format from the Windows install disc. I don't understand why a full-install disc wouldn't full-install like it has before.

Is there a way to resolve this? Switching discs during this process doesn't seem to trigger the license into operation, or get me past the "is an upgrade product" screen. What would give us the ability to use our licenses again and just get this installed?