Radeon card with Nvidia drivers installed

leonardotmnt

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The video card on my parents computer died the other day and now it won't get past the windows splash screen. It had a Nvidia card in it and I want to get a Radeon card now. Will everything boot up if I just install the Radeon card to uninstall the old drivers and reinstall the new ones for the Radeon?

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
No. You will have problems with the wrong drivers installed.

- Start in safe mode
- Remove old drivers (optionally, use Driver Cleaner Pro).
- Reboot
- Install new drivers.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
No. You will have problems with the wrong drivers installed.

- Start in safe mode
- Remove old drivers (optionally, use Driver Cleaner Pro).
- Reboot
- Install new drivers.

actualy he shouldnt have any problems (if the machine boots it will just use the generic driver untill you install the new ones) since the hardware wont be present windows should detect the new one and use that all auto like :)

I agree safe mode is probably the best route just to be umm safe lol but I dont think its required :)

Hmmm you say the splash screen eh ? then you get a BSOD ?

If that is true and you see the splash screen then the BSOD there is a chance that booting into safe mode then using Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all Nvidia drivers will fix the issue. (download and install the newest ones after removal)

Try booting into safe mode and playing around on the system if that works you could be a victim of corrupted drivers. I had a system come into my hands with a problem like this. The computer would run all day in safe mode then if you booted into windows you would see the splash screen then a BSOD with some error about an endless loop or something like that. Driver Cleaner Pro reboot and new driver fixed the issue :)

buljash_si_ti

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
interesting, my old radeon 9200se worked with catalyst drivers, but every time i launch a game i'ts saying that i need nVidia drivers, weird...

Latest posts