lose iternet connection

I have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. I have one computer
with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot, adware and registry
first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton Systemworks for viruses. The
problem is if I don't use my computer for awhile I can't connect to the
Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and reboot in order to connect.
I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have not had to reboot for
anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends modem and the same
things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If anybody has any ideas
I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I posted this earler but have been gone on trip and wanted to start over.

I am having the same trouble. I posted the same question to the group about
three hours after you did. I had an old upgrade that I bought in 2002 XP.
When I loaded that version I had no trouble for a month and a half. I think
something is wrong with recent CD's of windows XP. I am having trouble with
the same thing and the version is an OEM version. I haven't received an
answer yet either.

"not to bright" <please@helpme.net> wrote in message
>I have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. I have one computer
> with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot, adware and registry
> first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton Systemworks for viruses. The
> problem is if I don't use my computer for awhile I can't connect to the
> Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and reboot in order to connect.
> I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have not had to reboot for
> anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends modem and the same
> things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If anybody has any
> ideas
> I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>
> I posted this earler but have been gone on trip and wanted to start over.

There is only common thread to this problem. I am running Norton System
works 2005 and Zone Alarm Pro. One of these programs may be causing the
trouble. It is funny when I used the old update (without SP1 etc) and
updated over the internet I had no trouble. I had to format and reload the C
drive and used the OEM that came with the machine and the trouble showed up

Luckeyo

"luckeyo1" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same trouble. I posted the same question to the group about
>three hours after you did. I had an old upgrade that I bought in 2002 XP.
>When I loaded that version I had no trouble for a month and a half. I think
>something is wrong with recent CD's of windows XP. I am having trouble with
>the same thing and the version is an OEM version. I haven't received an
>answer yet either.
>

> "not to bright" <please@helpme.net> wrote in message
>>I have dsl, modem is a Netopia. I have windows XP home. I have one
>>computer
>> with all the latest updates. I have ran spybot, adware and registry
>> first-aid. I have zone alarm firewall, Norton Systemworks for viruses.
>> The
>> problem is if I don't use my computer for awhile I can't connect to the
>> Internet anymore. I have to turn off modem and reboot in order to
>> connect.
>> I've had windows XP for about 3 years and have not had to reboot for
>> anything that wasn't my fault. I borrowed a friends modem and the same
>> things happen and friend has no problems with mine. If anybody has any
>> ideas
>> I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>>
>> I posted this earler but have been gone on trip and wanted to start over.

Luckeyo1

Here is a response I got from someone. It might help you, try and see.
Please start with this article:
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/does-your-computer-lose-network.html>

If no help yet, provide some basic information.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>

--
Cheers,
Chuck