[AHCI] Setup cannot copy the file: ahcix86.inf during XP isetup

flakjacket

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
My mainboard is an Asrock AOD790GX/128M
I am trying to set up a fresh install of windows XP pro SP3 on a single hard drive.
I don’t want the RAID feature just the AHCI.
I have set OnChip “SATA Operation Mode” option to AHCI and connected my HD to the SATA1 port and my DVD drive to SATA4 port.
I have made a floppy disc with the AHCI driver “AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller- x86 platform” for xp from the included mainboard CD. The only driver present although I don’t need RAID

I have booted my computer with my windows XP CD in. Then pressed F6 when prompted. I then put my floppy disc in with the driver on and press "S" I then select "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x86 platform" and press enter.

I then select where i want to install windows (to the only drive I have in the computer) the installation starts fine but then when copying files over it gives me the message:

"Setup cannot copy the file: ahcix86.inf"
the retry option does nothing

I am sure the driver on the floppy disk is good, no corrupt files or anything. Something else is causing the error.
I have followed the following user manual instructions to the letter but didn’t help.

page 51
2.18.1 Installing Windows® XP / XP 64-bit Without RAID Functions

If you want to install Windows® XP or Windows® XP 64-bit on your SATA / SATAII
HDDs without RAID functions, please follow below steps.
Using SATA / SATAII HDDs and eSATAII devices with NCQ and Hot Plug functions

STEP 1: Set Up BIOS.
A. Enter BIOS SETUP UTILITY Advanced screen IDE Configuration.
B. Set the “SATA Operation Mode” option to [IDE].

STEP 2: Make a SATA / SATAII driver diskette.
Make a SATA / SATAII driver diskette by following section 2.17.1 step 2 on page

STEP 3: Set Up BIOS.
A. Enter BIOS SETUP UTILITY Advanced screen IDE Configuration.
B. Set the “SATA Operation Mode” option to [AHCI].

STEP 4: Install Windows® XP / Windows® XP 64-bit OS on your system.
After step 1, 2, 3, you can start to install Windows® XP / Windows® XP 64-bit OS on your
system. At the beginning of Windows® setup, press F6 to install a third-party AHCI
driver. When prompted, insert the SATA / SATAII driver diskette containing the AMD
AHCI driver. After reading the floppy disk, the driver will be presented. Select the driver to
install according to the OS you install. (Select “AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x86 platform” for Windows® XP, or “AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x64 platform”
for Windows® XP 64-bit.)