Looking for USB 802.11N network adapter

yoavhacohen

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Hi,

I'm looking for a 802.11N wireless adapter.

I have Vista (Premium) and 2GB 800MHz RAM

I found this one (DLink dwa 140):
http://www.twenga.co.uk/reviews-RangeBooster-N-USB-Adapter-DWA-140-D-LINK-Wireless-network-card-and-USB-key-113016-1-0-0

Although it is stated that this adapter supports vista I wonder if anybody has an experience with it, becuase my current adapter (netgear WG111A) make troubles and the connection is not stable with it.

My router is Netgear WGT624 but I will replace it in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!
Yoav

NetworkMeUp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Routers, like PCs, can get into an improperly fuctioning state which requires a reboot or "powercycling" to bring it back to a properly functioning state. Your description of the errors you're encountering indicates that your router may be in such a state. Powercycling your router means simply unplug the router's power for at least a full 15 seconds, then plug it back in. It can take up to a full minute for the router to come back online. When that is done, restart your PC.

If this fails to solve the problem, please reply to this message with the full and exact text of the error message you are encountering. If you are not getting an error message, please provide a detailed description of the problem and the steps taken just before the problem arose.

Lastly, you may simply need a firmware upgrade. The symptoms you described sound very strange, and in many cases I've found a firmware upgrade can solve the connection problems.