I can't open Control Panel - why?

June 6, 2005 6:47:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Gads! It just goes on and on - now I find I cannot open Control Panel
at all. Why not?

(XP HOME) (again)

More about : open control panel

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:47:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item #256 (Restore the Control Panel).

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"geezer" wrote:

| Gads! It just goes on and on - now I find I cannot open Control Panel
| at all. Why not?
|
| (XP HOME) (again)
June 6, 2005 6:47:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Carey,
Your link got worms! I'll tell you how I found out:

Carey link really appears correct. But click on it - not working.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm

I paste a good one from my Favorites: (They look identical)

Copy your link & Paste to Browser - the worms show-up
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­-m/xp_tweaks.htm (error: extra <-> in 'co-m')

Another way of detection: Click at far blank-end of your above link but the mouse
cursor goes as close to it. Now, press Space bar key - it make one step underlined.
Try my good link.

Once in a while - all of us - must also clean our own machine - those intruders chose
no one. I cannot believe it - no one ever reported this before?

Regards,
<Rino>

----

"geezer" wrote:

| Gads! It just goes on and on - now I find I cannot open Control Panel
| at all. Why not?
|
| (XP HOME) (again)
Related resources
June 6, 2005 7:41:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:13:09 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
>Item #256 (Restore the Control Panel).

It worked!

Thanks

>[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>

>Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
>Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
>http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
>Symantec Security Check
>http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>
>Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>
>3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
>http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x
>
>Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
>Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
>to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
>
>Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
>How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
>HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
June 7, 2005 5:36:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Interesting!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Carey,
> Your link got worms! I'll tell you how I found out:
>
> Carey link really appears correct. But click on it - not working.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> I paste a good one from my Favorites: (They look identical)
>
> Copy your link & Paste to Browser - the worms show-up
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­-m/xp_tweaks.htm (error: extra <-> in
> 'co-m')
>
> Another way of detection: Click at far blank-end of your above link but
> the mouse
> cursor goes as close to it. Now, press Space bar key - it make one step
> underlined.
> Try my good link.
>
> Once in a while - all of us - must also clean our own machine - those
> intruders chose
> no one. I cannot believe it - no one ever reported this before?
>
> Regards,
> <Rino>

> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item #256 (Restore the Control Panel).
>

> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

> http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

> Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
> to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> ----
>
> "geezer" wrote:
>
> | Gads! It just goes on and on - now I find I cannot open Control Panel
> | at all. Why not?
> |
> | (XP HOME) (again)

June 7, 2005 1:45:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thank You!
Hey Kelly, while you're here I must ask you - how I could take out or delete a pop up
Windows alert message - it always come up upon booting up:

Top movie installation error
Top movie require the Microsoft Virtual Machine
Download it from http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm

This alert or error message is many years old and still continued showing in my PC. I
already installed a latest version of Java from Sun M. Is there a way I could get rid of
it?

My Advance Thanks,
<<Rino>>

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uDoNHtyaFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Interesting!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Carey,
> Your link got worms! I'll tell you how I found out:
>
> Carey link really appears correct. But click on it - not working.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> I paste a good one from my Favorites: (They look identical)
>
> Copy your link & Paste to Browser - the worms show-up
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­-m/xp_tweaks.htm (error: extra <-> in
> 'co-m')
>
> Another way of detection: Click at far blank-end of your above link but
> the mouse
> cursor goes as close to it. Now, press Space bar key - it make one step
> underlined.
> Try my good link.
>
> Once in a while - all of us - must also clean our own machine - those
> intruders chose
> no one. I cannot believe it - no one ever reported this before?
>
> Regards,
> <Rino>

> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item #256 (Restore the Control Panel).
>

> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

> http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
> Symantec Security Check

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

> Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
> to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> ----
>
> "geezer" wrote:
>
> | Gads! It just goes on and on - now I find I cannot open Control Panel
> | at all. Why not?
> |
> | (XP HOME) (again)

June 8, 2005 5:34:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Most welcome. As for Top Movie.... would need to know more. What type of
program is this? I have never heard of it. If you are still using it,
check the options and/or their support forums. Good luck!

--

news:o 7MBBB4aFHA.3684@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!