May 4, 2007
hi guys looking for some help on overclocking my cpu
i have a gigabyte m55sli s-4 board 1gb corsair 5400 memory
looking for a guide or a little help on how to do this if possible thanks

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well, there are a few things you need to know before you start overclocking:
1. FSB speed: this is the base FSB that everything else multiplies with to get their respective speeds. Default is 200MHz, and this is what you will increase to get an overclock.
2. CPU speed: This is achieved by multiplying the FSB by some integer. If your chip runs at 2GHz, it has a multiplier of 10x (ie 200MHz*10=2GHz).
3. HyperTransport (HT) speed: this is also achieved by multiplying the FSB with a multiplier. Default is 5, giving an HT speed of 1GHz.
4. RAM speed: this is achieved by dividing the CPU speed by some integer. Since the divider can only be an integer, you have only a few options for your RAM speed for any given CPU speed. Chances are that you will run your RAM at slower or higher speed than it is rated for. DDR2 667 RAM (the one you have) isn't the best for overclocking, but it will do.

I'm assuming you are using the stock cooler, so my advice is to get your CPU around 2.4GHz, see how it runs, and then save up some money to get a good cooler and better RAM for more serious overclocking.

Now the actual overclocking bit. All overclocking should be done from the BIOS.
1. The HT link is usually the first to become unstable due to overclocking. Keeping it at or under 1000MHz is crucial. First thing you should do is drop its multiplier to 4x. This will give us some initial headroom.
2. Let's take your CPU to 2.2GHz. Up your FSB to 220MHz, and set your RAM speed divider to 7. This will get your RAM to run at a tad over 300MHz (2200/7), meaning around 630MHz effective (remember DDR speeds are doubled) - about right for RAM rated for 667MHz.

If everything boots up fine, I suggest you run Orthos and check your temperatures. You should expect temperatures in the 30's for idle and 50's for load. This can vary depending on ambient temperature, ventilation, your case, etc.

If everything check out OK, go back to the BIOS and try to get your FSB up to 240MHz. This will give you a CPU speed of 2.4GHz. See if you can keep your RAM divider at 7, which will mean you are overclocking your RAM just a bit (685MHz vs 667 rated). You shouldn't have any problems, but if you do drop the divider to 8.

Run Orthos again and see how your temps are. If everything checks out OK, congratulations.

You might want to run Memtest86 as well to see if your RAM is stable.

Good luck.