Best speakers for under $300 CAD?

Penryn

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
my friends wants to buy a new set of speakers. He is considering the logitech z-5500 5.1, but its a little extreme on his budget. Dell is selling it for $299 plus tax which is $340.

I know there are some audio freaks here, help my friend out. What are some of the choices for good quality speakers under $300CAD? 5.1 perfered, but 2.1 is acceptable

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well if he's cool with 2.1 then get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers for around $150 and spend the rest for a sound card like X-Fi if he doesn't have one already. That Logitech speakers you mentioned is good as well.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I'm no 'audio freak' but I have the logitech x-530 5.1 system and I absolutely love it!
Although if you spend more and get the next step up from logitech ( I can't remember the exact model) but that may be waht you're looking for.
Mine costed like 50-60 usd from newegg. I've seen it for 100 usd at wally world locally, but that's too expensive.

For the price, these are quite good speakers. I'm sure that you are looking at something 'more powerful' or whatever, but I like mine. And, at some point power isn't going to matter if you don't even get to half the volume. I've TRIED to max these speakers out with the four volume controls in windows and the physical volume, but I just can't do it. It doesn't get any distortion but it fills my room, my hallway, and my whole house with noise. :)

They're kinda fun to play with, but I wouldn't need any more.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
you probably already heard it but them speakers are probably the best you can get.the z-5500 are probably the best quality speakers in that price range, the x530s lack power from the tweeters and the bass is too high pitched

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Also, the Logitech Z2300 are a damn fine bargain for a 2.1 system. I've heard several complaints about the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 subwoofer, so I'd definitely go with the Z2300.

In fact, I have a pair of Z2300's; I've had them since Christmas. I can tell you one of the most subtle, but well-thought out features is the fact that when you plug your headphones into the volume control, you can turn off the sound but still hear from the headphones, in case somehow your headphones get unplugged in the middle of the night you won't wake everybody up. That's a damn fine quality, but I don't know if the Klipsch have it or not.

Other than that, there's no treble control, but there's a bass setting on there. Cool little blue LED light, the buton hasn't stuck for me yet, the wheel works wonders with how precise you want your sound, and the subwoofer is tremendously powerful. I'm sincerely scared to go up any higher than I have before, because the walls literally rattle. Screw the reviews that say that there's no mid-ranges, that's all BS. The sound on these things is incredible, not a single note is missed. But, they really shine when you watch movies and play games. I don't know what else to say... my friend has the Klipsch 2.1 set, and he and I both agree that the Logitech wins. But in the end, it's up to your friend.

Hope that helped.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, having the z-5500s myself i can see what you mean with the z-2300s, however, i don't particularly like 2.1 in comparison to 5.1 because the sub seems to slightly over power the tweeters.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
yeah, having the z-5500s myself i can see what you mean with the z-2300s, however, i don't particularly like 2.1 in comparison to 5.1 because the sub seems to slightly over power the tweeters.

Actually, they really don't. I should be one who can vouch for them, considering that I live in a house that's got no carpets; rather, entirely hardwood floors (bonus bass reverb), plus I have an acoustic guitar in my room (even more bass reverb). I find that the satellites still have enough juice to match the terrorizing power of the 120-watt subwoofer.

The Z2300 is an excellent 2.1 system, and the satellites are fully aware of the beast that lurks beneath them. They can still hold their ground, though.

Penryn

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
any body has any idea about how good bose component 5 system is???
heard that it produces 5.1 sound in 2.1 config 8O

i've seen that on TV and i actually heard its quality in one of my local electronics stores. It sounds great, but its no true 5.1. If you're used to real surround then this is really different. It is virtual 5.1, it echos sound coming from rear to make it sound like its coming from behind, but really its just stereo lol

btw, thanks for all the replies, seems like theres only:

logitech z-2300
logitech z-5500
klipcsh promedia 2.1 or 5.1

any other brands?

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Penryn, those are top-notch speaker systems. There's not much else to reccomend, only because there's not much taht competes in the range you're looking for. Seriously, how many 2.1 speaker systems compete with the Z2300? Just one that I know of, the Klipsch. As far as the 5.1 systems go, you could look into getting some Creative systems, but make sure you read reviews and ask questions.

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
hello,

for the average user excluding audiophiles the hands down champ is the z5500 by logitech. nothing else compares for actual computer speakers to get better sound you want non pc speakers. the price of 200 for the z5500 is fantastic i paid 400 for mine when they came out and they are like having 5-600 speaker system. you wont regret these speakers im absolutely positive!