219 unforseen problems with xp over network!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello. We recently replaced a lot of computers at work, and now that they're all running, I've got to realize I have a problem!
In two of our locations computers will often freeze up at an empty 'personalize settings' window (before it starts setting up internet explorer etc). This works the same way for all users, both new and those who have a profile already. When it happends I can still access the taskbar (with explorer, userinit and wga running user initiated) - I cannot kill explorer, and I cannot use the shutdown or log off feature from <ctrl>+<alt>+<del>
It seems only to appear on computers in two locations connected thru an aging hp ml330 isa server.
I've got a total of 219 of those computers (hp dc7900cmt 4gb, e5200 xp sp3 dk, f-secure 8). I have yet to notice it on the older dc7800,dc7700,dc7600 and dc7100 mashines we are still using, but since I've deployed the same wds images to them all, I assume the problem is present on all the old ones too.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, or what I could do to find out?
The error happends on mashines deployed with wds images from two different sources (read: not the same initial install) but show the same behavour. Internet explorer has also been reported as being sluggish and slow at times. I assume the problem has something to do with explorer trying to do something to the internet explorer settings at login.
Tried to make the login script delete CU-Software-Internet Explorer - while it does delete it, it doesn't resolve the issue.

Any suggestions worth trying?

All pcs have the following in common:
Windows XP volume license in Danish with Service Pack 3 applied, fully patched as of mid juli 2009
F-secure 8 with management server activated
Open Office 3.0.2 in danish
RealVNC 4.1.3
Old 16bit dictionaries for danish-german & danish-english (and the other way around)
K-lite mega codec pack home cinema default install (a version from may 2009)
adgangforalle.dk (text to speech software in danish)
Adobe reader 9 updated as of may 2009
Microsoft Firewall Client 4.0 (not used for any particular feature except setting proxy)
At least 1GB memory and a 3Ghz HT enabled cpu (or a core 2 ranging from e6300 to q9550) & sata HD in ahch mode

haven

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
did anyone delete explorer.exe from the startup menu because that will cause what you are experiencing?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
from the startup menu? explorer is loaded from the shell entry in winlogon (reigstry), not from th start menu. In fact the start menu is only used by explorer.
Anyway, no nothing's been deleted that've I've noticed so far. I'm the only one who'd used the computers I based the images on prior to making the wds files.