Running dos programs

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have read all the questions and answers and I am no wiser.I have a 64bit vista system.I have 3 programs written using QB 45 and compiled into .exe files.They used to run on windows XP,now they wont.Please can someone give a simple step by step answer what to do.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Thank you for your prompt reply,but I have tried that and it did not work.Also i tried the compatability window and told it to run in windows XP,but that did not work either.These are programs that took about 3 years to collate the data and write.I am pretty devaststed.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have no idea ..What is the UAC.Where will I find it ..in windows?..I opened the dos command prompt and tried to run.I It said not compatable with 64 bit system.I the tried the command "type" which should have simply shown the program on screen and said "access denied".

My guess would be that these are 16-bit programs which won't run on a 64-bit version of Windows. Your best bet is to use VMWare (or something similar) to run an earlier version of Windows, or FreeDOS, and run the programs withinn that VM.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I am afraid I have no idea what a virtual machine is.Does this mean like partioning the drive and running part of it in windows xp,and of course that would mean I would have to buy a copy of windows XP,since I cannot open my prevoius computer.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

What is VMware ,I assume it is this Virtual Machine idea.Is this a program that I have to buy?At the moment i cant even view the program to copy it by old fashioned writing,even working in dos it states firmly "access denied"

------------------

A virtual machine is like another PC in your PC. Is a program that permit have another OS in you win Vista, BUT you don't need create a new partition for install this OS. The program created a virtual HDD and install the OS in this HDD, with all the specifications of your computer. Unfortunally, yes, you could need a XP licence for the OS of the virtual machine.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I am so amazed and grateful, for the number of helpful replies I have received to my query.Thank you.Is dos box a free downlload or do I have to buy it?.Secondly I think you have hit on a new point that nobody else mentioned that there are 2 versions of Win Xp,both 32bit and 64 bit.My programs worked on my earlier computer(only 3 years old) with XP and it must have been XP in the 32 bit style.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Thanks.It sounds a bit more complicated than trying dos box ,and rather annoying that I cant get to use the XP program from my earlier computer,which came ready loaded and not with a licensed disc.

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Thank you, and your friends, for your replies.I thought you would like to know that DODBox does work.I downloaded it quite quickly,which is a serious advantage ,because I have dial up internet.We live way out in thcountryside,and boradband internet is not available.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Im glad to here that you got it working.
Since these were written in QB it might be worth your time to rewrite them in a newer language like Visual basic.
The programming is VERY similar since it is still basic but the compiler will make it useable on the newer systems. Visual basic will aslo give you the ability to use a graphical interface to give them more polish with dialouge boxes, menus, etc..

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Thanks ,a good idea,I dont have visual basic,but maybe it is built in to Windows?I am still having some problems because the programs have trouble finding files,which Vista has moved all over the place.I am very impressed with the helpful and generous nature of the members of this group.I guess it is like train sets,people just get so enthusiastic about things.Thank anyway

valerie gray

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I have just installed Windows7 home premium and that does NOT come with an xp emulator.In fact it is not quite as good for the dosbox,since it changes the colours.It does work however.Thanks any way