New Mobo, Current HD and OS

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Can it be done? Installing a new MOBO without formating and installing all of my programs again?

Can I keep my current HD and OS intact and simply install my new board? I am curious before I attempt it...

Can it be done? Installing a new MOBO without formating and installing all of my programs again?

Can I keep my current HD and OS intact and simply install my new board? I am curious before I attempt it...

Yes. However;

Are we talking an exact same brand replacement M/B or a different brand M/B altogether?

And what OP/SYS are we talking about here?

If WinXP or Win2K is the OP/SYS a repair installation will be the route to take for a different brand M/B.

Do a normal installation just like installing from scratch, during the XP or 2K installation if the SATA or RAID is required use the F6 driver loading prompt just like a normal from scratch installation, continue the installation as it being from scratch until the screen after the F8 license agreement screen, at that screen it will search for previous OP/SYS installations, Press R and the Repair begins.

It will seem like its installing from scratch do not get alarmed, you'll even have to re-enter the product key code, that is completely normal, but when it completes all your data will be intack and you won't loose a thing.

Whatever you do, even if you go too far, Do Not Format or Delete any Partitions, but if you follow my advice you'll never get to that point anyway.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
awesome. Thanks bro.

I am running win XP and I am switching my Asus P5NSLi (trash) to an EVGA nForce 680i SLi 775 (which seems like it will rock).

That is good new to hear. Gonna print out your post and do it when I get home +D

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
After I get to the Insall/Repair screen and I hit R it takes me to the recovery console...I have no idea what to do here. It simply gives me the option only to format. It is saying it is not a compatible file system or some crap.

It only gives me the option to format other than that recovery console...Not sure what to do really...

TRENDING THREADS