Closed Solved

Windows 7 Media Player playback issue

I'm running into an issue with Windows Media Player in Windows 7 with MPEG-2 files I created from a Sony camcorder (with Picture Package). Had played them without any issues at all in Windows Media Player in Windows XP. On Windows 7 video plays correctly initially, but then stops well before the end of the file. If I try to scan ahead (say, halfway through the file), the playback slows way down, and the audio is garbled. This occurs on every file I recorded in this manner.

I downloaded VLC player and was able to play back the files without any issue, but would prefer to continue to use Media Player. Any suggestions would be appreciated- thanks!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows media player playback issue
  1. Could give the Media Player Codec Pack a try and see if that resolves you WMP issue.

http://download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html
  2. brandoncatz said:
    Could give the Media Player Codec Pack a try and see if that resolves you WMP issue.

http://download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html

Thanks for the info. Microsoft's site had some comments about codec packs causing various issues- is it straightforward to uninstall this codec pack if I did run into issues? (Or is that not a real concern?)
  3. Sorry, but I strictly use VLC since it plays any and everything, so I can't give any info based on experience with this particular codec pack. Considering the description and good reviews of this product, I would venture a guess and say that you should be good. If not, I would imagine, but can not guarantee, that like most programs there is an uninstaller and it would be listed in add/remove programs if you decide that it is causing issues or did not help. I would start there, and then try the K-Lite codec pack or FFDShow if the first doesn't work for you. Let me know how it goes.
  4. Installed the codec pack and experimented with some of the settings, and I wasn't able to fix the issues. (The ffdshow configuration tool has the decoder disabled for MPEG2 files by default, but I changed that setting to libavcodec and libmpeg2, with no change to the results). Still encountering the same issue when I scan forward in the file.

Another interesting observation- Windows Live Movie Maker can play the same clips without any issue whatsoever- no skipping or audio issues when scanning forward. I would have guessed Movie Maker would use the same codecs as Media Player....I'm a bit stumped on this one...
  5. This has no bearing, but I am curious why you want to stick with WMP? VLC is a superior application.
  6. brandoncatz said:
    This has no bearing, but I am curious why you want to stick with WMP? VLC is a superior application.

I'm starting to think I should use VLC. It's mostly that I wonder why files that played without issue with WMP on Windows XP should now have issues playing on Windows 7. It's more of an annoyance than a real issue- I have been pretty impressed with how VLC handles different file formats.
  7. Best answer
    Did you have one of the 3rd party DVD/MPG2 decoders installed in Windows XP, like PowerDVD or Cineplay? I thought version 12 handled DVDs from the get-go, but maybe not.

Ya, I understand your frustration, which is why I eventually moved over to VLC. I think it was due to an issue exactly like this.
  8. i use media player and media center, i use shark's codec pack certified by windows and microsoft.
    http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
  9. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Multimedia Windows 7 Media Player Apps