Sign in with
Your question

HD 2400 and 2600 shipping in volume

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2007 6:08:44 AM

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070611/20070610005027.html?.v=1

Recent announcement. Nice to see some actual products releasing. Its not Barcelona, but its product.

Personally, I just want to see the mobile stuff :( 
June 11, 2007 11:39:58 AM

Quote:
if its not selling on this list within 6 weeks of launch date its a paper launch
http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/

the channel will not be happy unless this occurs

edit:
also sorry you couldnt think of a name
i know how it goes

According to the original announcement from AMD, neither series (2400 or 2600) is even *due* until the end of June (I am referring to the original announcement, back when the 2900 was launched); therefore, IMHO, availability the week of 30 June is the Decision Point. Also, I am looking at these cards in the AGP (not PCIe) form-factor (nV has no DX 10 parts in this area, and none of their AIBs has talked of the launch of either 8400 or 8500-series hardware in AGP).
June 11, 2007 1:40:31 PM

They won't be in AGP. If you want a better card for AGP your fooling yourself. AGP has limited bandwidth. It's like having an oven that can cook 500 pizzas at once. Doesn't matter how many pizzas you have if you can't eat them. Doesn't matter how powerful the graphics processor is if the AGP channel can't move the data from the GPU to the processor/RAM and out to your monitor.
Related resources
June 11, 2007 3:36:16 PM

Quote:
They won't be in AGP. If you want a better card for AGP your fooling yourself. AGP has limited bandwidth. It's like having an oven that can cook 500 pizzas at once. Doesn't matter how many pizzas you have if you can't eat them. Doesn't matter how powerful the graphics processor is if the AGP channel can't move the data from the GPU to the processor/RAM and out to your monitor.

Except for running flat-out (maximum resolution with all settings to their ceilings, and you would naturally want something like the 8800GTS or HD2900XT for that, as opposed to mainstream or value cards in any case), why would you need PCIe if you're gaming at 1024x768 or even 1280x1024 with a midrange title? If you want to run at the highest of settings, then mainstream cards (from anyone) aren't where you are going to be looking. Also, if you aren't going to be looking at Windows Vista, but want a better card than the X1950XT (the current AGP champ) nV has no options in that area. So are you suggesting that nV is going to completely cede the AGP upgrade market to ATI/AMD?
June 11, 2007 4:23:57 PM

I'm saying that AGP is barely a market mostly. Just like DDR isn't a market manufacturers are really looking at. Very little R+D dollars will be put into AGP. It seems that ATI does intend to release the 2600 for agp in the next few months. I don't feel like debating on whether or not AGP is a dead format though. AGP is what IDE will be in another year or two.
June 11, 2007 4:24:24 PM

I'm saying that AGP is barely a market mostly. Just like DDR isn't a market manufacturers are really looking at. Very little R+D dollars will be put into AGP. It seems that ATI does intend to release the 2600 for agp in the next few months. I don't feel like debating on whether or not AGP is a dead format though. AGP is what IDE will be in another year or two.
June 11, 2007 5:08:39 PM

Just dnld specs... oh boy... DDR2 on the pro... AGP supported versions listed. Looks like a 1650 series w/ ring core and DXTen. Looks like XT is the only 'improvement', and thats not sayin much. I note that an NV8600 GT is nearly the same with 500/1400 clock opposed to ATi 800/1400. That 8600GT in the ASUS flavor runs 140 US dollah. Price point MUST be lower or the ball belongs to NV. JMHO's

f61
June 11, 2007 5:25:39 PM

It's noting that this isn't shipping in volume to consumers, this is shipping in volume to the manufacturers. Basically confirming the in-shops launch schedule, we'll probably see the very first cards being shipped to retailers at the begining of july, so it will likely be mid july by the time anyone can actually get their hands on them.
June 11, 2007 6:07:47 PM

Are there some HD2600 benchmarks out already? It looks good on paper, i wonder how it performs in games.
June 11, 2007 6:56:48 PM

Quote:
Are there some HD2600 benchmarks out already? It looks good on paper, i wonder how it performs in games.

Benchmarks
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2007 6:59:17 PM

Quote:
if its not selling on this list within 6 weeks of launch date its a paper launch
http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/

Why does Pricewatch matter? It doesn't even have the GF8600 & 8500 or the HD2900 on that list yet;

Seems pretty irrelevant, and it's far from a judge of availability unless you consider the GF8600 to be a paper launch despite availability @ Best Buy before it officially launched. :roll:

NewEgg is a far better guage of availability at launch than pricewatch, and even they trail ZipZoomFly and Buy.com sometimes.
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2007 7:10:06 PM

Quote:

Benchmarks

Those benchmarks are pretty questionable sofar with some glaring holes in the FEAR numbers.
June 11, 2007 7:33:34 PM

Quote:

Benchmarks

Those benchmarks are pretty questionable sofar with some glaring holes in the FEAR numbers.

agree,
that is the best I've come up with though.
I'm thinking up upgrading to it depending on price/performance once it hits newegg.
June 11, 2007 7:33:35 PM

Quote:

Benchmarks

X6800 Quad Core in chinese = Braised Meat

hahahah gotta love google translation!
June 11, 2007 7:47:25 PM

So will the HD2600 be significantly faster than the X1950 Pro? ...or is there not enough information out yet to figure that out?
June 11, 2007 7:49:58 PM

More benchmarks.

Not the most reputable site but they did OK with their early 2900 benchmarks before it's release.
June 11, 2007 8:31:08 PM

They do the testing prior to May 22, post the article June 8, but have no time to make more than 5 benchmarks..
I need more than that to get an impression of what these cards are capable of.
June 11, 2007 9:07:29 PM

Quote:
They do the testing prior to May 22, post the article June 8, but have no time to make more than 5 benchmarks..

Agreed,
I think we might have to wait until they're "release" be it paper or retail.
June 11, 2007 9:07:45 PM

Quote:

Agreed,
I think we might have to wait until they're "released" be it paper or retail.
June 11, 2007 9:36:42 PM

Quote:

why does everyone still think agp is dead? yes agp has limited bandwidth but so does windows xp, vista =32 bit operating system, unless your using a 64 bit operating system you will not see any advantage with pcie.
ati has the best position looking to cater both agp and pcie. just becuz the sales man told u 3 years ago that they will stop making top of the line cards for the plateform u believed him a bought a high prices pcie board and still have it, and agp still alive, while pcie boards have come down soo much in price, u fail to see that agp will be around, until EVERYONE STARTS USING 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEMS.

furthermore if you would like go to the chart for video cards and rate equal
cards in agp with a pcie card and get the fps, then come back with your ungodly differences, lol.
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2007 11:26:41 PM

Quote:
More benchmarks.

Not the most reputable site but they did OK with their early 2900 benchmarks before it's release.

I definitely wouldn't call them reputable, when their COH scores go UP by adding AA?

Like all things I wait for reviews with the bigger picture and even then the more reviews the better to get a wider idea of the benefits and weaknesses.

Personally I'd wait for the final results. Like I said for quite some time I suspect the HD2600 will be just as underwhelming as the GF8600 because what the GF8600 lacks in shader power the HD2600 lacks in ROP power. Sure it's better than the HD2900 in texture ratio, but having 1 ROP unit (equiv 4) is going to hurt it in higher resolutions, and AA (which was already an issue due to the shader resolve method).
!