Last response: in Storage

are raptors worth the dosh

Total: 57 votes (2 blank votes)

• yes
  • 64 %
  • no
  • 37 %
June 11, 2007 6:11:50 AM

hey... im building a pc, budget = $2300 probly something around that. should i spend the money and buy a raptor drive, if so which one. im not sure if they are worth lots of people have them their is a lack of praise for them =( it will be a gaming/performance pc so should i invest in them.?

More about : raptor worth

June 11, 2007 7:13:22 AM

The hard drive is one of the slowest equipment in the modern computer, so the faster ´hard drive you get the better.

Raptor is the fastest, but it's expensive, it's somewhat louder than not so fast competitors, and it has relative small storage capasity...

With same money you can buy: faster cpu, gpu, more memory etc... But if you want to have fastest that you can get, or if you use aplications that use a lot hard drive, go for it. You have a big budget, so the price should not be a problem.
You don't get higher framerates, but somewhat better loading, startin, saving etc. times...
June 11, 2007 7:53:44 AM

Windows might load a second or two faster and you might shave a fraction of a second off your save times but with the heat, and noise generated and the expense per gig you would be much better off going with a couple of big 7200rpm drives.

When the Raptor was released it was significantly faster than any other drive which made it a name for itself but since then 7200rpm drives have been catching up. Your not going to see a large enough performance increase to justify the cost.
Related resources
June 11, 2007 8:59:28 AM

a raptor can be likened to top performing cpu/gpu/memory/etc... the performance increase they bring isnt always worth the price premium they come with, compared other more mainstream parts

if cost becomes an issue (as it does seem), you may be better off going with a current 7200... otherwise, the 36, 74, and 150GB ADFD revision raptors all offer the same performance between one another (just differing in total capacities and cost primarily)
June 11, 2007 10:20:14 AM

Raptors are only worth it if you get 2 for raid and then
OH
MY
F#%&$*%
GOODNESS

They are *FAST*

Else just get 2 normal hdds and raid them.
June 11, 2007 11:25:04 AM

I find it very strange to see how many yes's there are and no people stating why. All the people that have posted say it's not worth it. I agree. I'll use the space way more than the speed. Here in SA I can get the 750GB drives for cheaper than the 150GB Raptors. That's 5 times the size for less money!!!
June 11, 2007 12:04:56 PM

i had chosen yes actually, that they are worth it, IMO anyhow (if the cost or capacity isnt limiting you too much)... seeing as how you cant get any faster without going into scsi territory, even when comparing raid of lesser hdds, and ssds arent practical yet either
June 11, 2007 12:25:19 PM

Yeah, there is always the IF factor. I just think in general I really wouldn't care to buy one if I can get 5 times the capacity for the same price or even less. You can get 2 320GB drives and put them in raid and it'll still work out cheaper and with doubled the size...
June 11, 2007 12:32:23 PM

If all your other components are high end already why not get a high end HDD?
June 11, 2007 12:37:24 PM

Dude you don't understand speed, space is for pirates.

2 raptors running in raid, your load times will be cut in less than half you will never have to sit through a load screen again. TRUST ME.

Raptors are worth it if you get 2 of them they are faster than anything else you get and if you actually ever see them working you will know why, you cannot explain how much better they are. IF you can afford 2 then GET THEM. Otherwise 1 is not worth the mula but 2 together are worth it. No matter what anyone says, a 7200 rpm will not come anywhere near a raptor. some aspects of the drive may be newer and better but a raptor is MUCH faster.

If you can afford to get 2 which it seem you can dont evenhesitate, but if you can only get one then forget about it.

Oh and to the darthmaul guy if you buy from berklands then what do you expect, get direct from rectron or bethesda, e-comp even but their service sucks and they are generally idiots.
June 11, 2007 12:38:21 PM

yeah, capacity has never been a raptors strong point... as far as raid for performance reasons, it is overhyped to be honest (particularly for the average, even enthusiast user)... that article THG did on raid being faster only suited synthetic benchmarks, but no practical uses at all (such as gaming, maybe they didnt want to upset anyone?)... having had 4 36GB raptors in raid 0, and then investing in a single 74GB a few years later, there was only a speed improvement, when it came to anything i did (i dont transfer large files constantly, or deal with constant nonstop disk thrashing)

so, raid aside.... if affordable capacity is the main reason for purchasing, raptors dont have much place, but for performance reasons, they definetly do
June 11, 2007 12:44:09 PM

Are you sure it is not just your raid controller? cause from what i have seen they are WAAAAAAAAY better. I will bet money on your motherboard sucking away the advantage if you say that raid did not help. Also the old raptors are not as good as the new ones. just cause the platter spins fast does not mean the hard drive is as good. Cost per meg does not matter when you have a delete button.
June 11, 2007 12:57:45 PM

RIGHT. I'd rather spend my monies on a VERY nice 30" (bigger maybe, depending on how much of the budget is left) screen and an 8800GTX, some after market cooling, a quad to OC like mad, big sound and a decent gaming keyboard, mouse and headset. Those kinds of things, not a way overpriced harddrive just to gain a couple of seconds of load time...

And who the hell are you calling me a pirate just because I have alot of space? Have you ever worked with REALLY big audio/video files? Yes I know the raptors would be nice for those as well but they are not big enough.
June 11, 2007 12:58:30 PM

I have used a raptor for 2 years as a boot drive. It works fast and is loud which is cool. With 11 case fans heat is not a problem. Raid is not really needed for a personal computer in my opinion. You can always use a 7200 rpm as a second drive.
June 11, 2007 1:02:20 PM

the controllers were on numerous older boards with raid (dont remember specifics), a couple nforce2s, an nforce4, promise fasttrak s150 tx4 (only a 33mhz pci card, so 2 raptors already saturated it), recent ecs intel chipset (dont know the controller), different stripe and cluster sizes... but they all were pretty similar, both on and off of raid... at least where it mattered (windows boot times aside, how often do you really need to restart though), i will say windows is slightly more responsive though in raid 0, so thats a plus

as far as the older raptors sucking... no command cueing, 8mb cache, 36GB platter, GD revision, hotter noisier more power hungry running in raid... newer one ncq, 16mb cache, 74GB platter, ADFD revision, quieter, and cooler, less power hungry (because it wasnt running in raid)... they were 3-4 years older, but even with 4 of them being in raid, it should make some difference above the single faster raptor... too many other articles pointing to the contrary though for average uses (the average user)

i used to be a heavy advocate of raid 0 (for everything disk related even "you want faster, just go raid, because the benchmarks say so")... up until i started paying attention to it, dissecting it beyond just benchmarks... to find out how much i was imagining things, and wasnt... raid can help (no doubt there), but for certain things it just really doesnt... and for those things, you are simply better off going without it... the average user for example, wont be able to see much difference at all, even for gaming (its very game specific at that point too though)... games arent designed for raid, some games see no benefit, or very little, current FPS show very little benefit for example (i know enough people want to claim the contrary to that though)... strategy games however may show a large benefit to loading (completely different game design)
June 11, 2007 1:29:47 PM

I have heard arguments from both sides of the house. I am currently running a Raptor 150 and a 750GB secondary HD for storage. The performance that I experienced from the raptor was a drastic change for me but of course mileage will very. I guess the question is what kind of computer user are you? Do you just turn on your computer, play a game then turn it off, or are you the user that surfs the internet a lot (raptors do make a difference with accessing and manipulating lots of small files such as cache) or do you edit photos that aren't over a gig each? I could go on about these uses but you get the point; they all increase the computer experience beyond just gaming and they make a well rounded computer, so just add one and get a large drive for storage. If in the future you want more performance then get another raptor and raid. Oh and by the way, I think the cost of the raptor is more because of the progress in that area, just look at the 36GB raptor, I bought one when the radeon 9800 was the hot thing, now the radeon is worthless in new games but the raptor is still good, just a little small. As for the noise, with a good case and one drive I can sleep 2 feet away with no problems.
June 11, 2007 1:35:52 PM

Quote:

2 raptors running in raid, your load times will be cut in less than half you will never have to sit through a load screen again. TRUST ME.

Raptors are worth it if you get 2 of them they are faster than anything else you get and if you actually ever see them working you will know why, you cannot explain how much better they are. IF you can afford 2 then GET THEM. Otherwise 1 is not worth the mula but 2 together are worth it. No matter what anyone says, a 7200 rpm will not come anywhere near a raptor. some aspects of the drive may be newer and better but a raptor is MUCH faster.

If you can afford to get 2 which it seem you can dont evenhesitate, but if you can only get one then forget about it.

Oh and to the darthmaul guy if you buy from berklands then what do you expect, get direct from rectron or bethesda, e-comp even but their service sucks and they are generally idiots.

I have one Raptor and am thinking of getting a second. I think its pretty fast on its own but here are some "problems" I am thinking about if I do that.

1.) To get best performance I would have to raid them, not a problem with my mobo but raiding brings a new set of issues.

2.) If raided striped, if one fails all your stuff is lost

3.) If you have boot problems or your OS gets corrupt like when I'm trying out OC settings the raid control starts to get in the way.

4.) If you install Vista or any other OS for testing or dual boot again the raid controller gets in the way unless it has support for it.

5.) If you have XP loaded as C: with the raptor as your boot drive and attempt to load Vista or any other OS, that OS will not install on the Raptor but on your other slower drives. This can be fixed by partioning the Raptor before doing the upgrade and installing Vista or whatever on a second partition of the Raptor but again...Who thinks of this BEFORE hand????

To many issues so I haven't decided...., I would have to have extra cash and be really bored to tackle all these problems.
June 11, 2007 1:52:21 PM

Quote:
Windows might load a second or two faster and you might shave a fraction of a second off your save times but with the heat, and noise generated and the expense per gig you would be much better off going with a couple of big 7200rpm drives.

When the Raptor was released it was significantly faster than any other drive which made it a name for itself but since then 7200rpm drives have been catching up. Your not going to see a large enough performance increase to justify the cost.

You took the words out of my mouth. The slight speed difference is not worth the price premium nowadays.
June 11, 2007 2:02:42 PM

Mmm...interesting topic this. I'm also looking to upgrade my HHD to something with good performance and have been considering a raptor for a while.

Can I just ask though, what would be the real world difference in running a raptor as opposed to a cheaper drive in say boot up, and load up games. Are we talking 1 or 2 seconds? If I was looking to get the fastest drive I could for around £100 would the 75Gb raptor be far superior to anything else? Or is there something that would be slightly (1 or 2 seconds) slower but at a better price/performance? I'm looking to use the speed for games, computer boot up and general usage and file copying.
June 11, 2007 2:06:25 PM

Way to flip your lid

an 8800 gtx is R7000
a 30" is R4500 MINIMUM
Big sound is about R2800 for audigy and the speakers are at least R500 for CRAP.

So go and find me a raptor that costs R14800 you must shop at incredible connection. A raptor is only R1800 for a 78 gb. Oh and you are a system admin or some such, so YES you are definitely a pirate cause you don't use your pc for the only thing that takes space, VIDEO, so IOW i will bet money there are many many MANY pirated movies on your pc, oh and yes, YOU ARE FROM SOUTH AFRICA. You, Jack Sparrow, likely have copies of all 3 movies on your pc. I did not directly accuse YOU of being a pirate but you seem to take great offense to it so it MUST be true, people are generally scared of/offended by the truth. Also for someone who is complaining about prices i doubt that you can afford the equipment to get good enough quality video equipment to fill up your space. Oh yes, it s also the middle of the day and you are supposed to be working so you are also busy slacking off and getting paid to do so so cram a sock in it.

To warezme (thanks for the piracy honesty in your very name) It is highly unlikely that you will have a crash so you are not that likely to lose your data. And if you can afford it you can have an extra drive with XOR data on it. No clue about the other stuff but i NEVER use more than one OS on a pc at a time. All you will need to do is install all your games on the raptor and you should get the speed from there, vista will still load slowly but that is not such an issue. basically if you have an internet connection all data is replaceable just keep your important stuff on your flash or something.

Raptors rule but raid only.

3) i have never broken my OS by overclocking so don't know about that.
5) well you will think of it before hand next time ;) 
June 11, 2007 2:10:22 PM

I know you wont get any in game difference, that would be silly to assume, but it is the load times that it helps, and it helps a LOT. i have a friend with 2 seagate cheetas ( i know they are scsi) but holy crap stuff loads and saves like nobodies business. I think i deleted this from one of my previous edits. It wont give you better fram rates, stuff will just save and load quickly. QUICKLY.
June 11, 2007 2:12:52 PM

I have a file server running 8x250GB on a RAID-5 and I use a raptor hard drive for the boot device. I have a boot partition on my Raptor as well as the RAID-5. I make a mirror of the Raptor(my normal boot drive) every so often so that if the Raptor dies I can just choose to boot from the RAID-5 while I RMA the Raptor. I do this because my Raptor died in Oct 2006 with no warning. Suddenly it wouldn't boot, and I was stuck with a brick to mail to WD. I installed Windows 2003 Server on the RAID-5 boot partition. When it came to performance, I saw very little performance difference between the RAID-5 and the Raptor. Raptors do make alot of noise(you can hear it over the 8 other hard drives that are all 7200RPM) and they do get pretty darn warm. Raptor's also come with a 5 year warranty, so that could be a plus depending on what brand hard drives you are buying. Also, since I got the 36GB version, I've often installed the common software I use and the pagefile on the raptor, and installed less common stuff on my RAID.

So really the list is simple(but complex depending on the purpose of the computer you are building):

RAPTOR-

+ faster(if you are considering only single drives and not RAID arrays)
+ 5 year warranty
- cost(ALOT more per GB)

RAID-

+ could be as fast as a Raptor
+ 5 year warranty if you buy Seagate drives
+ cost(cheap per GB)
+ single drive failure(if RAID-5)

Me personally, I'd go for the hard drive space. You can almost buy 2 500GB for the price of 1 150GB Raptor drive. Instead buy a RAID controller, and 3x500GB drives and have a RAID-5 so you have single hard drive failure and still not lose data.

I use the Highpoint RAID 2220 SATA controller and 8 250GB 7200.10 Seagate drives for my RAID-5. The great thing about RAID controllers nowadays is that you can do RAID expansion later as needed without having to lose data. I built my system with only 5 drives, and added them 1 at a time when I needed 250GB more space. I like to try to build my system to be 'upgrade resistant' for at least a year or 2. So I sometimes buy less powerful stuff for the initial build that will suit my needs now, and upgrade later when I feel I need to. Most non power users are generally more than content with what I consider 'less powerful' as I am a power user myself.

If you know what you plan to use the PC for you are welcome to PM me and i'll give you a more personal opinion.
June 11, 2007 2:13:39 PM

Look dude, you are trying to build a gaming rig, assuming that you will be using quality parts, you want to make sure that everything is you rig is beefed up, someone stated that space is for pirates? htas when you purchase multiple Raptors, I run 2 raptor x's in raid, but im planning on purchasing 2 more so that I can run my system in RaiD 0+1
The performace is well worth it, yes I understand that they are costly, I have the 150gb version, they ran me @ $210 a pop, PC club has them for that Price :D 
GET IT, you will love yourself, untill the 15,000 RPM Raptors come out, or if you decide to go with a seagate Cheetah 15,000 RPM, but those drives wont be out for a while :D 
GL :wink:
June 11, 2007 2:20:31 PM

LISTEN TO VEGETA!

SCSI is a bit too pricey to go for. even compared to the WD's.
June 11, 2007 2:36:11 PM

I know that opinion differ a lot, and rightfully so!

For me, you'd be better off with a new generation high-end large capacity HDD. Real life performance will be the same for many reason.

First, 7200 rpm HDD work on 3.5 inches platter as oppose to 2.5 on 10K rpm HDD. This is because 3.5 inches platters wouldn't stand such high rotationnal speed. This bring about equal "straight line" speed in the outside of the platters. You should see why I hope.

Also, 7200 rpm HDD have higher density (bits per square inches) platters. So at same speed, you read more informations. That also gets both type of HDD closer in reading speed.

Where a 7200rpm HDD will "always" lags, is in latency. But even this will be put aside by new NCQ (native command queing) technology that rearrange reading request to start with the ones closer to the reading heads and from there stay in line.

All this put together, and considering that you'll pay (Can$) 300-320$ (depending on revision) for a 150GB 10K Raptor and 285-335$ (revision also) for a 750 Seagate 7200 rpm HDD, there's no contest here to me. Even better would be 2*500GB WD 7200rpm drive in Raid for 290$.

But in the end, get more memory if you don't want to wait for you HDD except on applications opening.

Things would be different if you were thinking of putting 5000$ instead of 2300$ for your PC. The money you'll save can also be put on a better VPU/CPU for even better gains in performances.

P.S.: Go check Tom's HDD chart to see the difference.
June 11, 2007 3:04:17 PM

Its a gaming right right?

Well the question is, when you say gaming...do you mean games like texas hold'em or chess or RTS games where its load once and then it stays in memory.

Or do you play FPS games with lots of zone loading or MMO's where its accessing the games database and images a lot (plus zone loading)?

If the answer is the first one you will see little benefit from the raptor. If you play the second or any type of game where it access the drive other than once in a blue moon OR you multi task then a raptor makes a big difference.

On a scale from causal gamer to hardcore gamer, the closer you are to hardcore, the more raptors become required components in any gaming rig.
June 11, 2007 3:27:01 PM

Worth it? In the sense that your getting value for money? No. If you want the performance on a budget you can get 2x 7200rpm drives in RAID 0 that will outperform it.

But- remember RAID 0 is a much less secure way of storing data than 1 HD. If you dont like the extra risks involved with RAID 0, the raptor is the fastest you can get.

If I was shopping on a budget, would I get one? Nope. But, if you can afford the extra- its a damn nice luxury to have. Just dont sacrifice anything else in your system for it.
June 11, 2007 3:31:58 PM

I have a 74 GB raptor as my primary and love it. The claims of the excess heat is crap. I have a passive cooling zalman cooler on it which has rubber standoffs and that drive is quieter than my seagate 400gb 7200 and never hits more than 30 C under load and hits 23 c idle. The truth of the matter is, that it is all about how you set up your case. If you engineer your cooling solution like crap then the noise and heat could be a problem contingent upon your setup but if you aren't a NOOB then it won't be a problem and it will help with a bottleneck problem.

Whether or not it is worth it depends really on your budget and the guys above me note some worth while inquiries to make. What will you use it for and how worried about data are you? Primary drive with a secondary media drive then get 2 in raid zero if you have a nice MB
June 11, 2007 4:04:11 PM

I love my Raptor for all the reasons previously stated and I have no issues with heat or excessive noise. I recommend one and plan on buying another 1(or 2) for my next build.
June 11, 2007 4:41:59 PM

Ok, I voted yes, a Raptor is worth it in my opinion. Many people will object to the high price, heat, and noise. But when it comes to speed, it is still the king. It may be displaced by 7200 RPM drives running in RAID, but Raptors can run in RAID as well. When considering price, how much does the latest, greatest graphics card cost? When considering heat, how much do we complain about how hot the graphics cards are, and the measures that are taken to cool them? The same can be said about new, fast cpus.

Is a Raptor necessary? Not at all, but neither are 8800 GTX or 8800 Ultra graphics cards and a lot of other bits of hardware that enthusiasts buy. Can the money be spent on other better parts, cpus, graphics cards, etc. Sure, unless you already have the top cpu and graphics card of the moment. In my opinion, and as someone else pointed out, Raptors may even be a better investment in the long run. Two or three years from now, the Raptor will still be in place and expected to keep going. How many new cpus and/or graphics cards will be bought in that time frame? Even if a person doesn't upgrade their cpu/graphics card, newer and faster ones will be built.

I bought a Raptor and have been satisfied with it. Compared with the cost of the rest of the computer, the extra money wasn't that much. I do have a 7200 rpm drive as a second drive.

Anyway, that's my opinion and others are welcome to theirs. We all have our own priorities and will buy what we want as we feel we need.
June 11, 2007 5:55:17 PM

From what I know a raid with 2x 7200rpm's beat a single 10k rpm in performance value AND storage.

For my new setup, i have been looking towards getting 2x 320gig seagates to run in raid and a small 36gig raptor drive to install windows on.

Reason for the small one for windows are that Ive heard windows cannot be installed on raided drives and run properly (might be true might not be) and that windows is something that i wouldnt want to brake by raiding 2 drives if one where to go.

Then I can just load up windows dead fast and I have 320gig of raided super speed for apps games etc etc.

Whole setup would cost me $240 - $300. So its alright.
June 11, 2007 6:02:00 PM

Quote:
From what I know a raid with 2x 7200rpm's beat a single 10k rpm in performance value AND storage.

For my new setup, i have been looking towards getting 2x 320gig seagates to run in raid and a small 36gig raptor drive to install windows on.

That's pretty much the setup I have now, I just use a 74 gig raptor partitioned ~30gig for XP and ~40gig for vista, and 2 320gig 7200.10's in a raid0 for games. Runs great.
June 11, 2007 6:25:43 PM

If anything, id say this looks much mroe appealing than a raptor by far.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/117752

15k rpm scsi drive, and as far as I know that should out do a raptor drive by miles and its roughly the same price.
June 11, 2007 6:49:47 PM

http://storagereview.com/Testbed4Compare.sr

There are faster drives. And there are certainly comparable drives that offer a lot more capacity/$. Also, depending on what you're doing, a raid array of cheaper drives would offer a lot more performance/$.

Anytime someone asks if something is "worth it" they probably don't understand what they're asking... Worth WHAT? What are you trying to accomplish? Why are you trying to accomplish it? How and under what constraints are you trying to accomplish it?
June 11, 2007 7:06:13 PM

Quote:

You took the words out of my mouth. The slight speed difference is not worth the price premium nowadays.

this coming from the guy with the raptor in his sig :lol: 

i would go with the raptor for multiple reasons: $2300 budget, higher MTBF, decreased access times, and faster overall performance
June 11, 2007 7:22:08 PM

Quote:
Reason for the small one for windows are that Ive heard windows cannot be installed on raided drives and run properly (might be true might not be)

that is completely not true. every commercial windows server in the world runs raid (mostly 1, 5, and 0+1 though) even so i've built a dozen or so desktop systems running raid (with cards and with out) that have ran beautifully

Quote:
But- remember RAID 0 is a much less secure way of storing data than 1 HD. If you dont like the extra risks involved with RAID 0, the raptor is the fastest you can get.

when you run raid you add an additional component to go bad otherwise raid 0 is just as unsafe as a single drive ie drive 1 of 1 crashes you lose every thing drive 1 of 2 crashes you lose every thing (raid 0 only)

i run a raptor in my rig and will never go back, cpu/gpu makes the game play experience, but for loading, saves, initial load, web surfing, desktop publishing, all the other things i use the computer for the raptor makes the difference. the heat is not an issue and my gpu fan is louder then anything in the raptor will ever do.

so for absolute best performance 2 150 GB in raid 0, or 2 74GB in raid 0 then a lager 7200 RPM drive for data. and use a raid controller (for the same reason you're going to buy a sound card)

for cheap but good 2 320GB (or what ever size really) raid 0. gives you big size and does as well as 1 raptor for around the same price
June 11, 2007 7:25:02 PM

Quote:

this coming from the guy with the raptor in his sig :lol: 

i would go with the raptor for multiple reasons: $2300 budget, higher MTBF, decreased access times, and faster overall performance

When I bought my raptor(8mb cache btw :wink: ) the difference in speed was HUGE. There were no 7200rpm drives that even came close to matching the raptor in performance.

The same cannot be said today.

Raptors have not gained any performance since they were released, while 7200rpm drives have made leaps in performance that narrows the difference between the two to almost nothing.

Check out the benches for the new 1TB hitachi drive -
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2949&p=...

Yes, the raptor is faster by less than a tenth of a second.

if that .03 of a second is worth the ENORMOUS price tag of the raptor, then go for it. :lol: 

For the cost of 2 150gig raptors, you could get a 1000gig hitachi with nearly identical performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So, I say again, the raptor is most definitely NOT worth the price tag.
June 12, 2007 5:29:06 AM

Quote:
Way to flip your lid

an 8800 gtx is R7000
a 30" is R4500 MINIMUM
Big sound is about R2800 for audigy and the speakers are at least R500 for CRAP.
And you say I'm the one that buys at incredible connection?
Quote:
A raptor is only R1800 for a 78 gb.

And a 320GB drive is R791. That's about 4.5 times the size and less than half the price.

Quote:
Oh and you are a system admin or some such, so YES you are definitely a pirate cause you don't use your pc for the only thing that takes space, VIDEO, so IOW i will bet money there are many many MANY pirated movies on your pc, oh and yes, YOU ARE FROM SOUTH AFRICA. You, Jack Sparrow, likely have copies of all 3 movies on your pc.

I am not a system admin though our current one does come and ask me to help him out a fair amount of time. I do not have many many MANY movies on my drives as you state (the biggest drive I own is a 250GB) and I do not have any of the Pirates of the Caribean movies on my computer or on any pirated disks. I have the first two original and will patiently be waiting for the third.

Quote:
I did not directly accuse YOU of being a pirate but you seem to take great offense to it so it MUST be true, people are generally scared of/offended by the truth.
I am a very honest man so I have a huge problem with false claims. Especially since you don't know me from a bar of soap. You must be allknowing.

Quote:
Also for someone who is complaining about prices i doubt that you can afford the equipment to get good enough quality video equipment to fill up your space. Oh yes, it s also the middle of the day and you are supposed to be working so you are also busy slacking off and getting paid to do so so cram a sock in it.
What I own or what I do with my time has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand or with you. I help clients with their problems. No clients no work. So you tell me where I'm slacking off...
June 13, 2007 2:09:40 AM

Quote:

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally have two 320GB Seagate drive (not in RAID for security reasons), one 160GB Maxtor drive (from previous PC) and one 250GB MyBook WD USB2.0 drive, for a total of 1050GB (in marketing value) of spaces.

Now, considering that all new games take about 5GB for every one of them. Add that I don't remove games when I'm done with them (who knows when I'll go online with them). For 10 games that already use 50GB of spaces. Not too good when using a 74GB Raptor... isn't it :twisted: . Ah! And it's not 10 but 20-30 games that I've got on my HDD.

Add to this the more then 2000 pics that I took with my Nikon D80 and you get another 10-20GB and growing.

Now it's time to put in my MiniDV movies at 15GB an hours before doing any work on it. I have 10 of those tapes waiting for my vacations to be worked with.

Finally, about 30+ GB of MP3's I encoded from my own collections of 200CD, from Madonna to Iron Maiden, Bryan Adams and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Actually, only half of them I did already, so put this number up by a lot when done. This is only fair use back-up copy. No distribution on BitTorrent :evil: 

In case you didn't see it yet, I'm just trying to show you that you're just fu++ing st++id to think that capacity is only for pirates. I "might" loose 2 seconds over you to start any applications, but with 4GB memory I'll get it all back in a blink of an eyes.
June 13, 2007 3:23:23 AM

I bought mine back in 2004 I think, and it was the shiznit back then and still is now. Best component I ever invested in, still holds the performance crown and looks like It will for years to come. It's really not that hot, sometimes cooler than my 7200.10, the noise is noticeable but that doesn't bother me, only OS and heavily used games go on it so whenever it's making a racket I'm either only starting my PC up, listening to music, or gaming with headphones. My Movies/Music/Games that don't need awesome load time go on the 400Gb.

If you can afford one easily, get it, totally worth it.
You could mirror some 7200rpm's for a bit less money but then you have a RAID array to manage and a lot less data security. Load speeds are very noticeably increased, I particularly notice this in games like BF2 were your load time is what determines whether you get a jet or are ground pounding the rest of the map :D  .

Raptor's FTW.
June 13, 2007 1:45:32 PM

Quote:

Or anyone who uses their PC as a DVR and multimedia center. Video files take up a lot of space. For that matter games take up a lot of space nowadays too.

Quote:

No, they won't. If you don't know what you are talking about, then don't talk. Also if you don't know what you are talking about, don't tell people to trust you, when you shouldn't be trusted.

These reviews show the actual benefits in real-world applications that you will get from raiding your hard drives(including raptors).
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2969&p=...
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2974&p=...
The average benefits are usually between 3% and 8% for a raid0.
Not 100%. :roll:

Quote:

No matter what anyone says, a 7200 rpm will not come anywhere near a raptor. some aspects of the drive may be newer and better but a raptor is MUCH faster.

Here you go again "no matter what anyone says" when you are the only one spouting totally false BS.
Here is another Anand review showing the EXTREMELY SMALL difference between raptors and other, fast 7200rpm drives in actual applications.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2949&p=...

Man, please in the future do a little research before posting. The purpose of this forum is not to spread misinformation.
June 14, 2007 4:53:30 AM

No kidding on the games part. Stalker takes basically 10GB all on it's own. My CSS - fully updated and A LOT of maps and stuff - is about 20GB. Toca and some other games (can't remember which, got too many installed) takes like 7GB. That's only 3 games and I've got MANY and already we are about halfway to filling a 74GB drive...

I've only got IDE drives at the moment so even a 7200RPM drive will be a nice upgrade for me. I'd buy a raptor for bragging rights or if I have too much money to waste...
June 14, 2007 10:37:31 AM

No they're not worth the money... these are

Caviar RE WD1600YS

Download the firmware revision or die! But these in Raid0 should give you a po-boys raptor without the price. Oh, SIXTY BUCKS each.

f61
!