Slow shutdown

lokesh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi every one,

i have a problem regarding slow shutdown of my computer. It is taking more than a minute to shutdown

It all happening after updating my winxp and installing all my updates..

I thought of restoring to before date but i have removed all the backups of my updates using Tune Up Utilities.

please suggest me any solution to get rid of my slow shutdown problem

Thank you in advance

Solution
There could be an update that failed and is trying to download each time you close. You can either check the update site to see if there is still an update or turn off the updates and see if it still occurs.

lokesh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
hi friend,
i have tried disabled the automatic updates and there was no change in the shutdown time ,
i also tried the regedit options like "kill time" and some options but there is no change.

lokesh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
hi friend,
i have tried disabled the automatic updates and there was no change in the shutdown time ,
i also tried the regedit options like "kill time" and some options but there is no change.

pitstop87

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
You could do a force shutdown from the run command:
shutdown -f -s -t 00
If it helps speed up your shutdown then you can create a batch file with this command. That will allow you to perform the command by simply double clicking on the batch file. If you need help creating the batch file let me know.

lokesh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
do u mean making a shortcut file on the desktop., ya i am familiar creating the batch file

i think force shutdown the computer may harm the operating system.

lokesh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
not sure that it was the problem with the updates , after disabling the update option also it look a little bit time to shutdown.
after all the possible solutions, i repaired my xp. it has removed all the updates. now it is working correctly.
it is taking less time to shutdown.

But now the problem is all my restore points are getting deleted.
yesterday i saw restore point and today when i see, there was no restore point.

help me about this prob dear friend.
thanks in advance.......

You can check your drive settings to make sure there is enough space allocated for the restore points.
control panel-->system-->system restore tab

It could also be some sort of infection. Viruses like to go after restore points. You may want to boot into safe mode with networking and run a virus scan. Also, download malwarebytes, update it and run a thorough scan.

TRENDING THREADS