Need help with new phone options

Last response: in Network Providers
January 9, 2005 7:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

My parents are in need of a new phone (and I'm the only techie in the
family). They currently have a several year old TDMA/AMPS phone which is
on Cingular, but recent calls from it have proven the phone is causing
problems. As such, I have convinced them it is time to get a new phone.

They probably use it about 60 minutes, combined, in a given month. Their
hearing is decent, but a loud, clear earpiece is the primary goal. Easy
to find and use volume buttons are also needed. Easy to hold in the
hand - not too small. Not sure about flip vs candy-bar. They will have
to decide that when I learn of recommended models from you all.

They don't care about carrier - just that they get a no-frills phone. If
a cell phone existed which JUST had a keypad, decent display, and a loud
earpiece, they'd get it. No bluetooth, no hands-free. Just the phone.
A speakerphone might also be nice, if they remember how to enable/disable
it ;-)

So, with a 60-minute plan (or 100 minutes), and a simple phone with good
audio for hearing, they are open to TMobile, Cingular, or Verizon. They
don't travel much at all and live around the Lexington/Arlington/Bedford
Massachusetts area.

What are people's recommendations? I thought about pre-paid, but they
use the phone so little, they'd probably lose the money, and then have to
worry about replenishing the fund, which they might lose track of. Thus,
a contract would be in their best interest.

Thanks for any/all suggestions for phones, carriers, and plans, that also
work best, recpetion-wise, for their neck of the woods.

Scott

More about : phone options

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:56:09 PM

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> My parents are in need of a new phone (and I'm the only techie in the
> family). They currently have a several year old TDMA/AMPS phone which is
> on Cingular, but recent calls from it have proven the phone is causing
> problems. As such, I have convinced them it is time to get a new phone.
>
> They probably use it about 60 minutes, combined, in a given month. Their
> hearing is decent, but a loud, clear earpiece is the primary goal. Easy
> to find and use volume buttons are also needed. Easy to hold in the
> hand - not too small. Not sure about flip vs candy-bar. They will have
> to decide that when I learn of recommended models from you all.
>
> They don't care about carrier - just that they get a no-frills phone. If
> a cell phone existed which JUST had a keypad, decent display, and a loud
> earpiece, they'd get it. No bluetooth, no hands-free. Just the phone.
> A speakerphone might also be nice, if they remember how to enable/disable
> it ;-)
>
> So, with a 60-minute plan (or 100 minutes), and a simple phone with good
> audio for hearing, they are open to TMobile, Cingular, or Verizon. They
> don't travel much at all and live around the Lexington/Arlington/Bedford
> Massachusetts area.
>
> What are people's recommendations? I thought about pre-paid, but they
> use the phone so little, they'd probably lose the money, and then have to
> worry about replenishing the fund, which they might lose track of. Thus,
> a contract would be in their best interest.
>
> Thanks for any/all suggestions for phones, carriers, and plans, that also
> work best, recpetion-wise, for their neck of the woods.
>
> Scott

Flip may be better for listening cause they are close to ear.

LB
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:56:09 PM

"Scott Ehrlich" <scott@mit.edu> wrote in message

> My parents are in need of a new phone (and I'm the only techie in the
> family). They currently have a several year old TDMA/AMPS phone which is
> on Cingular, but recent calls from it have proven the phone is causing
> problems. As such, I have convinced them it is time to get a new phone.
>
> They probably use it about 60 minutes, combined, in a given month. Their
> hearing is decent, but a loud, clear earpiece is the primary goal. Easy
> to find and use volume buttons are also needed. Easy to hold in the
> hand - not too small. Not sure about flip vs candy-bar. They will have
> to decide that when I learn of recommended models from you all.
>
> They don't care about carrier - just that they get a no-frills phone. If
> a cell phone existed which JUST had a keypad, decent display, and a loud
> earpiece, they'd get it. No bluetooth, no hands-free. Just the phone.
> A speakerphone might also be nice, if they remember how to enable/disable
> it ;-)
>
> So, with a 60-minute plan (or 100 minutes), and a simple phone with good
> audio for hearing, they are open to TMobile, Cingular, or Verizon. They
> don't travel much at all and live around the Lexington/Arlington/Bedford
> Massachusetts area.
>
> What are people's recommendations? I thought about pre-paid, but they
> use the phone so little, they'd probably lose the money, and then have to
> worry about replenishing the fund, which they might lose track of. Thus,
> a contract would be in their best interest.
>
> Thanks for any/all suggestions for phones, carriers, and plans, that also
> work best, recpetion-wise, for their neck of the woods.

You could go with an ATT wireless prepaid GoPhone. The Nokia 6010 GoPhone
currently retails for 69.99. Go with the 19.99 monthly prepaid plan for
around 80 minutes per month.

These phones are still in abundant supply and Cingular is talking of
adopting the GoPhone format of prepaid wireless service.
--
SS
January 10, 2005 4:38:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I've had Verizon for ten years & through those years I have tried other
carriers. I have found VZW to be the best cell phone company. My opinion is
based on cell service & superior customer service. As far as phones, I'll
leave that to someone else. However, I do prefer the LG brand.

"Scott Ehrlich" <scott@mit.edu> wrote in message

> My parents are in need of a new phone (and I'm the only techie in the
> family). They currently have a several year old TDMA/AMPS phone which is
> on Cingular, but recent calls from it have proven the phone is causing
> problems. As such, I have convinced them it is time to get a new phone.
>
> They probably use it about 60 minutes, combined, in a given month. Their
> hearing is decent, but a loud, clear earpiece is the primary goal. Easy
> to find and use volume buttons are also needed. Easy to hold in the
> hand - not too small. Not sure about flip vs candy-bar. They will have
> to decide that when I learn of recommended models from you all.
>
> They don't care about carrier - just that they get a no-frills phone. If
> a cell phone existed which JUST had a keypad, decent display, and a loud
> earpiece, they'd get it. No bluetooth, no hands-free. Just the phone.
> A speakerphone might also be nice, if they remember how to enable/disable
> it ;-)
>
> So, with a 60-minute plan (or 100 minutes), and a simple phone with good
> audio for hearing, they are open to TMobile, Cingular, or Verizon. They
> don't travel much at all and live around the Lexington/Arlington/Bedford
> Massachusetts area.
>
> What are people's recommendations? I thought about pre-paid, but they
> use the phone so little, they'd probably lose the money, and then have to
> worry about replenishing the fund, which they might lose track of. Thus,
> a contract would be in their best interest.
>
> Thanks for any/all suggestions for phones, carriers, and plans, that also
> work best, recpetion-wise, for their neck of the woods.
>
> Scott
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:38:33 AM

Ben Skversky wrote:
> I've had Verizon for ten years & through those years I have tried
> other carriers. I have found VZW to be the best cell phone company.
> My opinion is based on cell service & superior customer service. As
> far as phones, I'll leave that to someone else. However, I do prefer
> the LG brand.

LGs are good. It's just that LG and all the others are ruining
a lot of good phones by sticking cameras in them...

-Quick
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in news:1105327357.312354
@sj-nntpcache-3:

> LGs are good. It's just that LG and all the others are ruining
> a lot of good phones by sticking cameras in them...
>
> -Quick

As a LG 4500 owner of about four days now, I really do not see the sense in
having a camera in a cell phone. I can not 'legally' take it to work, the
gym, and a few other places I go to.
January 10, 2005 11:39:13 AM

<kctom9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Scott,
>
> Look at Virgin Wireless. They market themselves as a hip provider for

Only if you live in an area that may happen to have good Sprint coverage
where the phone will be used.

> the 20's crowd, but they offer a good deal for the occasional user.
> They are actually the prepaid plan for Sprint. They charge .25 per
> minute. You must reup every 90 days with $20 which gives you 80
> minutes. But as long as you reup, you do not loose the minutes. You can
> also establish a credit card to automatically reup as needed.
>
> For $20 a month they would have 80 minutes and what they didn't use
> would roll over.
>
> I think that they still offer a cheap Kyrocera candybar style phone. I
> would take them to the store and let them try the phone.
>
> Tom

January 10, 2005 12:03:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Ben Skversky wrote:
> > I've had Verizon for ten years & through those years I have tried
> > other carriers. I have found VZW to be the best cell phone company.
> > My opinion is based on cell service & superior customer service. As
> > far as phones, I'll leave that to someone else. However, I do prefer
> > the LG brand.
>
> LGs are good. It's just that LG and all the others are ruining
> a lot of good phones by sticking cameras in them...

Exactly, I often work at locations where cameras are prohibited. The
carriers and phone manufacturers need to understand that many of their users
can neither use or want this stuff.

> -Quick

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <Xns95D9F12B3278Crbpkl@130.133.1.4>,
Ben A Gozar <azigni@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in news:1105327357.312354
> @sj-nntpcache-3:
> >
> > LGs are good. It's just that LG and all the others are ruining
> > a lot of good phones by sticking cameras in them...
> >
> > -Quick
>
> As a LG 4500 owner of about four days now, I really do not see the sense in
> having a camera in a cell phone. I can not 'legally' take it to work, the
> gym, and a few other places I go to.

You have 30 days to swap a Cingular phone for a different one (no
penalty, but only once). The LG VX4500 is not a Cingular phone however,
nor does it have a camera, so whats your point?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:24:56 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:09:03 GMT, Jack Zwick wrote:

>> As a LG 4500 owner of about four days now, I really do not see the sense in
>> having a camera in a cell phone. I can not 'legally' take it to work, the
>> gym, and a few other places I go to.
>
> You have 30 days to swap a Cingular phone for a different one (no
> penalty, but only once). The LG VX4500 is not a Cingular phone however,
> nor does it have a camera, so whats your point?

The origonal poster posted the message to the alt.cellular.gsm,
alt.cellular.verizon, and alt.cellular.cingular newsgroups.

That is what's causing your confusion.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:44:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1vj6we65bcs76$.9k4yvkai1c60$.dlg@40tude.net>,
Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:09:03 GMT, Jack Zwick wrote:
>
> >> As a LG 4500 owner of about four days now, I really do not see the sense
> >> in
> >> having a camera in a cell phone. I can not 'legally' take it to work, the
> >> gym, and a few other places I go to.
> >
> > You have 30 days to swap a Cingular phone for a different one (no
> > penalty, but only once). The LG VX4500 is not a Cingular phone however,
> > nor does it have a camera, so whats your point?
>
> The origonal poster posted the message to the alt.cellular.gsm,
> alt.cellular.verizon, and alt.cellular.cingular newsgroups.
>
> That is what's causing your confusion.

I'm aware of the cross-posting, but why complain about LG putting
cameras in their phones when he owns an LG phone with no camera.

Guaranteed LG would stop in a heartbeat if there wasn't a demand and a
profit factor involved.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:01:36 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:44:05 GMT, Jack Zwick wrote:

> I'm aware of the cross-posting, but why complain about LG putting
> cameras in their phones when he owns an LG phone with no camera.

He might have been justifying his selection of the 4500.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:37:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in news:1dtp04lf1c6zv$.1nx4mpxdh9job
$.dlg@40tude.net:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:44:05 GMT, Jack Zwick wrote:
>
>> I'm aware of the cross-posting, but why complain about LG putting
>> cameras in their phones when he owns an LG phone with no camera.
>
> He might have been justifying his selection of the 4500.

Well I wasn't aware this was being crossposted. My first reply was to a a
comment about having a camera in a cell phone. It really does not have much
to do with the brand or the carrier.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <FYGdnbbYavWbFn_cRVn-2Q@adelphia.com> on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:03:13 -0500,
"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Ben Skversky wrote:
>> > I've had Verizon for ten years & through those years I have tried
>> > other carriers. I have found VZW to be the best cell phone company.
>> > My opinion is based on cell service & superior customer service. As
>> > far as phones, I'll leave that to someone else. However, I do prefer
>> > the LG brand.
>>
>> LGs are good. It's just that LG and all the others are ruining
>> a lot of good phones by sticking cameras in them...
>
>Exactly, I often work at locations where cameras are prohibited. The
>carriers and phone manufacturers need to understand that many of their users
>can neither use or want this stuff.

Non-camera phones are readily available.

January 21, 2005 1:34:12 AM

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> They probably use it about 60 minutes, combined, in a given month. Their
> hearing is decent, but a loud, clear earpiece is the primary goal. Easy
> to find and use volume buttons are also needed. Easy to hold in the
> hand - not too small. Not sure about flip vs candy-bar. They will have
> to decide that when I learn of recommended models from you all.

Hey, I'll give the vx4400 phone a thumbs up for EXCESSIVE VOLUME! It
hurts my ears sometimes just talking.... and I cant turn it down any lower!

Other than that good luck finding what they need.

-Pete
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:27:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Scott- Are you sure you can't turn it down any lower? You should be able
to either use the volume switch (top button on left side) when the call is
in progress, or, when a call is not in progress, by using the Settings menu
> Sounds > Volume > Earpiece to adjust it to a level which is not hurting
your ears. The levels go from High, med-high, med, med-low, and low. I
would think the Lower settings ought to work just fine for you. Hope this
helps.

!