Delete windows folder

nutz

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I need help deleting the windows folder. i am currently using the windows.1 folder and the normal folder is holding 12GB.

tkaplan1983

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Nutz. Usually when you are asking for help it makes a difference if you put the actual error message your are getting. Can you elaborate on what you are doing? You said you are trying to delete windows.1 folder? How did you get this folder? Is this separate from your C:\WINDOWS folder? If you are trying to delete a the windows folder while windows is running you can forget it. As far as your folder sometimes this have permission on there which don't allow you to delete it. You need to start from the deepest folder and delete everything and work your way up. Example: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ delete all the crap in system 32 then delete system32 then delete windows. The easiest way to do this, is if you have a 3.5 floppy drive make a windows 98 bootdisk http://www.bootdisk.com/ and start your computer in dos mode and delete the folder from there.

Hope that helps

nutz

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
@tkaplan1983
The windows folder is not my main folder anymore it is windows.1 folder, i checked it with a run command %windir%.

when i try to delete the windows folder it says cannot delete FXSEXT.ecf: Acess is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or white protected and that the file is not currently in use.