Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you lock down services so nothing can be added without your

Last response: in Windows XP
August 17, 2009 5:01:02 AM

permission?

I am so tired of programs like itunes and steam adding services and making themselves start up automatically without my permission.

Is there a way to LOCK services and prevent anything from making itself start-up unless I explicitly give it permission?

More about : lock services added

Best solution

August 17, 2009 1:20:17 PM

I don't know if you are able to lock services. There are an abundance of options in XP professional within gpedit.msc that may allow something close to what you need to do.

A third party utility that is extremely good and alerts you of any attempted changes within Windows is winpatrol by BillP Studios (freeware).

This adds an extra layer of security and lets you take full control with what happens to your operating system.

You can read all about it on their homepage:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

I have been using it for years and am very happy with it.
August 17, 2009 5:03:17 PM

sadly there is no way to stop the installation of add-ons with software or services
m
l
August 17, 2009 9:32:07 PM

Some programs will allow you to customize the install, so you don't get all the add-ons. Then once the basic program is installed, you can configure the options to not startup with windows. You can also look in your startup folder to remove unwanted programs. You can also use msconfig to block programs and services when booting.
m
l
!