PCI-E Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_solomon

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
i'm hadware teacher @ goverment institution in Sri Lanka..
I was wondering what are the Specifications of 1x PCI-E interface..
like .. speed, link width, voltages...ect
can any one can tell me..
coz i cannot find it on web..

Thankxx

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
PCI Express x1 = 250 MB/s

PCI Express x2 = 500 MB/s

PCI Express x4 = 1 GB/s

PCI Express x8 = 2 GB/s

PCI Express x16 = 4 GB/s

PCI Express x32 = 8 GB/s

PCIe is based around serial links called lanes. With PCIe 1.1 (currently the most common version) each lane carries 250 MB/s in each direction. The PCIe 1.1 bus runs at 2.5 GHz, but to detect errors and provide timing, it takes 10 clock ticks to transmit an 8 bit byte. Therefore, each lane transmits 250 MB/s. The connection between card and motherboard consists of between one and 32 lanes giving a maximum transfer rate of 8 GB/s in each direction. Lane counts are generally referred to with an x prefix so for example x16 is shorthand for 16 lane. To put the speed into perspective, a single lane has nearly twice the data rate of normal PCI, a four lane slot has a comparable data rate to the fastest version of PCI-X 1.0, and an eight lane slot has a data rate comparable to the fastest version of AGP.

PCIe slots come in a variety of sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support. A larger card will not fit in a smaller slot but a smaller card can be used in a larger slot. The number of lanes actually connected may be smaller than the number supported by the slot size. While a 16 lane card cannot be used in an 8 lane slot it can be used in a 16 lane slot with only 8 lanes connected.

Unlike preceding PC expansion interface standards, PCIe is both full duplex and point to point. This means that while standard PCI-X (133 MHz 64 bit) and PCIe x4 have roughly the same data transfer rate, PCIe x4 will give better performance if multiple device pairs are communicating simultaneously or if communication within a single device pair is bidirectional.

PCIe is a technology which receives further development and improvement. The current standard version in general use at time of writing is PCIe 1.1; however, PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007. PCIe 2.0 doubles the data rate of each lane from 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.